U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 PM

126 posts, read 378,963 times

Advertisements

There's an underused freight rail line going from downtown to The Rim paralleling I-10 that something like this would work on... it could even continue south.

KXAN.com - News, Weather, Sports - Austin, TX | CapMetro opens up its commuter rail cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 10:21 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,355,646 times
It actually runs a little East of I-10 along Vance Jackson. This lines would be great as it would serve UTSA Downtown, future VIA multi-modal station, Market Square, Christus Santa Rosa downtown, USAA, UTSA 1604 Campus, Valero, La Cantera, Fiesta Texas, The Landmark, The Rim, Eilan, Cresta Bella, etc. It wouldn't be hard to get many riders.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 AM

2,330 posts, read 6,263,982 times
I am sure once we got the first line in.. it would grow by leaps and bounds.. I know I for one would use something like this.. Provided it goes near my house and work!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:33 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,773,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogsTX View Post
There's an underused freight rail line going from downtown to The Rim paralleling I-10 that something like this would work on... it could even continue south.
VIA actually had a chance to buy that whole line back in the early '90s IIRC, and wanted to, but there was a public outcry against it because people thought it would be a waste of money, so VIA dropped it.

Another example of the shortsightedness that seemingly pervades the general public.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:24 PM

483 posts, read 1,424,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
VIA actually had a chance to buy that whole line back in the early '90s IIRC, and wanted to, but there was a public outcry against it because people thought it would be a waste of money, so VIA dropped it.

Another example of the shortsightedness that seemingly pervades the general public.
When you say the whole line, do you mean all the way to downtown? Because it looks like it runs west of the I-10/I-35 multiplex around UTSA downtown, then curves southeast to hit S Flores and Probandt right next to Blue Star.

So yeah, that would make a very good commuter line since it runs through lots of suburban middle-income to urban low-income neighborhoods, close to a school, and could terminate at an area with a burgeoning population of young singles. All of these could (and would) use more transit options if they were available.

Last edited by oldmanshirt; 03-29-2008 at 12:30 AM..

Old 03-29-2008, 12:19 AM

71 posts, read 269,354 times
Wolff wants to resurrect light rail plan- this was a article on mysa.com
MySA.com: Metro | State (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA032908.04B.freshairfriday.367ade8.html - broken link)

It talks about the commissioner wanting to push San Antonio towards light rail and solar power.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:26 AM

Default New Light Rail Thread

Since the previous "Light Rail Poll" Post was getting a little too big and unwieldily I am starting a new one with the latest breaking info...

Judge Nelson Wolff wants to revive the idea of bringing light rail to SA.

MySA.com: Metro | State (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA032908.04B.freshairfriday.367ade8.html - broken link)

Since he seems to have the most authority of anyone in the county I think this could really be a good chance for the city to finally get some choice when it come to transportation.

If this is a topic of interest to you (it sure is to me every time i fill up and then get on a crowded freeway) Take some time to send Judge Wolf a letter. Letters sent through the mail typically get a better response than an email.

County.Judge (http://www.bexar.org/commct/cj/county.judge.htm - broken link)

Hopefully we will get a really well thought out plan that would serve a lot of population centers, commercial districts, schools and tourist attractions so we could get a mix of riders who ride the trains all day. Cities that have begun systems have had better luck with starting with one well thought out "starter line" that becomes an instant success, resulting in other neighborhoods fighting over who gets it next (Dallas)

Old 03-31-2008, 01:28 AM

73 posts, read 91,411 times
I think a great starter line would be either one of these two.

Downtown to the Medical center or downtown to the airport.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 AM

Great ideas... I think Downtown to medical would be great because it passes a lot of lower income areas where people might be least able to afford a car. Perhaps it could start south of downtown too....

When they design the system I hope they use private right of way as much as possible so riding it would have similar times to driving a car. Dallas' Light Rail Vehicle hits 65mph and Houston ordered theirs to have a top speed of 67 mph just to one up Dallas. Ours better be able to hit 70 or we are going to look bad!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:51 AM

73 posts, read 91,411 times
The Fredericksburg Road corridor between downtown and the Medical center
has the highest bus ridership in all of San Antonio. It would be ideal for light rail.

Also, a light rail between downtown and the airport could go either one of two ways, up San Pedro Ave or up Broadway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio