U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 04:11 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,843,187 times

Advertisements

My pet peeves are:
-bad grammar (Spanish or English)
-poor spelling (again, Spanish or English)
-bad telephone etiquette (If you don't know how to answer a phone properly, don't pick up!)
-USING ALL CAPS!!!! (Stop screaming at me! *lol*)

I'll think of more later, I'm sure!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,571,234 times
My pet peeves:
- the way some folks spell definitely as definately
- folks that insist on standing "on" line rather than "in" line, espcially in today's world of being online!
- the way the news shows "tease" with a "big" story, then wait until half-way through the newscast to report it
- contractors or other workers that go in and out of the house without closing the door behind them, letting my cats escape
- cell phone talkers that act as if they are alone or behind a sound-proof wall
and finally - the circulars that come in the mail every week that I have absolutely no use for and that waste precious trees and weigh down the mail carrier's load ultimately wasting gas and polluting the environment!

whew...

Old 04-03-2008, 04:50 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,524,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
the way the news shows "tease" with a "big" story, then wait until half-way through the newscast to report it
Ugh! And when you finally do get to watch the story, they ended up giving more information in the TEASE than the actual story. It's especially painful if this is in a late night news broadcast.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:56 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,734,826 times
I've been petting Peeve for so long his fur is all worn off!

- using "their/they're/there", "except/accept", etc. incorrectly
- whining. 'nuff said!
- My mom not understanding that just because she is now retired and can talk on the phone at any time of the day, doesn't mean that I'm "avoiding" her just because I'm swamped with stuff!
- people trying to "haggle" with you when you work retail and the price is totally outta your control (Especially when it's an upscale/high end store and you know the haggler can well afford it!)

And as we speak ~ waiting for UPS to deliver an uber important box that is supposedly on the truck!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:24 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,211,265 times
I have the same as several of you. Pronunciation and spelling are the worst for me.
In particular is the word: "preventive". It's pronounced pre-ven-tive, not pre-ven-ta-tive.
Stop putting an extra sylable in it.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:44 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,291,155 times
here's just a few that I thought of today..

- motorcyclists with attitudes. one bump is really all it takes, but obviously none of them paid attention in physics..

- packs of cars all going exactly the same speed. with nobody in front or in back of them

- the word progessive. It is usually used by people with one specific agenda and if you don't agree with them, you are in the wrong. What exactly is this progressing towards?

- the word gentrification. I'm fairly certain most people who use this word do not know what it means (gentrification - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary). If they do know what it means and are using it in that context, they probably shouldn’t be posting it in this forum..

Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Other pet peeves of mine...

saying "I could care less"...could you, really? Then, why don't you?

Oh, and irregardless....aaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:18 AM

4,147 posts, read 7,222,953 times
Oh no i think i annoy a lot of you.

I cant spell to dave a life (sorry to a lot of you)

I can't seem to get there, their, or they're. (sorry jules07)

Sentence structure not my strong point either. (sorry AnthonySA)

My per peeves-

People who have to be right
Being negative for no reason
Bashing someone with no facts
Not being old enough to legally drink
Like SanAntoQT people pretending not to care

Old 04-04-2008, 05:47 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Oh no i think i annoy a lot of you.

I cant spell to dave a life (sorry to a lot of you)

I can't seem to get there, their, or they're. (sorry jules07)

Sentence structure not my strong point either. (sorry AnthonySA)

My per peeves-

People who have to be right
Being negative for no reason
Bashing someone with no facts
Not being old enough to legally drink
Well, you're young and a cutie (picture forum) so we're gonna let you slide.

If you come back on and say, "Oh yeah, middle-aged women who think I'm cute really chaps my a$$" then I take it back and I'll edit every one of your posts.

Speaking of words misspoken--I used to work for a large insurance company, and I worked with a woman who always said "mammiogram" MAM-EEEE-O-GRAM--to PATIENTS!! It was like nails on a chalkboard every time she said it--which was almost daily, and no one in management would correct her. She just sounded stupid.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
What I meant by "I could care less" is that it should be "I couldn't care less."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio