Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 17,072 times

Advertisements

Graduating from college and landed an internship in downtown SA. I have no knowledge of the city whatsoever...don't know neighborhoods or how things fit together down there. I need some help trying to figure out where to get a basic loft/studio apartment. I will be working near the Alamo (on 3rd st. I believe) and need to be able to bike/walk to work. I would appreciate if anyone could give me a heads up of where/where not to look! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 06:58 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Contact Debbie at Centro Properties... GREAT lady and she really knows the downtown market.

BN

Old 03-29-2008, 04:00 AM

791 posts, read 3,960,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammovingtosanantonio View Post
I will be working near the Alamo (on 3rd st. I believe) and need to be able to bike/walk to work.
Welcome to SA! Are you by any chance interning at Lake/Flato? They're on 3rd Street. My cousin interned with them for a couple years while in school and says it's a great place to work. Anyway, regarding where to live... a lot depends on your budget. If you're a typical intern and looking for bargain housing (under $400 or 500/mo) I would suggest trying craigslist. There are plenty of small studios/1BR apts and roommate sharing situations in and near downtown.

If you want to walk to work every day, you're best off living in the very heart of downtown or in Southtown... VIA (the local transit authority) operates a downtown trolley shuttle, and the trolley's Blue line runs from the SoFlo/BlueStar neighborhood in Southtown through the downtown area and up to 3rd Street and beyond. See the full trolley map at VIA Metropolitan Transit If you want to bike to work, or occasionally take the bus, you will be just fine looking up the Broadway corridor as far north as Hildebrand or so.

These are all good neighborhoods, with some variation... some are considered more "artsy" (Southtown/BlueStar/SoFlo), some are considered transitional but on the way up (Tobin Hill, Government Hill), some are considered trendy (Pearl District, maybe sorta Mahncke Park). All these neighborhoods border Broadway heading north. Map Neighborhood map - north of downtown San Antonio on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/celestialbebe/2370914428/ - broken link)

If you're a recent college grad, you may enjoy the lifestyle in Southtown/SoFlo/BlueStar/King William (which tends to be a little more lively and arts-based - see Southtown - San Antonio Arts District, San Antonio, TX) than other neighborhoods just north of downtown (Tobin Hill, Govt Hill, Mahncke Park) that are mostly single family homes or 4-plexes and are quieter residential areas (but still friendly!). In my opinion, Southtown is more walkable than the neighborhoods north of downtown - restaurants, bars, entertainment are all walking distance. The only thing missing downtown is a real grocery store... so you'd have to find a friend with a car or take the bus. North of downtown there are a couple grocery stores on the bus line.

Just in case you're coming from a large metro area with significant public transportation, be warned that bus service in San Antonio is horrible once you get more than a mile or two outside of downtown... it can take as long as 2 hours to get from downtown to the medical center or UTSA's 1604 campus in the NW parts of town. Just a sad fact of life in this sprawling western city. Hope this is helpful in getting oriented to the downtown area. I've personally lived in King William, BlueStar, Monte Vista, Alamo Heights and now Mahncke Park, so if you want more specific info, feel free to DM me.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:41 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,203 times
Another big vote for Debbie Maltz. She's wonderful.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:31 PM

993 posts, read 2,491,119 times
Great advice here. I am moving mid September and need an apartment in the northeast.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,111 times
I am looking for an apt near the Culinary Institute at Pearl PKWY.
Start school in Oct. I know nothing about the area. Any help? thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio