U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 09:30 AM

604 posts, read 1,372,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I'm jealous! I don't have sisters, I do have a SIL, but...she's...a little hard to be close to. She's a great gal, and I really like her...but very much in her world when it comes to being close to her. I can't explain it well.

Someday...I'll get my spa day. Someday. *boy do I need it*
What if you get a sitter and you and your husband go to a spa together? my husband and I did this last year on our anniversary. We had a massage,pedicure(he jsut had a scrub and rub) and a mini facial- at the san antonio massage academy- it is students and the price is pretty good.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:48 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,343,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
What if you get a sitter and you and your husband go to a spa together? my husband and I did this last year on our anniversary. We had a massage,pedicure(he jsut had a scrub and rub) and a mini facial- at the san antonio massage academy- it is students and the price is pretty good.
Excellent idea! We are going to Seattle in a couple of weeks, maybe they have something like that there. Hmmm..off to find out!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:17 AM

4,103 posts, read 6,077,958 times
Meh, this tomato thing sucks. I made black bean tostadas for lunch and had everything but that because I'm saving the garden tomatoes I have for tomorrow. It just felt wrong eating them that way.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:35 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,343,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Meh, this tomato thing sucks. I made black bean tostadas for lunch and had everything but that because I'm saving the garden tomatoes I have for tomorrow. It just felt wrong eating them that way.
Are yours not growing either? Mine have had a few...as soon as they pop up red on the vine, my son is out there picking them and eating them!!! Even if they are orangish red...he eats them...yuck! He LOVES tomatoes though...so I can't blame him. He also picked the only tiny strawberry we had growing too. I'm going to have to watch him like a hawk!

Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,077,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Are yours not growing either? Mine have had a few...as soon as they pop up red on the vine, my son is out there picking them and eating them!!! Even if they are orangish red...he eats them...yuck! He LOVES tomatoes though...so I can't blame him. He also picked the only tiny strawberry we had growing too. I'm going to have to watch him like a hawk!
Mine aren't growing well. The ones I have are from my mom's garden. She's overflowing with tomatoes.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:58 PM

3,109 posts, read 8,719,432 times
Hey everyone: I want to throw out an idea I have for Stacey's Angels Foundation. I want to get your take on the idea. As part of the foundation we are thinking about creating a Second Chance program that will have a home for women who are in jail or prison on drug or prostitution charges. They would be released to us and go through a two year program. The first six months, no visitors or jobs. A tough love program. After six months they could work and keep the money they make. We would educate them on banking and savings. After two years we are going to try and get a bill passed that would dismiss any felony records from their name and the women would be guaranteed a tuition free education (basically trade schools). The first facility would probably be built in the Seguin area. What do you think on the idea?

Old 06-06-2008, 03:32 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,877,040 times
Anything that would center on a real rehabilitation program is a good idea. We need to do something to stop the revolving door system we have now. A few things in your plan strike me a curious. #1 Why only women? #2 Why build this facility in Sequin? #3 Free anything is rarely free. Someone has to pay for it and the ones receiving said free services tend to not value it much. I would be more in favor of supplementing some on the education cost but making them pay part of it on a regular basis along the way. This way they can realize a real sense of contribution on their part and perhaps less likely to walk away when they get bored, tired or discouraged. Free things inherently seem less valuable.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:49 PM

Good thoughts SnappyBob.
#1: Stacey's Angels Foundation is primarily a program for abused women. But we will also work with men.

#2. The foundation is going to be started in the Seguin area, but the first chapter will serve Austin-San Antonio metro areas.

#3. The foundation will be receiving money from grants and donations to aid in paying for education for the women (men) selected. I am going to be writing for government grants after we get the foundation established.

In regards to the Second Chance program:
The free education is not really free. The people that go through the program must be in the program for at least two years and prove that they are drug free for two years.

If they complete the program then the incentive is that their tuition will be paid. Also, if we are able to get a law passed that would allow their record to be dissolved that would be an another incentive. The program will be strictly voluntary.

But I like your idea about the people paying for a part of it. Perhaps we can work that in as they are working and saving money. A portion of their savings could go towards their education as well. Perhaps they might even decide to go back to college.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:35 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,540,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Hey everyone: I want to throw out an idea I have for Stacey's Angels Foundation. I want to get your take on the idea. As part of the foundation we are thinking about creating a Second Chance program that will have a home for women who are in jail or prison on drug or prostitution charges. They would be released to us and go through a two year program. The first six months, no visitors or jobs. A tough love program. After six months they could work and keep the money they make. We would educate them on banking and savings. After two years we are going to try and get a bill passed that would dismiss any felony records from their name and the women would be guaranteed a tuition free education (basically trade schools). The first facility would probably be built in the Seguin area. What do you think on the idea?
I think it's a great idea... as SnappyBob and others have stated... implementing rehabilitation programs are great.

I'm wondering if you would get better responses, however, if you made a separate thread for Stacey's Angels since the OT thread tends to be diluted by chat. That way we can further ensure this organization gets the attention that is needed.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:43 PM

Good Idea: Let you guys get back to whatever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio