U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:19 PM
djw djw started this thread

951 posts, read 2,571,359 times

Advertisements

So my number was pulled and I'm doing my duty. My question is what to expect the first day (worst case). Can you take food? Do you get a lunch break? Any breaks? What's nearby within walking distance of courthouse.
I typically brown bag my lunch and this is throwing off my whole diet routine!
All I hope is that if I do get "selected" that it's a good case!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 02:25 PM

627 posts, read 1,339,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
Define "good case."

Old 03-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Federal court or county court?

Old 03-23-2008, 02:37 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
Quote:
So my number was pulled and I'm doing my duty. My question is what to expect the first day (worst case). Can you take food? Do you get a lunch break? Any breaks? What's nearby within walking distance of courthouse.
I did this a year ago. Depending on which day of the week you go, you will get a different experience. I was lucky as the Tursday I went was pretty quiet. You may spend a lot of time sitting and waiting, so bring a good book or something to tide you over. I also brought some snacks to pass the time. There is a cafeteria and many places to eat nearby; but be warned that you are expected to be back and in place when your lunch break is over. We had one person "get lost" and the judge was pretty upset with her. However, I made it to Shilo's and back in plenty of time. I am not sure if there is anyplace to leave a sack lunch during the day.

There will be times when you need to be in place, either in the waiting room or in a courtroom; but you will have plenty of time to go to the bathroom and such in between. There were only a few cases for which we were interviewed for, and I wasn't selected for any of them. I used the tactic of only answering their questions and not offering a lot of other info. Some folks are a bit too chatty and many of them seem to get selected. I was ready and willing to serve, but I wasn't going to do anything to improve my chances of getting selected. At the time I had a conference I was suppose to attend, and was responsibile for a couple of people who were coming from out of the country to attend; so I was happy to be missed out on jury duty.

By the way, you get paid a nominal per diem for your day, and there is a chance to donate it to a local charity. I hope if you are able, you can take that option. It made the day a little better knowing it went to a good cause.

Cheers! M2

Old 03-23-2008, 03:53 PM
djw djw started this thread

951 posts, read 2,571,359 times
Thanks MM. I'm going down tomorrow - so we'll see how Monday's stack up to your Thursday! Good tip about the interview part.

I'm assuming County since I'm going to the Bexar courthouse. Could I be wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Define "good case."
Yeah. I know. What could be good about any court case, huh? But I guess what I meant was something worthwhile and not a no-brainer that is a waste of the court's time. You know that those happen!

Old 03-23-2008, 04:13 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,160,486 times
A couple of other points - I believe the per diem is $6 for the first day, but $40 starting the second day if you are required to return.

Also, the last time I was in a potential jury pool at the courthouse, we were told that Juror #1 would be on the panel if either the prosecution or defense did not "strike" that person, and the last juror # in the pool had the least chance of being selected. The juror numbers are assigned in the order that the names are called when selecting the pool.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:10 PM

834 posts, read 1,792,285 times
Quote:
So my number was pulled and I'm doing my duty.
My question is what to expect the first day (worst case).
Can you take food?
Do you get a lunch break?
Any breaks?
What's nearby within walking distance of courthouse.

dj, I was down there last week on Wednesday.

About 300 in the Central Jury Room.
They said on Mondays there are way over 1000
called to the pool. (Post back, I'm curious if this is accurate)

If you want to sit up front, get there early so you
are near the front of the line.

If you park across the street, get your ticket validated.

We got several breaks,
and I was told the lunch hour was from 11 thirty to one.

I always take a book along.

You can take food in.

Don't try to take your knife in.
You'll have to leave it at the Security Desk.

I got lucky, they called a couple panels,
with a couple dozen folks in each,
to be interviewed.

Then, about 11 o'clock, the lady announced
that she had good news and bad.

Bad news, they were still needing a couple more panels.

Good news was that she was gonna call 100 names
and they would get to leave,
and cannot be called back down for at least three years.

I was about the 50th name called,
and I was so happy to get out of there,
I forgot to retrieve my knife.

Went back on Thursday and got it.

mud

Old 03-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Quote:
I'm assuming County since I'm going to the Bexar courthouse. Could I be wrong?
No, you're correct. The Federal courthouse is south of downtown on Durango.

Mrs. Bowie was in the Federal jury pool recently. She never had to go down there, though, since her number was 100 or so higher than the numbers of the potential jurors who actually had to appear at the Federal courthouse.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:19 PM

409 posts, read 1,424,681 times
Just did my duty, too! I was surprised to learn that I could have taken my laptop! It was a long day, but interesting. As others have said, plenty of breaks and you can move about and still hear the intercom when court resumes. I did not know my way around downtown so I did not park at the parking area that is validated. I ended up paying $8 for lunch and $14 for parking. I got my $6 dollar check because I forgot to do the donation. Just know that it is a full day, take snacks, a good book, and/or your laptop. I'm good for 2 years now, I think!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:24 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
Definitely don't waste your time in the first line. They all stand there just to get in and stand in another line. I chilled outside until everything had settled down and then walked right in. They gave us plenty of breaks (the whole thing is one big break for the most part) and there's a little snack shack thing in there that actually has good food, but the guy is a stickler for the clock and would not serve lunch one minute early.. the onion rings are some of the best I've had in a long time BTW.
I was called to sit outside a courtroom for a few hours and they settled it while we were waiting. They thanked us and said to have a nice day. Definitely donate the check if you can. It goes to a childrens charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio