Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:35 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
Its very sad....... Very unresponsible of thier parents...........

Why??? -- I have no idea why ppl act the way they do now -- They are so out of it.....

Poor little one
You don't know the specific facts and specific motives of the parents or the staff. How dare you jump to conclusions and throw uncalled blame around! The parents are probably devastated! If your child suffered a horrible accident under someone else's watch, how would you feel if ALL fingers pointed at you?!

Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
Not to say a GoFundMe won’t happen, but I do know the family specifically asked a mom’s group I am a member on if FB to remove a discussion about this so they seem to want privacy at this point. The discussion on FB started when people saw the commotion at LTS and we’re concerned so it was info sharing initially but of course a lot of the questions about responsibility came up. Some comments came from parents who had used or were using this location for swim lessons. There is also a discussion on my Nextdoor which is for neighborhoods where LTS is located. I can say that a few people have already said they were pulling their children out.

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 02-12-2018 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-12-2018, 07:48 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't understand the mentality of some parents. Drop off a 3 year old at a swimming school AND leave???
What parent with a right mind would do that?
Most places REQUIRE parents to remain in the venue premises for the duration of the lesson.

There is not only the school to blame....

However, I don't see such requirements on their website. Perhaps there is another Rule Book handed to the parents.
https://love-to-swim.com/uploads/Lov..._6-19-2014.pdf

Being a moderator. I am DEEPLY disappointed in your ability to blame the parents. This is a horrific accident, and without facts there is no one to blame at this point. Do not jump to conclusion in tragedy.

I have experienced similar events, and to blame the parents on this thread. Deeply disappointing IMO.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:53 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
A moderator has his/her right to their own opinion. Do we have to expect moderators to confirm to every one of our own opinions?

Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
A moderator has his/her right to their own opinion. Do we have to expect moderators to confirm to every one of our own opinions?

No it is just deeply disappointing where people place blame, without knowing facts, especially in a tragedy like this.

Ive gone through similar experience in my personal life, and to blame the parents is HIGHLY disappointing.

My prayers are to the family. Their lives will be forever changed. Peace

Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 AM

85 posts, read 201,093 times
My son attends the Huebner location. For normal swim lessons the parents are required to attend. In addition to the swim lessons, the school acts (and is likely licensed) as a day care for summer camps and these occasional "date night" outings. Our son never participated in one of their 'date nights' but the entire point was for the school to watch your kids while the parents did something else. I think it's important to remember that these parents were trusting the same school they attended on a weekly basis. It's likely that they've been going for over a year without incident or cause for concern. The school pushes the importance of water safety even if they didn't practice what they preach. I agree that blaming the parents is disappointing.

The school hasn't shared the details of the accident, but they have two small indoor pools. One is shallow enough for a 3-year-old to easily stand. The other is about 4-5 ft deep so the instructors can stand but the children could not. My guess is that the child wandered from the shallow pool to the deeper one without anyone noticing. That this could happen at all has me deeply worried about the safety procedures and practices of the school. I have never personally felt that my son was in an unsafe situation while at the school and have been happy with the instruction. He likes his coach and is safer in the pool because of the instruction he's received. I'm not sure what I am going to do moving forward. Obviously I will never let him leave my sight at the school, but that's been the case anyway.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
A moderator has his/her right to their own opinion.
As an ex-moderator here, I second this. Calling out a moderator for expressing an opinion on a local issue while serving as a moderator is a low blow.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:25 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
To me the most ridiculous piece of this .....debacle, is that it was "Date Night" for the parents at the swim club for kids. Leave the kids so as to have a good time without them?
Right. Great idea. I would myself, never do this sort of thing. My children were my life when I was a younger man. This is like the very wealthy who send their children away to expensive schools.
I cannot fathom such an idea. The kids were the fun part of youth. Not- for Heaven's Sake going out and fulfilling some self indulgent whim as in Valentine's Day. The heck with Valentine's Day.
They simply failed their child. May God forgive them and they themselves. I am deeply,deeply sorry for them.
That's all I have to say about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
As an ex-moderator here, I second this. Calling out a moderator for expressing an opinion on a local issue while serving as a moderator is a low blow.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:47 PM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
They simply failed their child.
Definitely not something I would say to the child parents.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
We know a young couple that lost their child at a daycare center about a year ago. The parents are still struggling with the loss. But young kids are like herding kittens. They're cute, they're fun, and they have a mind of their own. I'm sure the staff at the swim center feels the pain just like the parents. You can't work at a place like that and not LOVE kids. It's the same for the daycare center of the couple we know. The staff cried just as hard over losing the child. In some respects though, you have to know that when you leave your child where it is not a one on one supervision environment, things are going to happen. We all hope that what does happen is not bad. But then, that's not reality as bad things happen to good people. I feel for both the staff and the parents. Both have lost here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio