U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,349,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
We just got a new 2 in 1 router (for vonage and wireless). It's a D-link. The problem is that it only works if i have the laptop less than 5 feet from the router. That means I can only use the computer if I'm sitting on the floor by our phone etc. I can't do this easily now that our youngest is crawling and close to walking - she's all over me! It's better if I can sit at the desk to avoid her slamming the keyboard....haha.

Hubby will probably fix it tonight but we may have to return the router if these problems persist.....

In the meantime, I can only sneak a few mins. of computer time here and there, while kids are distracted (like when I throw a teether biscuit across the room for them to "fetch"! )
have you tried power cycling it? that usually fixes most issues. Just unplug it for about 30 seconds and plug it back in. A wireless router should easily go several hundred feet with no issue, so if yours will only go 5, that's an issue.. Only other thing I can think of is the transmit power is set way too low, or an antenna isn't screwed in all the way. Might want to reboot the laptop as well. Do you have another computer to test the wireless? if it's only the laptop, you might want to open it up and check the antenna wires. It's not as hard as it sounds and the manual should give clear directions.

not a big D-Link fan, so if you do take it back I'd get something else, like Linksys..

Old 06-16-2008, 03:39 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,219,481 times
This is not to knock San Diego, but rather to boost San Antonio--I posted in the San Diego forum because my son and his buddies are going to be there in July for a writer's conference. Just wanted some suggestions for things for young guys to do (one caveat was they are all 20, so bars are out--I think, anyway ). I got very little in the way of suggestions. I am just surprised, only because so many Californians act like it totally sucks here as far as having things to do, and I just don't buy it.

I wonder if it was just because they can't do the club scene--or is there really not much to do there besides Sea World (which we have), the zoo (world famous, but we have one, too!) and Balboa Park--OK we don't have that.
July in San Diego?

Old 06-16-2008, 03:40 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,219,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
have you tried power cycling it? that usually fixes most issues. Just unplug it for about 30 seconds and plug it back in. A wireless router should easily go several hundred feet with no issue, so if yours will only go 5, that's an issue.. Only other thing I can think of is the transmit power is set way too low, or an antenna isn't screwed in all the way. Might want to reboot the laptop as well. Do you have another computer to test the wireless? if it's only the laptop, you might want to open it up and check the antenna wires. It's not as hard as it sounds and the manual should give clear directions.

not a big D-Link fan, so if you do take it back I'd get something else, like Linksys..
Could you type that with an Indian accent, please? That way we'll all get it.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM

732 posts, read 3,367,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post

We had linksys before and had issues with the vonage etc. We were always losing connectivity....

I've unplugged, rebooted and restarted everything all day. Hubby spoke with Dlink on the weekend and it was fixed for a while....but we seem to have the same issues today. It's really weird.....I'm wondering if it's our roadrunner.....

Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM

486 posts, read 1,020,039 times
well my day just got better after reading all the fun you guys had with cool topic lol ya'll been busy today

Old 06-16-2008, 03:47 PM

3,109 posts, read 8,717,923 times
You guys pulled me back in. I have been lurking for a week or so and I had to come back and get my fix. See new moped post response.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:48 PM

486 posts, read 1,020,039 times
lol oh you're horrible gy lol

Old 06-16-2008, 03:48 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,856,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
This is not to knock San Diego, but rather to boost San Antonio--I posted in the San Diego forum because my son and his buddies are going to be there in July for a writer's conference. Just wanted some suggestions for things for young guys to do (one caveat was they are all 20, so bars are out--I think, anyway ). I got very little in the way of suggestions. I am just surprised, only because so many Californians act like it totally sucks here as far as having things to do, and I just don't buy it.

I wonder if it was just because they can't do the club scene--or is there really not much to do there besides Sea World (which we have), the zoo (world famous, but we have one, too!) and Balboa Park--OK we don't have that.
July in San Diego?
I really don't think there's much to do for the under 21 crowd. Aside from the beach, a ball game, or museums, I couldn't think of anything else. As I said yesterday, they would absolutely love TJ, but it's really a bad time to go right now.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:51 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,349,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
We had linksys before and had issues with the vonage etc. We were always losing connectivity....

I've unplugged, rebooted and restarted everything all day. Hubby spoke with Dlink on the weekend and it was fixed for a while....but we seem to have the same issues today. It's really weird.....I'm wondering if it's our roadrunner.....
do you have more than one computer? it seriously helps to have at least two, that way you can eliminate things when it happens to one and not the other. Might also want to plug the laptop (if you only have that) directly into the cable modem and see what happens. If the connection still sucks, then you probably know where the problem is. Have you rebooted the cable modem lately?

and San Diego is heaven. If the kids can't enjoy life there, they have issues. The best thing is you can actually go outside all day long and enjoy it. Definitely can't do that here in the summer

Old 06-16-2008, 03:51 PM

732 posts, read 3,367,307 times
Ok....we went to see the new M. Night Shamalan movie last night and........

maybe you should wait until it comes out on video......

That's all I'm going to say.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio