U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2008, 08:06 AM

4,263 posts, read 6,949,388 times
Default Anyone excited for possible Triple Crown today?

Big Brown in the Belmont. I'm not normally an avid fan....but when there is a chance to make history, I'm in. Hasn't been done in 30 years.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 06-07-2008 at 09:33 AM..

Old 06-07-2008, 08:13 AM

394 posts, read 1,035,322 times
Most definitely excited! Since we hail from the Blugrass state of KY... home of the KY Derby we are always fans of the Triple Crown and REALLY get excited whent there's a possibility for a Triple Crown win....it's always the "talk of the town" back in Louisville. It is definitely a difficult crown to win, as you stated it's been 30 years since the last one. The Belmont being especially difficult since it's the longest leg of the TC and 1/4 mile longer than the Derby. The horses that compete in this leg of the TC have yet to race that length....I'm definitely rooting for Big Brown and will be glued to the TV.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
Most definitely excited! Since we hail from the Blugrass state of KY... home of the KY Derby we are always fans of the Triple Crown and REALLY get excited whent there's a possibility for a Triple Crown win....it's always the "talk of the town" back in Louisville. It is definitely a difficult crown to win, as you stated it's been 30 years since the last one. The Belmont being especially difficult since it's the longest leg of the TC and 1/4 mile longer than the Derby. The horses that compete in this leg of the TC have yet to race that length....I'm definitely rooting for Big Brown and will be glued to the TV.

I didn't know that the Belmont was 1/4 mile longer than the other 2 races. That's interesting and I can see why it might be tougher to win than than the Preakness and Derby.
I wonder how many have won the first 2 legs but failed to win at the longer distance. It would also be interesting to see which horse has won the longer distance...but neither of the other 2. Thanks for the info.
Any special place in SA that you will be watching it?

Old 06-07-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I didn't know that the Belmont was 1/4 mile longer than the other 2 races. That's interesting and I can see why it might be tougher to win than than the Preakness and Derby.
I wonder how many have won the first 2 legs but failed to win at the longer distance. It would also be interesting to see which horse has won the longer distance...but neither of the other 2. Thanks for the info.
Any special place in SA that you will be watching it?
You got my curiosity going also....so I googled the statistics. 34.8% of Kentucky Derby winners also won the Preakness (first 2 legs) and only 12.4% of Derby winners went on to win the Belmont as well. Only 11 have won the Triple Crown in 89 years.

The life of a Thoroughbred is a good one...you should see their stables quite luxurious....their trainers and jockeys pamper them like you wouldn't believe!

I guess we'll be watching it from the comfort of our luxurious apartment while relaxing on our rented furniture, LOL!!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:11 AM

Hopefully next year, you'll be watching it on your 60" HD flat screen!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:13 AM

3,468 posts, read 5,654,131 times
Soooooo...... I think instead of our nightly "off topic" thread chats, we should all meet up at Flying Saucer tonight with our laptops! Then we can have "across the table" duals!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:14 AM

1,805 posts, read 3,253,985 times

Slide show
[CENTER][/CENTER]

they say he is not in pain with his cracked hoof:
"The crack on the left front hoof, which was re-sutured and covered with an acrylic patch on Friday, did not appear to be bothering Big Brown during a workout at Belmont Park on Tuesday. But this will be the first time it has been tested in the heat of competition and, if it is at all sore, could be enough to get him beat."
Oh, also, temps in the '90's....
The link:
Brunker: Heat, hoofcrack won't stop Big Brown - Horse Racing - MSNBC.com

Old 06-07-2008, 10:17 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,483,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Soooooo...... I think instead of our nightly "off topic" thread chats, we should all meet up at Flying Saucer tonight with our laptops! Then we can have "across the table" duals!
Too many 20 year olds there. I like 20 year olds, don't get me wrong. I actually own one. But hanging out with them? Yikes. They are so....young. With fresh little faces, no wrinkles. And great hips that 10 pound bundles of joy haven't shoved their way through. Do I sound bitter? LOL, just kidding. But too many of the kids I used to work with do the Saucer, so I'd hate to have to show them how to party.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:22 AM

3,468 posts, read 5,654,131 times
Naaaaaaawwww!!! We go to the Saucer frequently (well, actually, we did go frequently when dd was working there, more like infrequently now), and the reason I like it is because it's not all the "pretty people". There are plenty of social rejects like me!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Hopefully next year, you'll be watching it on your 60" HD flat screen!
Most definitely! Ours is in storage now (only a 50" though)....all our stuff will be released from storage "jail" in 20 days...but who's counting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio