Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 06:53 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times

Advertisements

I appreciate the bit about Talley being patrolled and it's a 40 zone (near Wiseman). The fact that this road is uncongested now and with commuters means the police will soon patrol more than they do now. But Talley should work for at least 6 months until they fix the culebra/1604 interchange.

At some point, 1604 will have to be stoplight free. The Braun exit is obviously going light-free (on 1604) but when?

In other parts of the country, intersections like Shanefield/1604 and New Guilbeau rd/1604 would be a 'right-turn only' to keep the flow of traffic moving. If you HAD to turn right at Guilbeau, you could use a turnaround at Braun - which is three blocks away! It seems obvious that the rush-hour slowdowns are a direct results of stoplights on 1604.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:58 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
In other parts of the country, intersections like Shanefield/1604 and New Guilbeau rd/1604 would be a 'right-turn only' to keep the flow of traffic moving. If you HAD to turn right at Guilbeau, you could use a turnaround at Braun - which is three blocks away! It seems obvious that the rush-hour slowdowns are a direct results of stoplights on 1604.[/quote]

Wow...how STRANGE that it seems so OBVIOUS to all of us EXCEPT those with the ability to direct it being changed!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
At some point, 1604 will have to be stoplight free. The Braun exit is obviously going light-free (on 1604) but when? .
You would think, but after seeing the fiasco of the west side of 1604 I am not holding out much hope of the expected overpass at Braun/1604 appearing in my lifetime (and I am only 44). 1604 was suppose to be "stoplight free" all the way around, but from what I understand lack of money meant overpasses on the west side were not built. I do agree that they need to sort out the stretch from Braun to Shaenfield, but there have been no indications of that happening anytime soon despite the widening of Braun to four lanes outside of 1604 and of course all the work being done on Culebra.

Honestly, I would like to say that traffic planning was being done around here by a bunch of monkeys, but I would hate to insult monkeys!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-30-2007, 02:01 PM

116 posts, read 472,573 times
Careful... Talley is patrolled a good amount and the cops are very tight on the limit. Friend works there and drives it 4 times a day (in, out to lunch and back, then out) and he says a LOT of people get pulled over for doing 3 or 4 over the speed limit.

Apparently a judge's daughter got killed in a headon over one of the dips and the cops are real touchy about speeders. If you get caught behind what you think is some idiot doing exactly the speed limit, chances are he/she's not an idiot, but a local who knows what they're doing.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:12 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
I live off Talley road and I lock my cruise control at 39 and an half, but thanks for putting it in writting that I am not an idiot. hehe

Old 12-30-2007, 08:39 PM

418 posts, read 1,240,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Honestly, I would like to say that traffic planning was being done around here by a bunch of monkeys, but I would hate to insult monkeys!
Cheers! M2
The city is run by construction companies and developers. Building it right the first time is bad business for them. They wouldn't get repeat business.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:08 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOregon View Post
Careful... Talley is patrolled a good amount and the cops are very tight on the limit. Friend works there and drives it 4 times a day (in, out to lunch and back, then out) and he says a LOT of people get pulled over for doing 3 or 4 over the speed limit.

Apparently a judge's daughter got killed in a headon over one of the dips and the cops are real touchy about speeders. If you get caught behind what you think is some idiot doing exactly the speed limit, chances are he/she's not an idiot, but a local who knows what they're doing.

I have been driving Talley road for years. You are exactly right about the cops patrolling the area. I got a ticket on Talley road about 15 years ago, I had to go to Leon Valley to pay it. OMG!! what a mess that is, you better plan on being there for 3 hours.

And you talk about getting caught behind someone doing the speed limit....... that happens to me all the time (but the other say around). I can see them getting mad behind me for going so "slow"...... if they only knew....

Old 12-31-2007, 07:18 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
I am so thankful that I don't have to travel this route! I get practically driven off the road in the school zone on Babcock/Spring Time every morning, and I just keep waiting for one of those fools to get a ticket there. It's gonna be sweet, if it ever happens.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:56 PM

45 posts, read 190,268 times
Thanks to all for the very informative info about the Talley Road area road conditions and local policia patrols (which is actually a good thing!). Having seen similar problems in the rural DFW areas with explosive sub-division growth and little or no road planning to accommodate all the traffic, it will be a mess for years to come along that road!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:45 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Actually, I take Talley Road on occassion if I get out of work late and want to avoid the rush hour traffic. From Lackland I take 90 west to Grosenbacher, then Potranco over to Talley, then follow it all the way over to Culebra. People will ride your tail if you do the speed limit, but I know it is patrolled heavily so I just take it easy. That, of course, causes people to go nuts and you have situations like this...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/M2Repsol/Rainingsolidyellowline10overthespee.jpg (broken link)

...which I titled "Raining, solid yellow line, 15 over the speed limit, and passing..." when I snapped this shot oddly enough on 5 September 2001 (God only knows the events that would unfold less than a week later). And no, I am not bothering to blur out the license plate as there is no reason to protect the guilty! The lady in this minivan was riding my butt all the way down Talley, I hope she doesn't drive like this when there are kids in her van!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio