U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,342,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
anybody else notice the plethora of threads that seriously do not belong in the SA section? I don't like to whine, but it's getting to where more than half of them have absolutely nothing to do with SA or are a subject that has been posted at least 100 times already..
As long as the person posting is from San Antonio I don't mind. Seeing the thoughts and opinions of others in the community is something I'm definitely interested in.

I guess most folks don't think to use the search function of the forum. I think at times it faster to use Google to get the answers from here.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:48 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,537,773 times
Weather Nerd Storm Alert:

Woooh! I apologize for the lack of creativity. :P

I've been incredibly busy lately, which is why I have cut back significantly on my posts. However, I did come on to tell you all that the atmospheric dynamics are screaming strong storms this weekend.

On the surface winds are breezy coming from the south east. If you've stepped out at all tonight, you may have noticed that the clouds were moving southeast to northwest -- and yes, that's true for the lower level clouds. However the ones that appear predominately on satellite images tell an entirely different story -- the mid to upper level clouds are coming from the southwest moving northeast. If you were to set an angle between the two directions, you'd end up with approximately a 90 degree angle. This is called wind shear as there is directional/magnitude changes in the wind throughout various levels of the atmosphere. Considering that the winds aloft are from the Jet Stream, or the tighest area of winds in the upper levels, this is fairly significant wind shear.

In addition, the atmosphere is slowly but surely getting saturated thanks to the steady supply of moisture from both the gulf and the pacific.

Finally, we have a source of heat and instability. The cold front that was advertised to come down and bring sleet will not push it into our area.. however the area of greatest lift along the front will stall over our area.

Place all three ingredients together and you have the perfect recipe for storms to pop up. And with such strong dynamics, some of them will be on the strong to severe side with damaging winds, hail, and tornadoes being the primary threats.

The Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma has delinieated our entire region under a SLIGHT RISK for severe weather today (Friday). That means that some hail storms map pop up with the heating of the day.

The worst of it, however, will be into tomorrow. That is when the dynamics will be at it's strongest as the storm system intensifies and we have enhanced shear, instability, and heat combinations. At this time, the Storm Prediction Center has everyone in and around San Antonio and points eastward under a MODERATE RISK. That's issued only when they believe a significant outbreak of severe storms are possible.

That means, if anything, not to panic, but to pay attention to the weather this weekend -- especially if you have outdoor plans. (by that I mean don't just check weather.com 10-day forecast and assume that the event is safe -- I mean closely watch the radar, etc.) I'll try my best to keep this forum updated on any important information to pass along.

The good news from all of this is finally the arrival of some substantial rains!

Last edited by AnthonySA; 02-14-2008 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: Excuse the typos, running on minimal sleep. :P

Old 02-14-2008, 11:54 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,537,773 times
Wow... I didn't realize how long that post was going to be until after I hit enter. Whoops, I guess that's why they gave me the Weather Nerd title.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:49 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,344,094 times
I don't mind long posts that are full of relative and useful information

I so hope we get some good rain. For some strange reason I get depressed when we don't. I think it's all the nasty brown vegetation. So yeah, I also get depressed in winter around here..

Old 02-15-2008, 05:44 AM

14,626 posts, read 31,212,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
anybody else notice the plethora of threads that seriously do not belong in the SA section? I don't like to whine, but it's getting to where more than half of them have absolutely nothing to do with SA or are a subject that has been posted at least 100 times already..
And another thing, lots of them are posted by people that I like to call trolls. If you notice, they often have 1 post count and the subject is one that has been discussed before and has gotten regular posters' feathers ruffled. They just do it to stir the pot, I think. Some people have no life if they have to come on here for that type of amusement.

Contrary to popular belief, I do have a life. It just mostly revolves around my house. Which is where my computer is.

And thanks Weather Nerd! I hope we do get some rain.

Have a great Friday, everyone!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:45 AM

14,626 posts, read 31,212,414 times
Jules, you're a trip! I bet it's fun at your house!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,750,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Jules, you're a trip! I bet it's fun at your house!
It's mayhem, utter chaos!! Actually, it is quite fun, can't imagine life without all these little twerps (and big twerps). Although there are certainly times of arguing, bickering, fighting, etc., there's lots more times when there's laughter, singing and dancing, wrestling (I used to win! ), making the dogs and cats do silly tricks, goofing off when we should be doing something productive (like right now ~ I'm supposed to be making a grocery list!). And the fact that we all like basically the same type of music, activities, and whatnot makes it all the more enjoyable!

Last edited by jules07; 02-15-2008 at 08:44 AM..

Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 AM

470 posts, read 1,792,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
I believe it was a yellow garden spider.
cool spider!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:35 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,750,202 times
RUDOLFO!!!!! (We should make this a game ~ first one to spot Rudolfo gets reps from everyone!!! And reps for LC all around!!)

Old 02-15-2008, 03:14 PM

8 posts, read 11,312 times
please es stop showing my belly in public ok? i am no movie star. when is the next time for meeting everyone. i want to go. maybe we go to taco cabanas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio