U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,357,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Where is Highland Hills? I think Fred Rd will develop more in time... it has developed some in the past few years. I go walking alot in the neighborhood so I see things that alot miss. There is a steady momentum of homes being renovated and alot of doctors moving into the area or people that work in the Medical Center area. You just have to be a little picky about which house, which block, etc... some are better than others but on the whole it seems to be developing at a steady pace. I live about a mile from the lake.
I'm excited to see Fred Rd improving. It's really a great stretch. When we were looking in 2004 there wasn't that much available at a price range we felt was reasonable given the amount of work to be done. Our friends bought there a couple of years ago though and are very happy.

it really is great to live in a revitalizing neighborhood. I can see the appeal from the Med Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I need to visit Lavaca area... I am totally unfamiliar with that area but am interested to see it.
We call it King William's Servants Quarters. It's the area bounded by S. Presa, Durango, I-37 and I-90 (although the area north of Carolina is most appealing). Similar era to KW, but built by tradesmen rather than Captains of Industry, so the homes are smaller, more modest. Lots are a bit smaller but not much. A lot of variation, though some houses that are sort of mirrors of each other, being built around the same time. Our neighbor's home was built c. 1870s, our's c. 1880s, many others c.1900 and a few that look more c.1930s...then of course a few very new ones. I posted a link to my site with a few pictures in another thread...let me find it. I've taken more recently but haven't posted them yet.

It *was* ghetto not long ago. I moved here in 2002, renting (living here part-time, I was overseas half the year) and loved it. It was still 'borderline' by some people's consideration, but was clearly on the path to revitalization. We've aimed all along for revitalizing rather than gentrification - there are a lot of owners who have spent their entire 70+yrs in the 'hood, but are low income. We don't want to tax them out. Unfortunately it's been going that direction lately.

I love being able to walk downtown.

Highland Hills is south of I-10/east of I-37. Not sure of the exact borders. It's really an interesting place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 10:32 AM

944 posts, read 2,802,152 times
Cookiemeister, that's so interesting the you mention the traffic on Donaldson! When I visit my friend, it's hard to back out of her driveway because of the steady stream of cars going both directions.

Mclor85, I don't live in that neighborhood myself. My friend is really really sweet, so she's not drawing negativity to her. Now, if I were the one living there, I'm sure all of the sordid folks would come for me because I'm the one who's a raging B*#ch.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:46 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,986,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Cookiemeister, that's so interesting the you mention the traffic on Donaldson! When I visit my friend, it's hard to back out of her driveway because of the steady stream of cars going both directions.

Mclor85, I don't live in that neighborhood myself. My friend is really really sweet, so she's not drawing negativity to her. Now, if I were the one living there, I'm sure all of the sordid folks would come for me because I'm the one who's a raging B*#ch.
Donaldson is a main street that goes on forever. It is not super busy like other main streets but in the morning and evenings the work traffic can be a bit distracting for those with low tolerance... it is fairly low traffic the rest of the time. Has your friend ever mentioned that the noise bothers her. Her plaster walls should keep alot of the noise out.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:54 PM

She hasn't mentioned the noise. It's also possible that her electric bills are high because she has a flat tar and gravel roof. Maybe that makes a difference?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,986,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
She hasn't mentioned the noise. It's also possible that her electric bills are high because she has a flat tar and gravel roof. Maybe that makes a difference?
I don't know anything about the flat tar roofs but my neighbor has one... I wonder if there is attic space for insulation... if not, then that would definitely be a big problem because the roof gets the hottest. There must be some insulation for the ceiling. Any roofers out there that would know about a flat roof? If her walls are as thick as mine she should not have much of a problem with wall insulation. What is her exterior... wood, brick, stucco, rock? Does she have any openings around doors, windows, vents, fireplace... any open vents will suck all the cool air or hot air out and force her ac/heater to work continuously to cool/heat the house. Her home should be as air tight as she can get it. The air could be going out the fireplace if the vent is not closed and you really need a glass door for the fireplace to keep the opening closed nice and tight. I am no authority but I have learned a few things that I didn't know before after moving into this old house. My bills vary anywhere from 80 to 200 but are mostly in the 130 range. I don't know what the neighbor pay but now I am curious.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it on. Her house has a stucco exterior.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,936 times
Default Anyone know about the ducks.....

How does the city parks dept. keep the ducks safe and way from people? Are people allowed to feed the ducks with scraps and left overs? Are there any sign that say not to feed the ducks?

I am asking because it is becoming a health issue at the Heritage Duck Pond. People feed scraps, bread, chips and left over and on many occasions just throw scraps on the side walk as they park on the side of the street. This is also causing rats in increase.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:33 AM

99 posts, read 312,107 times
I used to live off of W Kings Highway and our home was broken into - about a week before Christmas. They took pretty much everything, including my ferret, and this was all in broad daylight. I had only been gone about 2 hours.
Our cars were constantly broken into as well and my next door neighbor had his SUV stolen right out of his driveway.
I had to park on the street and my car was constantly egged and messed with.
I liked going to Woodlawn Lake but I definitely wouldn't recommend living in this area.
Wayyy too much crime going on.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:57 PM

Yeah, look up the crime stats on the SA Police web site. It's astounding, and will only get worse the more desperate people become in these financially trying times.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:10 PM

222 posts, read 633,031 times
As much as I LOVE that neighborhood (the nicer parts) and it distresses me to see the areas that could be so great looking a little shabby.

I have to say that I'm honestly torn about the area. There are so many sections that are so charming but our experiences have been both good and bad. I have an aunt who lives in a house bordering Jefferson. Her house is beautiful, very old, well maintained inside but the outside needs work because she's old and can't do it all herself. She never wants to put any effort into it because the kids, after they get out of school, tear up her yard. She's complained over and over again but nothing is done about it. In all fairness, I think ANY yard next to ANY school would have problems but that's just one of her concerns. I have ANOTHER aunt on West Kings Hwy. . JUST before the historic section starts - her home was just broken into twice, once in broad daylight and they were almost gutted both times. They disabled her alarm system. I'm not sure how.

Driving home from school (we'd cut through there or stop to visit friends on the way home) last year, my daughter and I started noticing that at the corner of Woodlawn and Lake, I believe it was, where the bus stop is, that there were large gangs of kids starting to form where there weren't any before. There were more times than I can count on my hands, not long after that, that we'd see police there frequently either arresting kids or in the middle of breaking up huge brawls - literally two lines of kids facing each other just going at it and I mean fighting HARD. It was the scariest thing to see that!! I have never seen so many kids attack each other at once! These were ALL middle school aged children. When it's not fights, it's middle school aged kids making out all over the place. Of course this is right after school lets out. Another friend of mine lives in a gorgeous house over there but it's closer to fredericksburg rd. She's had several people who were "out of sorts" come banging on her door in the middle of the night. One time it was gentleman yelling all sorts of indecipherable things and the other was a man demanding money for a "sick child". Needless to say she called sapd and never opened the door but up until a few years ago she says she's never had problems.

With what I just mentioned aside, the place still has this amazing charm. I know that sounds weird but it just does. It varies from one street to the next and I still see quite a few homes being renovated which is great. I also see people coming in and turning large beautiful homes into fourplexes which is what my aunt has near her now and the second time her home was broken into, she got word that some of her possessions were residing with one of those tenants. They were described to a T so she's sure they were but they weren't able to catch the guy and he moved out a month later.

I desperately want to live in an older neighborhood away from the whole "outside of the loop" and "cookie cutter home" neighborhoods. It's just personal preference but it's another reason that I"m going to rent for a few years before I decide to buy another home somewhere where I'm not going to be happy because I don't want to go through what we're going through again after we leave here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or