U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:17 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,474,416 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

Somebody posted this useful link not too long ago:

Bexar County Appraisal District property tax Appaisal District Bexar County

I purchased a new home in July of last year and currently have my 2007 appraisal readily available but not my 2008. Although the aforementioned site states to to avoid a 4 year - up to 40% increase (which incidentally confuses me btw, since a possible 10% per annum maximum increase vs. 4 year up to 40% increase sounds the same) by appealing, I don't now the best time to do so (i.e. should I wait for '08 appraisal notice OR until my homestead/Vet exemption/abatement paperwork has been filed with the county).

On a side note, I figure that based on my 07 assessed value of 158k - 15k (homestead) - 7.5k (vet exemption) that I'm looking at 135,600 of taxable property. Anyone inclined to inform me what my year end property tax total will be?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Anyone? I thought we had some smart banker/real estate mogul types in this forum... I would greatly appreciate your expertise on this matter kind sir or ma'ams.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 PM

14,603 posts, read 31,105,136 times
It looks like May 31, but I may be reading it wrong on bcad.org. You should have your 2008 appraisal in the mail a couple of weeks before that, which makes the window of time to protest seem pretty small. Here's a calendar from their website:

http://www.bcad.org/PDFs/calendar.pdf

Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM

2,330 posts, read 6,251,238 times
Just based on my last years tax assesment.. and mind you it also depends on what school district you live in.. I would say your going to pay right around 2k for 2008. give or take $100 or so bucks..

Old 03-25-2008, 04:59 AM

14,603 posts, read 31,105,136 times
We paid $3200 on a house valued at a little less than that in NISD.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It looks like May 31, but I may be reading it wrong on bcad.org. You should have your 2008 appraisal in the mail a couple of weeks before that, which makes the window of time to protest seem pretty small. Here's a calendar from their website:

http://www.bcad.org/PDFs/calendar.pdf
oic, I'm thinking also that I have until end of April to file '07 Vet exemption (7500). To be honest, I don't even know if it will count since I haven't lived here since Jan 1, 2007 (a requirement for homestead exemption for '07 afaik). Anyone claiming Vet exemption know whether I can file for '07 if I moved here in July.

Related to the protest though... does it make sense? Has anyone here done it and can they better explain the difference between up 10% a year if I DO appeal and up to 40% increase in 4 years if I DO NOT appeal? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I don't see a difference. It would appear to me that the only time worth appealing is is the house appraisal isn't commensurate with my neighborhood comparables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Just based on my last years tax assesment.. and mind you it also depends on what school district you live in.. I would say your going to pay right around 2k for 2008. give or take $100 or so bucks..
NISD. That would be really cool as it was estimated at purchase to be around $3500 (before exemption) on my closing docs for escrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
We paid $3200 on a house valued at a little less than that in NISD.
That seems closer to what I was told. Are you going off my after exemption appraised value? And I think it goes off of size of home and lot too right (or is that just the appraisal value?). I'm around 2525sqft sitting on a .11 acre plot.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:31 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,335,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
...NISD. That would be really cool as it was estimated at purchase to be around $3500 (before exemption) on my closing docs for escrow.

That seems closer to what I was told. Are you going off my after exemption appraised value? And I think it goes off of size of home and lot too right (or is that just the appraisal value?). I'm around 2525sqft sitting on a .11 acre plot.
Closing estimates are based on no exemptions. It looks like your house was not appraised at full value as you moved in during July 07. This year they will catch up with you. The Far West Bexar County area rate was 2.05% last year. To get a rough estimate, take how much you paid for the house, subtract $22,500 (for your 2 exemptions), and then multiply by 2.05% to get your 2008 tax. As for exemptions, don't worry, as you lived in your house on 1 January 2008, the first year you would be eligible for the exemptions. Make sure you file soon (you can download the forms on BCAD.org).

BTW: After the 2008 values are posted on the internet, check around your street/area to see like-sized houses and how much their values are. If yours is higher, then definitely protest this year.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:56 PM

226 posts, read 792,574 times
I checked with the BCAD yesterday and they mentioned that the new appraisals will be up in mid-April on the website.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Closing estimates are based on no exemptions. It looks like your house was not appraised at full value as you moved in during July 07. This year they will catch up with you. The Far West Bexar County area rate was 2.05% last year. To get a rough estimate, take how much you paid for the house, subtract $22,500 (for your 2 exemptions), and then multiply by 2.05% to get your 2008 tax. As for exemptions, don't worry, as you lived in your house on 1 January 2008, the first year you would be eligible for the exemptions. Make sure you file soon (you can download the forms on BCAD.org).

BTW: After the 2008 values are posted on the internet, check around your street/area to see like-sized houses and how much their values are. If yours is higher, then definitely protest this year.
Yeah, I based closing docs weren't based on exemptions which is why it was estimate high (I think they used 3%). Why would it seem my home was not appraised at its full value though? Would it be because I moved here in July? If so, why is that? The home was complete when appraisals were done last year, just idling on the market.

Also, are you saying the vet exemption cannot be applied to '07 (July-Dec) because it (like the homestead) requires that I lived here as of January 1 of 07? More so, regarding 2008... would the deadline for '08 exemption filing not be in April of '09? I thought any deadline this year was only for if I could possibly file my Vet exemption for LAST year which I'm guessing I can't but relates to the previous question.

Thanks for the tax rate! Based off your formula, I'm looking at:

22,500 -
--------------------------
129,937 =

.0205 *
--------------------------
2,663.7085 = in tax

Not too shabby relative to what I was expecting. Basing it off the purchase price is even better because I paid 152k for the home. It was appraised by BCAD for 158k and from a 3rd part appraiser for 169k. Thus, it would seem BCAD would be more inclined to go off my appraisal (as opposed to my sale price for 2007, if they are partial to more $$ that is. Nevertheless, won't my '08 tax be based off my '08 appraised value or do they work off the previous year?

I don't suppose anyone knows what the tax rate is for outside 1604 in the NW area (not Helotes)? It hasn't been annexed yet so...

Thanks for any help once more...

Last edited by tekka-maki; 03-25-2008 at 04:50 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 05:22 PM

Apologies for that rather incoherent 1st statement... meant to say 'yeah, I assumed closing docs weren't based on exemptions which is why the estimate on my closing docs were high".

Wow though... I'm really ecstatic if my tax rate ends up being at or near 2.025%. I was thinking at least 3%

Update:
Scratch that! My escrow was deducted 4k in Dec of last year so it's more like 3%. Now I need to pull out the closing docs and see how much of that Standard Pacific paid into my escrow. It would also seem that I can apply vet exemption for last year as there's no verbage about Jan 1, 2007 residency. Will Bexar Country refund me the difference... or?

Last edited by tekka-maki; 03-25-2008 at 05:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio