U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:59 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,690,898 times

Advertisements

I would think that a lot of the areas that have HOA's will not let you park the boat. That may be an issue that you can ask them about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 9,142 times
Now I'm really lost! I have no idea what Five-O means as the only point of reference I have is Hawaii 5-0!!!

The price range I mentioned is what we'd pay where we currently are for the type of home we're looking for. If it's not that expensive in SA then that's great!

Looking for a nice neighborhood where the homes have sidewalks, the yards are big enough for the kids to run and play and where the neighbors are friendly and down-to-earth and, well, neighborly.

Help!??

Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
Five-Oh = 78250. Our zip code in Silver Creek.

Silver Creek is way under your budget, though. I really don't know where to recommend so I'll just back out now.......

Good luck! We won't be neighbors, but oh well.............

Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,505,235 times
I was going to say Oakwell Farms, but I don't think you can get in under 300K. The least expensive house there is listed for 305K. You do get what you pay for; manned 24 hour gate, clubhouse, pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, parks. They have a 4th of July Parade. They tie into the desirable northwood neighborhood through the elementary school. It's about 2.5 mile north of Ft. Sam.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:37 PM

18 posts, read 24,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Five-Oh = 78250. Our zip code in Silver Creek.

Silver Creek is way under your budget, though. I really don't know where to recommend so I'll just back out now.......

Good luck! We won't be neighbors, but oh well.............
Saphire, Silver Creek sounds like an interesting area! Tell me more please
Is it similar to Westcreek?
Mind you, I've not seen any of these places in person but plan to next week!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:54 PM

I honestly don't know much about Westcreek, except for what I read in the Potranco/1604 thread. I know we have a lot of "regulars" on here that live there, and overall they seem pretty happy. I think if you look through that thread, you'll find out tons of info! Potranco and 1604

Silver Creek is an older (my house is almost 25 years old now ) HOA-run neighborhood. We have tons of trees, which was a major selling point for me. We also have a nice neighborhood pool/lodge, with an elementary school at the front of the subdivision (NISD--Timberwilde Elementary) where my son attends and does extremely well. Next year he'll be at Connally Middle School. The only interaction I've had there is with the band teacher--and I must say he's awesome and really loves his job. My son can't wait to get his baritone and start playing!

Silver Creek has graffiti problems, and there are lots of houses for sale right now, and 78250 is #1 for foreclosures in SA.
SA Foreclosures by Zip Code

That said, we really like living here, and lots of people do. We even have a resident blogger who offers up his own take on the 'hood.
Silver Creek 78250

Hope that info helps! Are there better neighborhoods in SA? Of course, but ours is pretty cool.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:41 PM

18 posts, read 24,476 times
Is there anything being done about the graffiti? & are there other crimes along iwth the graffiti? Sure looks like a nice area...hate to see nice places get icky from stinkin' taggers etc.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:32 PM

Yes, actually if you click on the blog link, the neighbors are actively trying to combat the little SOB's. They just had a clean-up last weekend (which I missed) and more are scheduled.

It is a nice area, with very little crime in my cul-de-sac, but there are property crimes everywhere in SA. With the economy going bad, it's going to get worse.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 PM

20 posts, read 65,095 times
Thanks for the heads-up! As I find some neigborhoods I'll post them and see if anyone knows anything about them.

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:55 PM

226 posts, read 820,230 times
Default Cibolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileike View Post
I'll jump on board here.

My family and I will be relocating to SA from Seoul Korea in June. I will be working at RAFB. We have two sons, 2yrs and 5 months. Our price range is 120-170k. We would like a SAFE community within 5 miles or so of the base. I have been looking in Converse, Schertz, Ciobolo and Universal City. We want a 4 bdr 2 bath with parking for a boat. I am a little concerned about crime from what I have see on the postings but the data doesn't seem to fit the descriptions. Please help me to figure out what it's really like!

I have spent a little time in SA and I love the area. Lots to do! I just want to find a safe community close to the base. Jet noise doesn't bother me...Gas prices do! I hope to ride my bike to work on occasion. Pretty avid rider!

I look forward to any help you can provide!

I would stay away from Converse and look at Schertz and Cibolo. The Schertz Cibolo school district is one of the better districts in San Antonio. I prefer Cibolo over Schertz - smaller and its pretty much all residential with 90% of the homes being fairly new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio