U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 PM

147 posts, read 34,698 times

Advertisements

TexasDreaming is not factoring the letters to the editor here in Texas from people who identify themselves as Californians. They lecture us - "you should not eat fried corny dogs at the State Fair - you should eat wine and cheese instead." They complain that the Whataburgers should be changed to In-n-Outs. The Taco Buenos should be changed to Taco Bells. Dr Pepper located in vending machines should be changed to Pepsi. They tell us Tex-Mex is awful.

TexasDreaming, help me reconcile this. How is this laid-back and accepting?

Last edited by LastDallasNative; 12-12-2006 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Took out sentence

Old 12-12-2006, 02:13 PM

530 posts, read 1,498,764 times
1st of all I live in L.A. I live here because of family and friends. I have lived here for about 22yrs.

I love San Antonio and come just about every month for business.

If I mention to someone about Texas in L.A. they have nothing good to say because they are usually secular progressive and think the state is full of far right-wingers.

Also alot of people here hate Bush and since Bush is from Texas they hate Texas.

I think people who move to TX from CA are smart, CA is not what it is cracked up to be!

Its a fact that alot of people here do have money and went to Texas to buy property because to us its cheap.

Not everyone is snooty or rich here, but alot are.

In L.A. ten years ago the median price of a home was $155,000 today its about $600,000 assuming you bought ten years ago, you have alot of money!

Old 12-12-2006, 03:50 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,992,692 times
Um, Bush is NOT from Texas. He is from the Northeast. He just wants to play cowboy.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 PM

217 posts, read 471,161 times
Yeah, G. W. Bush was born in Connecticut.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:06 PM

545 posts, read 1,638,031 times
Default Why I moved to SA

I moved here to do my student teaching. Since the school districts here are growing so fast, Northside in particular, they have a 'deal' set up with universities up north where you can do your student teaching in San Antonio instead of your home state. I know for sure the Illinois State University and the University of Northern Iowa have these programs...not sure about others.

Anyway, I grew up in the same town where I went to college. I wanted out. It was the fall of '96 and I was ready for a warm winter. I decided that student teaching in Texas would be way better (and warmer) than doing it in Illinois.

I found two of my classmates who were also considering the program, and we rented an apartment together. We also rented furniture and set up all of our utilities and such from Illinois. We moved to the state sight unseen.

Within two weeks of moving here, I knew I was going to stay. The weather, the people, the small-town feel of San Antonio were all selling points.

I only wish I had purchased some acreage 10 years ago when I moved here...

Old 12-14-2006, 01:56 AM

678 posts, read 2,039,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDallasNative View Post
TexasDreaming is not factoring the letters to the editor here in Texas from people who identify themselves as Californians. They lecture us - "you should not eat fried corny dogs at the State Fair - you should eat wine and cheese instead." They complain that the Whataburgers should be changed to In-n-Outs. The Taco Buenos should be changed to Taco Bells. Dr Pepper located in vending machines should be changed to Pepsi. They tell us Tex-Mex is awful.

TexasDreaming, help me reconcile this. How is this laid-back and accepting?
It is probably backlash.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:30 PM

469 posts, read 1,743,933 times
Those people that lecture you about not eating fried foods were just as annoying in California complaining about something else. I go to the State Fair specifically for the food, ours was right on the beach at the race track in Del Mar. Deep Fried Twinkies baby all the way! Oh and those chocolate covered everythings, mmmm. No those people are just bitter because they know what they're missing. And we're hard core Dr.Pepper fans, always have been. Mr. Pibb is not a sufficient substitute either.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:54 PM

530 posts, read 1,498,764 times
Is San Antonio the new phoenix?

Old 12-17-2006, 01:33 AM

21 posts, read 132,418 times
Thought I'd jump in here and join in the fun. I recently took a job in San Antonio a few months ago. I am originally from Houston. I have lived in Texas most of my life. I have also lived in Oklahoma, Minnesota, and New York. Once you have lived in Texas it is hard to live anywhere else (particularly for financial reasons and quality of life). I had a job offer in Irvine, CA (Orange County). I flew out there for a few days. They took me to Laguna Beach both nights and we ate at very nice restaraunts. They also drove me around South Orange County to get a feel for the place. Living in Texas most of my life, I know Texans are friendly. However, when I was in California everyone treated me very nice. Now CA and TX may be on complete different sides of the political spectrum but it depends on your ability to hold conversations with others, regardless of their political background. One of the days I was there, we went to visit a customer in Newport Beach. This guy is a billionaire and he owns an island in Vancouver. He made all his money in real estate (go figure). He proceeded to tell me that Texas sucks and that it's "not what it once was," whatever that means. Now, I could have gotten pissed off and assumed all Californians are like this, but they are not. Some Californians are jealous because they are looking for a way to get out of California! I also find it fun to tell people I rode a horse to school and I wear cowboy boots all the time because most people believe it. I was very close to taking the job out there but after praying about it, I chose the job in San Antonio. It was difficult, because the people out there made me feel at home. Anyways, just wanted to add my two cents.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:12 AM

4,794 posts, read 10,195,230 times
Wow....this isn't a competition is it? Every place has it's pros and cons.....and good and bad apples. I'm sort of laughing at this California/Texas comparison because I was born in CA and live in SA! One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the huge military population here. THAT is how I got here...and that was ages ago. I've lived in Europe, the Midwest, and the deep South.....along with my earliest years on the West Coast. The analogy that people here in SA don't know much comparison outside of Texas just doesn't wash in my circles. Most people I know are well traveled and have seen and experiences culture all over the world. Many of these people are fine educated diverse individuals that got transfered to SA and decided to retire and settle here. The trade off for a slower paced and less stressful daily existence for more "intellectual" culture is most likely a choice, not a fault. Chicago is and AWESOME city....and definitely full of intellectual stimulation of another nature....but driving on the freeways and commuting is a nightmare. So is the cost of living. Again...it's all a trade off......no right or wrong answer to this question, and no need to be critical of anyone's choice to live here or anywhere else. I lived in DFW for a number of years, and loved the Museums/Theater/Symphonies etc...but I didn't know how much daily life stressed me out until I relocated back to SA. I think the "big city" with a small town feel is part of the lure here. It's just a choice...you either want that or you don't. It's not a bad thing.

Robert, SA may be more for some of those people who have "been there and done that"....and are ready to be more "domestic" and family oriented. I can see that it may not appeal to someone who isn't in the mindset.....but again...nothing wrong with that.

One other thought on SA.....it is also much more inaccessible than "interstate" cities. Trade is more difficult down here, and shipping etc is a real problem because of cost. For that reason a lot of big industries don't build this far South. In some ways that's bad for the economy and job market, but it does keep the booming growth and population demands more manageable. Some call that backwards, but it really translates to slower and more steady growth.

As I shop for a new home, I'm finding out that SA is growing faster than ever before. Housing costs have been climbing right before my eyes as I've searched the last several months.....it's a seller's market right now.....but not for too much longer.

Last edited by wCat; 12-17-2006 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: sorry for typos and spelling....do we have a spell check here? ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio