Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 AM

29 posts, read 53,484 times

Advertisements

Rental homes are spiking everywhere; it's a shift that we will have to get used to. But I wish HOAs would get to work on the issue of how more renters/fewer owners living in properties affects the neighborhoods/subdivisions as a whole.

Yes, there are plenty of trashy renters who have no vested interest in the property. I've seen the changes over the 12 years I've lived in my subdivision. But there are plenty of owners who got themselves into houses where they could barely cover the mortgage and were completely unprepared for improvements and landscaping, routine maintenance and repair expenses, so their houses look just as crappy as the rental properties.

I just returned from a trip to Southern California, where I spent time in neighborhoods with a fair amount of ethnic diversity, education and income levels not too different from what I see around me in SA, and more rental homes than they were used to seeing a few years ago. Everywhere I went, the homes were immaculate from the curb, no dumped furniture on the side of the road, no tagging, no stray animals, no cat furniture, rug sales or puppy giveaways at the intersection...it was depressing to come back to SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 02:19 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcresident View Post
Rental homes are spiking everywhere; it's a shift that we will have to get used to. But I wish HOAs would get to work on the issue of how more renters/fewer owners living in properties affects the neighborhoods/subdivisions as a whole.

Yes, there are plenty of trashy renters who have no vested interest in the property. I've seen the changes over the 12 years I've lived in my subdivision. But there are plenty of owners who got themselves into houses where they could barely cover the mortgage and were completely unprepared for improvements and landscaping, routine maintenance and repair expenses, so their houses look just as crappy as the rental properties.

I just returned from a trip to Southern California, where I spent time in neighborhoods with a fair amount of ethnic diversity, education and income levels not too different from what I see around me in SA, and more rental homes than they were used to seeing a few years ago. Everywhere I went, the homes were immaculate from the curb, no dumped furniture on the side of the road, no tagging, no stray animals, no cat furniture, rug sales or puppy giveaways at the intersection...it was depressing to come back to SA.

i think what i noticed the most, personally, was that in sa it practically takes an aggressive hoa to keep a neighborhood looking nice. at least, that seems to be the complaint. back in my hometown, there were very few hoa's (gated communities were the ones that mostly had them, that might have changed by now though) and the worst neighborhood there tended to look a lot better than the best mid-range neighborhood here, as far as general maintenance of the property and neighborhood upkeep is concerned. not to belabor the point, sa isn't the only city i've been to with this phenomenon. but just to say i've felt the same way, wcresident. it's almost surreal sometimes.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 PM

63 posts, read 116,891 times
I have owned land out here for 24 years, lived in the house we built on the land for 14 years and in all fairness, the bar and trailer parks were here way before the houses. You all knew they were here when you bought. It's not fair to condemn them now because someone built a houseing development next to them.
I do agree the weekend flee market must go. There are no parking signs there and if everyone would call 311 and complain when you see them, they could be stopped.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
I liked the Potranco of 2001 (when I moved here) much more than I like the modern one. It was SO nice to be able to drive for miles without even passing a car (yes, you could actually do that during the day even). I also liked what I called the "secret Potranco" outside 1604. It was like you were out in the sticks instantly and now it's just a non-stop line of idiots in cars..

Old 07-06-2011, 02:29 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I liked the Potranco of 2001 (when I moved here) much more than I like the modern one. It was SO nice to be able to drive for miles without even passing a car (yes, you could actually do that during the day even). I also liked what I called the "secret Potranco" outside 1604. It was like you were out in the sticks instantly and now it's just a non-stop line of idiots in cars..
Werd! Potranco/1604 is the new modern Nacagdoches/1604 except you got the list of idiots who U Turn into walmart from the double yellow solid line.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:40 PM

nice.. I haven't seen that one yet, but I can totally believe it happens often. I've noticed most of the worst (slow) drivers always turn into wally world. Coincidence? creo que no..

Old 07-06-2011, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
gas station going up on marbach and 1604 corner. the property owner nooner has different stores around town.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM

could've been worse I guess..

Old 07-07-2011, 07:40 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I agree, rd2007....heck, I'd take the Potranco of '91, '81 or even '71, when I was a kid. I remember them all and it was a much different place then. As kids, we used to walk down Potranco to the country store at Talley Rd and hardly ever saw a car pass. Anything past 1604 was considered "the boonies" or "the sticks". That bar, which was mentioned earlier, started out as another little store but over time it grew into what it is today. The trailers and few homes in Cool Crest were there too, though folks then had pride of ownership.

Oh well...I'm not down there as often as I'd like for visits, but I'm glad to have my memories of what used to be since it will never be that way again.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 AM

yeah, all the "progress" we've been making lately is pretty recessive..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio