Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times

Advertisements

I think it's more of a San Antonio thing. I always see people throw trash out of their vehicle and honking at them and giving them the thumbsdown does no good. I'm sure there's a good explanation, but I'll leave that for those that can figure out the obvious...

as far as getting checked at walmart, I never get checked because I don't shop there. Easy solution..

edit- as far as the privacy thing, you're in their store and that takes away quite a few of your "rights". and if you think that is bad, drive on Lackland some day and notice where the Constitution stays once you cross the line..
Same solution applies here though. If you don't like it, don't shop there..

Last edited by rd2007; 03-24-2008 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
If being ask to see my receipt was a problem then I wouldn't shop there.But I never have minded.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:15 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Guilty of what? It's for your protection. They are just making sure that you didn't leave an item or two behind at the cash register.
LOL, riiiighhht. Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
I do believe you have a legal right to refuse that inspection - this has been a huge debate online for a while.
Absolutely correct. I read a blog where somebody made a big deal of this a few months back with a real anal retentive 'door nazi' (as I like to call them) because of the principle of the thing. They actually prevented this person from leaving by blocking the exit. By the time the Police got there, said person was allowed to leave because unless the store actually has substantial evidence of you shoplifting, it's a violation of your rights to have to show them anything. BTW, this wasn't Walmart; I think Frys Electronics.

[cynicism]]This may change soon though with the Patriot Act... one amendment at a time. [/cynicism]

I know what old lady the OP is referring too. Next time you come there and anyone asks you to stop while you are stepping out, laugh... and say noooooppe. What can they do? If they assault you, sue. Lord knows there are enough Law Firms in S.A.; not saying they'd even touch it were it not a significant case of assault. But that being said, I do feel for the seniors they put at the door to do this sort of thing... it's not really their fault.

That being said, I show my receipt to avoid the hassle of blissful ignorance but I know it is wrong, no matter which way you cut the dice. What's more ironic is the fact that some gladly accept this as 'shopping' at the store and do not value their rights (exception being CostCo because they don't bag and it's a membership only store). It's exactly that sort of thinking that has this out of hand [current] Federal Gov't tossing out the constitution and our civil liberties. Besides, that's what Walmart has all those security cameras for isn't it? Heck, I'd bet my bottom dollar that shoplifting doesn't even make a slight dent in their bottom line anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post

Walmart Self-Check Out lanes??? The one at Military and 410 have NEVER had their open.

I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think self check out would work. I used to see people blatantly steal stuff (e.g. one lady in front of me scanned one box of Tylenol and stuffed a second in her bag and acted confused when it didn't scan [yeah right!]). This WM was in a well to do Suburban Chicago. I think the crookedness at my the Military and 410 Wally-world would be exponential, demographically speaking.

That being said, I've never seen self check out machines at Walmart here. Did you say they have them at the Walmart at 410 and Military?

Last edited by tekka-maki; 03-24-2008 at 02:39 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM

213 posts, read 568,177 times
Having worked for Wal Mart, for a few years, (but not at this time). The reason they stop you at door and ask for receipt randomly, is for a few reasons. Large tickets items, or things that do not fit in a bag well, to make sure the cashier has done their job and not overlooked certain items especially at bottom of carts. Another reason is random surveys of receipts have helped keep down the amount of lost prevention (theft), they have been able to stop a decent amount of theft with just doing this quick survey of receipts. Third, Offices of Benton Arkansas make up the rules for each and every Wal Mart, so if they say we need this to step up then it will step up in that particular Wal Mart, they do keep a check on things such as this.

If your Wal-Mart is dirty, over crowded, needing more sales associates, contact Wal Mart through any of these channels and register your complaint, they normally will get back to you, especially if you are making a sincere, valid complaint.

Contact Us

[LEFT]Thanks for your interest in learning the facts about Wal-Mart. Use this page to share your thoughts and ask the questions you'd like answered.
Getting connected is easy.[/LEFT]
By Phone:
  • If you're a customer, call 1-800-WAL-MART
  • If you're an investor or analyst, call 479-273-8446
  • If you're a journalist, call 1-800-331-0085
By Email:

By Mail:
  • Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
    Bentonville, AR 72716-8611

Old 03-24-2008, 11:37 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsawomanthing View Post
Having worked for Wal Mart, for a few years...
This message has been sponsored in-part by the good people of Arkansas and the Sam Walton Foundation

BN

Old 03-25-2008, 04:24 AM
lcw

118 posts, read 669,626 times
I unfortunately had to shop at Wal-Mart 3 times in the past month and have never once had my receipt checked. Maybe I don't fit the profile of what they are looking for??

Old 03-25-2008, 04:40 AM

337 posts, read 1,431,805 times
That being said, I've never seen self check out machines at Walmart here. Did you say they have them at the Walmart at 410 and Military?[/quote]

I've lived in this city for 4 years. Previous to this city, I'd never been asked to show a receipt upon leaving Walmart. They DO have self check-out lanes at 410 & Military, but they have never been in operation. They also DO have them at the 1604 & Culebra location and they are up and running most of the time. I am ALWAYS stopped if I use the self check-out lane. If they are going to stop everyone who uses the self check-out lanes, then it seems stupid to install them in the first place.

I guess I simply do not see the need (even whether or not it is legal or loss of rights or whatever!) for them to put a "door nazi" in place for checking receipts when they already have monitored cameras inside their stores to watch any and all customers while they are shopping AND the alarm at the door to catch you IF you are shoplifting! To add insult by asking for your receipt seems like harassment!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 AM

337 posts, read 1,431,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsawomanthing View Post
Having worked for Wal Mart, for a few years, (but not at this time). The reason they stop you at door and ask for receipt randomly, is for a few reasons. Large tickets items, or things that do not fit in a bag well, to make sure the cashier has done their job and not overlooked certain items especially at bottom of carts. Another reason is random surveys of receipts have helped keep down the amount of lost prevention (theft), they have been able to stop a decent amount of theft with just doing this quick survey of receipts. Third, Offices of Benton Arkansas make up the rules for each and every Wal Mart, so if they say we need this to step up then it will step up in that particular Wal Mart, they do keep a check on things such as this.

If your Wal-Mart is dirty, over crowded, needing more sales associates, contact Wal Mart through any of these channels and register your complaint, they normally will get back to you, especially if you are making a sincere, valid complaint.

Contact Us

[LEFT]Thanks for your interest in learning the facts about Wal-Mart. Use this page to share your thoughts and ask the questions you'd like answered.
Getting connected is easy.[/LEFT]
By Phone:
  • If you're a customer, call 1-800-WAL-MART
  • If you're an investor or analyst, call 479-273-8446
  • If you're a journalist, call 1-800-331-0085
By Email:

By Mail:
  • Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
    Bentonville, AR 72716-8611
I tried clicking on both of the links above to "submit feedback". Neither link is active and "page could not be found".

Old 03-25-2008, 06:46 AM

213 posts, read 568,177 times
try this link, it is working, sorry if others did not.

Wal-Mart - Contact Us

Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
For one, if WalMart wants to make sure the cashier is doing their job they need to do that during the transaction, not afterward. It is a completely different situation once you have paid for the items. Secondly, as previously stated, this process most likely has little impact on the amount of shoplifting going on. It hassles the honest customer more, and despite usually complying with the request on my departure from WalMart, I am going to refuse to do so from here on out and if there is any attempt to detain me I will raise a ruckus.

And 90% of the WalMarts I have been to were "dirty, over crowded, (and) needing more sales associates." About the only exceptions I see to that are the stores in smaller towns such as Boerne or Hondo. And honestly, I doubt providing feedback will do any good; but if anyone is so inclined, you can do so here.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio