U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:39 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,607,947 times

Advertisements

The problem here is that the whole "study" wasn't very scientific.

Did they ask for an uncut lemon from each restaurant for use as a control? (The uncut lemon would be tested "as-is" in order to determine whether the restaurant staff or the lemons themselves were contaminated.)

What sort of containers are cut lemons stored in? (The use of a plastic bin surrounded by ice versus leaving the fruit out in the open at room temperature could have some degree of influence over the bacterial content.)

It seems to me that articles such as this do little more than gross some of us out, and yet there are no real attempts to find the cause. That doesn't diminish their use, but it does call into question their importance.

My two cents...

--Dim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,843,952 times
If I can't see it, it doesn't count. I love lemon in my tea or water. I'm one of those who will salt the sh*t out of a lemon after I'm done with my drink and chew away. I've never gotten sick from eating one, so I have no intention of stopping now.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,728,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
The problem here is that the whole "study" wasn't very scientific.

Did they ask for an uncut lemon from each restaurant for use as a control? (The uncut lemon would be tested "as-is" in order to determine whether the restaurant staff or the lemons themselves were contaminated.)

What sort of containers are cut lemons stored in? (The use of a plastic bin surrounded by ice versus leaving the fruit out in the open at room temperature could have some degree of influence over the bacterial content.)

It seems to me that articles such as this do little more than gross some of us out, and yet there are no real attempts to find the cause. That doesn't diminish their use, but it does call into question their importance.

My two cents...

--Dim

And we are probably exposed to the same amount of the same (fecal) bacteria just about everywhere. So sure the server may have washed after the restroom, but that doesn't mean the door or sink handles are clean, nor any other surfaces touched on the way back to work. I think the 'gross' factor is the issue here!

Keep in mind that they are talking about fecal bacteria - found in the intestinal tracts of humans....

Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 AM

119 posts, read 396,138 times
Washing hands and using hand sanitizer is not THAT time-consuming if it means that I won't have crap on my lemon.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:22 AM

3,455 posts, read 7,282,585 times
Ive always been suspicuous of the lemons....at places where you can get your own, by the drink stand. I squeeze the lemon juice into my drink sometimes scoop out the pulp. I always throw the rind away! Looks like my fears were justified!!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:29 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,607,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
And we are probably exposed to the same amount of the same (fecal) bacteria just about everywhere. So sure the server may have washed after the restroom, but that doesn't mean the door or sink handles are clean, nor any other surfaces touched on the way back to work. I think the 'gross' factor is the issue here!

Keep in mind that they are talking about fecal bacteria - found in the intestinal tracts of humans....
I admit that the thought of it is disgusting, but what they neglected to mention was the actual concentration of bacteria. How much was on each sample, and how much can make the average human sick?

Take a look at some articles referring to the amount of bacteria on a typical cell phone earpiece. One research effort found that the amount is higher than a port-a-potty. Now that's disgusting!

--Dim

Old 03-27-2008, 10:40 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,309,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Ive always been suspicuous of the lemons....at places where you can get your own, by the drink stand. I squeeze the lemon juice into my drink sometimes scoop out the pulp. I always throw the rind away! Looks like my fears were justified!!
I have always done the EXACT same thing, on ALL lemons from restraunts, whether they be by the drink stand or brought to me on my glass.

One more thing.......... ALWAYS use a straw (unless it is a paper cup).

Old 03-27-2008, 10:54 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,983,777 times
So.......Who wants to go out to eat?

Old 03-27-2008, 03:57 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,341,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Is that not the GROSSEST thing they could run on TV or what????

I still love my lemon and lime in my water & tea...but think I might just buy one of those "plastic" lemons and limes that is 100% pure juice and just lug it in my purse to add....but then again, I have not died yet!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,571,505 times
Default related anecdote

I was at a nationally known chain establishment at the 410/151 plaza today and told the server that I'd have just a glass of water, with lemon - but only if they had been washed first.

I got plain water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio