U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:17 PM

574 posts, read 1,160,391 times

Advertisements

I have a fished some dead ones out of my pool...figured they were some baby version of a larger snake.

Now I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,820 times
Default Worm Snake

AWESOME! I love snakes. We have recently been finding many of these "Worm snakes" in my house. We see them at night, and we are not sure where they are coming in from. I have read the worm snake is not poisonous, and I am hoping these things are the worm snake. They are very fast and when I first saw it thought it was a real worm. "I was sitting on it and didn't even know it." That was fun. I will try and post a picture next time I find one to get peoples opinion on what it might be.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 PM

359 posts, read 709,344 times
They are probably Texas Blind Snakes. If they are in your house, something drew them in there. Like food for them. They mostly eat ants and termites (their favorite). So, while you might like snakes, you probably have some other critters in your house you may not like so well. Also, as I understand it, they come in the same way that termites come in; around the plumbing in the foundation. I just had my second house treated for termites, as the Blind Snake population got bad. Haven't gotten any feedback from the tenent yet whether the termite treatment took care of the snakes or not.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:10 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,722,327 times
My mother had those little things years ago. She was totally freaked out by that little tongue but desperate to find out what they were--this was when the internet was young and my mother was not so that wasn't an option. She captured one and took it to the snake house at the zoo. The zookeeper carefully returned it to her and told her to put it in her garden as it was a Texas Blind Snake and would eat her bugs. They are especially fond of termites and a few months later they found a termite infested board under her condo- thus the snakes. She couldn't get past her snake phobia so those poor things were hacked to death and smashed with fire extinguishers, etc. About the same time we moved out of a rental that I knew had termites and low and behold some blind snakes were in our moving boxes when we got to our new house.

They don't bother me so much--now if it was one of those lovely flying roaches all bets would be off

Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,637 times
It looked like a worm, but moved like a snake and it had a a small tongue it was about 1 inch, i thought it was a dark coiled flat spring so i kick it and the head came up. It scared me even if you could put it in the palm of your hand. Can you tell me where it came from cause i found it in front on my garage door, and don't know how big they get or if they are dangerous ...so i am scared to go in my garage.
Hope anyone can help!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 AM

409 posts, read 843,484 times
Ooohhh..I want one......

Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,070,189 times
There are a number of Reptiles who are very comfortable living with us. There is a lizard that lives in houses and apartments. I call it a Gekko. It is almost transparent and I read they originated in France (Kinda like the Coneheads!). I lived in an apartment on Fulton. The lady next door told the Landlord she saw a mouse. He put mouse bait everywhere. I never saw a mouse. She wanted me to see what it was. It was just a big lizard! He was probably just eating bugs! I live in the country now. I am always amazed. We got some rain a week ago and this big ugly toad appeared on the porch. I understand that he was feeding on the bugs attracted to the porch light . How did he get up the five steps to get there? Amazing! When he saw me he just went down the steps and disappeared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio