Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 05:35 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The thing that breaks my heart about all of this is that San Antonio is a small community and I'm going to bet $1 that most of us will know someone who knows someone who knows someone affected by this. The immediate moments after these shootings is not the time to debate gun control or religion, the time is to support the families of the victims and family and friends affected through thoughts and prayers, whichever you choose. We can get onto the other topics in the next few days. And we need to do that, but less than 24 hours is not the time.
So, when a gun is used, it is thoughts and prayers and we need to wait to talk about the gun issue, but when a muslim uses a car, it is cool to talk about that right away?

Why the difference?

I'm still waiting for the talks to happen from Las Vegas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 05:36 AM

913 posts, read 886,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
nothing has been said about the "hero" of the day. the neighbor who stepped in with his own rifle and shot the gunman out of there. If not for him, the tragedy would have been even worse. Of course, the police will take him into custody, perhaps release him on bail, tell him he should have left the matter to the police, he will get 2--10 for manslaughter-----oh, hey, wait---this is Texas! Carry on, folks!
What exactly did he stop?. He shot at the shooter as he was leaving and the people were already shot up. Police don't even know if the shooter was hit by him. They are investigatigating to see if it was self inflicted gun wound or not. Not seeing where it changed the outcome yet. Maybe it did, or maybe it did not. Should wait to see the facts first.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:45 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,896 times
My heart and prayers go out to everyone. The families, friends, the community. This is horrible. I'm so sorry.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:13 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Sad tragedy again.....Las Vegas 59, Texas 26, the body count goes up faster and faster. Lets worry about immigration and ignore all this, right? BTW the defense of others is a defense in all 50 states in the land. The neighbor will be hailed as a hero,which he is, and will not be charged, Texas or no Texas. No place is safe in the most gun crazed nation in the world.
And why do you not mention the 8 people who were killed by a radical Muslin in New York City last week? Is their death less egregious because the weapon used against them was a Home Depot rental truck? Why don't you focus instead on finding a way to bring healing to this troubled souls who bring death and destruction? It's a not a gun problem it's a people problem.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:38 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
It is being reported that he was courtmartialed and received a dishonorable discharge from the Air Force, If this is true, Federal law didn't allow him to ever possess a firearm. So definitely some kind of failure there.
Are you sure? This article states that although he was disciplined by the military in 2012, charged by them with assault during the court martial and "confined" for a year and got a reduction in rank and a dishonorable discharge, he didn't in fact have a criminal record as an adult.

I'm not sure military records are taken into consideration during a background check for a firearms sale?

Church shooting suspect court-martialed in Air Force for assault on wife, child | KVUE.com

Old 11-06-2017, 06:42 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Sad tragedy again.....Las Vegas 59, Texas 26, the body count goes up faster and faster. Lets worry about immigration and ignore all this, right? BTW the defense of others is a defense in all 50 states in the land. The neighbor will be hailed as a hero,which he is, and will not be charged, Texas or no Texas. No place is safe in the most gun crazed nation in the world.
Yeah they have a lot of catching up to do to get to 2,996 killed on 9/11.......

That "hero neighbor" simply saved the world from media hype, media coverage of the perp for the next 2 years. Case closed, lets move along folks.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:52 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Are you sure? This article states that although he was disciplined by the military in 2012, charged by them with assault during the court martial and "confined" for a year and got a reduction in rank and a dishonorable discharge, he didn't in fact have a criminal record as an adult.

I'm not sure military records are taken into consideration during a background check for a firearms sale?
They most certainly are. Anyone with a dishonorable discharge will be denied, but I've read that he received a Bad Conduct discharge, and I don't think that would preclude him from buying a firearm. But the fact that he was convicted of domestic violence should have kept him from buying a gun legally.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:53 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Yeah....whatever...

I pray for these people. Innocent people who are now dead for no reason. This is a very sad day.
I wish I could Remington, I've just become so cynical about the entire thing.

I'm thoroughly convinced that "mass shootings" are going to become the "new thing". every wacko now has access to arsenals of weaponry.

We will utter some phony "platitudes" and not a ding dang thing will change. Personally I think the wackadoodles are now trying to "one up" each other so I'm thinking very soon we're going to see body counts in the hundreds.

I'm am no longer praying. just another day in Good ole US of A.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:55 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Can politicians please stop asking people to pray to God and all that BS. People did not elect you to lead us in prayers. Do something about guns. Either arm everyone or do what sane countries do.
A piece of sense...

Old 11-06-2017, 06:57 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Yeah they have a lot of catching up to do to get to 2,996 killed on 9/11.......

That "hero neighbor" simply saved the world from media hype, media coverage of the perp for the next 2 years. Case closed, lets move along folks.
wait what? In chicago there were 726 murders in one year alone. in one city alone.

catching up? are you kidding me, we left 9/11 in our rear view mirror years ago. or are we talking only terrorist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio