U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 PM

2,427 posts, read 4,511,527 times

Advertisements

OK, finally got off our a@#$s, and got a quote from the Costco granite people (Artistic Countertops). Less than Lowes/Home Depot by about $5-$15 psf, depending on which you choose...the kicker is that they include different edges in the price (HD wanted $11 per linear foot for bullnose). Looks like they will be "the ones". Looking to look at slabs (HD told us we could not do this) and get a contract shortly...I'm so excited!!!

Would appreciate any "what to look out for" tips from those of you that have done this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM

125 posts, read 313,504 times
Go green! Here is a link to some options for "green" countertops.

GreenHomeGuide | Choosing a Green Countertop That Works with Your Style and Your Life

This is my favorite option. I don't have it but I want it!

EnviroGLAS—Walking on recycled glass! (http://www.enviroglasproducts.com/slab.asp - broken link)

Old 07-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Owl

112 posts, read 373,302 times
So, Pobre...

Let me see if I understand this: you are going through Costco for your granite, the supplier for the Costco granite being Artistic Countertops?

Why not go directly to Artistic Countertops, as someone else suggested?

My husband and I have been shopping for granite lately, so I'm totally interested in this topic! Thanks!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:40 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,206,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
OK, finally got off our a@#$s, and got a quote from the Costco granite people (Artistic Countertops). Less than Lowes/Home Depot by about $5-$15 psf
What did they quote you psf.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
So, Pobre...

Let me see if I understand this: you are going through Costco for your granite, the supplier for the Costco granite being Artistic Countertops?

Why not go directly to Artistic Countertops, as someone else suggested?

My husband and I have been shopping for granite lately, so I'm totally interested in this topic! Thanks!
We thought about that...we will be visiting their showroom to look at larger samples. My understanding is that it *should* be cheaper going through Costco.

The other reason is that Costco has an ironclad guarantee, and, hopefully, will step in if something's not right. In addition, they frequently have offers, such as a cash card or a free sink. Should we find that it is NOT cheaper through Costco, we will go directly with AC.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
What did they quote you psf.

Ranges from 45.50 to 55.00. We chose samples in Groups 1,2, and 3. (They have a 4, too.) These correspond to Home Depot and Lowes "A-B-C-D". For instance, Baltic Brown is a Group 1 here, and an "A" in HD and Lowes. Both HD and Lowes price it at 49.00, plus edge. AC quote is 45.50 including edge. They also had a few more colors that I didn't see at HD or Lowes, such as Tropical Brown (I'm wavering between Baltic and Tropical).

Old 07-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Owl

112 posts, read 373,302 times
Thanks for your answers, Pobre.

We were in Lowe's today, checking their granite. The selections looked great. They also said that they include a stainless steel sink in their granite price.

We didn't really think of Costco, so we'll check that alternative out, as well.

We did go to Home Depot, too. They told us that there were no large samples of granite from which we might make a selection. All they had were the tiny samples on their desplay board. We would have to bring in our kitchen tile to put next to their teensy-tiny granite displays, and make our decision based upon that. We could, however, send away for a sample kit of their granite selections for $30, so we could use that in our home. But the pieces were still tiny.

The good thing about Artistic is that you can go there in person and see the slabs for yourself!

I just want to know what the "next big thing" is going to be in kitchens, because I just know that after I our granite countertips are installed, two weeks later I'll hear that granite is so yesterday.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your info!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:56 PM

330 posts, read 884,193 times
We're in the process of getting a granite countertop Venetian Marble & Granite off Hausman Rd., and they've been very friendly and reasonably priced. I'd give an exact quote if I remembered, but I *think* for their remnant pieces in was a little above $40/sf. Anyway, I'd recommend them.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:58 PM

42,284 posts, read 46,085,939 times
Quartz came out on top in consumer report test over granite because of basic staining problems,Overall it was rated the top countertop amoung the normally offered for oveall quality. Take alok and you will see why. Much of granite is just like going to travertine tile over porclein tile. Alot of it is what the person prefers not the overal quality and durabily. But even then there are vast differences just like any stone product. Look at the difference in cost on granite for grave markers and you will see the price difference for the better stone quality.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your answers, Pobre.

We were in Lowe's today, checking their granite. The selections looked great. They also said that they include a stainless steel sink in their granite price.!
Yes, most places run those types of specials...but do check if they include sink installation. In our case, we are looking for a granite composite sink. If they offer us the SS sink for free, we'll probably put it on Craig's List.

Quote:
We did go to Home Depot, too. They told us that there were no large samples of granite from which we might make a selection. All they had were the tiny samples on their desplay board. We would have to bring in our kitchen tile to put next to their teensy-tiny granite displays, and make our decision based upon that. We could, however, send away for a sample kit of their granite selections for $30, so we could use that in our home. But the pieces were still tiny.
Yep, I ordered 5 samples from Stonemark (their supplier). However, a 3"x3" is way small...What bothered me about HD is that we have been to two different ones, and in both cases, the salespeople acted as if we were bothering them! Not a "warm fuzzy"! I do recommend buying or borrowing samples...when I got them in my kitchen, what I thought would look nice with my cabinets...well, didn't.

AC offers tear out (old counters) for $6 psf (Lowes and HD charge extra, too). They do NOT do plumbing...they will install the sink, but not connect it. Ditto for our gas stove-won't connect. So we will line up someone to take care of that.

We will still probably check out another installer/supplier, but I think we have found our solution. I really think anything below 40 is suspect...but I may be wrong

Let me know if you come up with anything!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio