U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 AM

5,633 posts, read 13,943,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'm only here for about half a day. The drive in alone was worth getting up for work. I love it when absolutely nothing happens and I hardly see anyone else on the road.
You mean during a Spurs or Cowboys game? Favorite time for shopping, eating out and hitting the gym.

I once went to a movie theater in a small town on the border when the Cowboys were at the Superbowl......me and a friend were alone. We saw over 3 movies that day without seeing a soul. It was great yelling, running down the aisle and throwing food at each other without worrying about any repercussion. There wasn't even anyone at the concession area.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 AM

11,930 posts, read 12,801,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
We have a chimenea out back......have yet to use it!!
We have one too and a fire bowl. Did they tell you how to use your chimena? Start small, especially if it's cold to the touch, or you will crack it. Did you get the stand? Place some dirt or sand in the bottom then some bricks. This will help the bottom last longer. Have had ours for about 10 years and love it. It's fun to do hot dogs or marshmellows over the top.

I don't mean to come across as a know it all, just trying to be helpful.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
reminds me of this time I was in a movie theater in Cartagena, Colombia watching Dumb and Dumber. There were three of us and a Colombian family in the entire theater. The movie was in English, so we would laugh and after they read the subtitles, they would laugh

Old 01-02-2009, 12:42 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,943,736 times
What were ya doing in Colombia? Trying to hunt down Pablo the cartel kingpin?

Funny story. I can picture a stuccato of laughter in a spanish architecture-style theater with tile and plaster.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:32 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,983,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
We have one too and a fire bowl. Did they tell you how to use your chimena? Start small, especially if it's cold to the touch, or you will crack it. Did you get the stand? Place some dirt or sand in the bottom then some bricks. This will help the bottom last longer. Have had ours for about 10 years and love it. It's fun to do hot dogs or marshmellows over the top.

I don't mean to come across as a know it all, just trying to be helpful.
Actually we haven't used it cause we had no clue what to do. It was given to us as a gift. Your info helps alot! Stupid question do you use regular firewood in it to burn or something else?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Actually we haven't used it cause we had no clue what to do. It was given to us as a gift. Your info helps alot! Stupid question do you use regular firewood in it to burn or something else?
There are no stupid questions.

We just use regular wood but remember....start small, let the clay warm up to the touch, them slowly add more wood. We also just use the block fire starters. Just break off a chunk and lay some small pieces of wood on it. We have the large one with one hole and you should see everyone trying to be the middle person! It's like musical chairs for drunks!!

How lucky you are to receive that as a gift. You need to give them my name. ha ha

You will love it.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
One more thing...another reason for the sand then the bricks is to raise the fire to eye level. After all, thats what a fire is for, to watch.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:25 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
I was on the USS Valley Forge and we made a port call there. Not the most brilliant port for the mission we were on, but at least the months pay was tax free and we got hostile fire pay..

Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,356,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
reminds me of this time I was in a movie theater in Cartagena, Colombia watching Dumb and Dumber. There were three of us and a Colombian family in the entire theater. The movie was in English, so we would laugh and after they read the subtitles, they would laugh
argh! I had a similar experience watching 'The Dinner Game' with a French friend - at home on video so no one else was there. He'd laugh about 2-3 seconds before the English subtitle appeared. Drove me crazy!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,983,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
One more thing...another reason for the sand then the bricks is to raise the fire to eye level. After all, thats what a fire is for, to watch.
Thank you Thank you!
It is an awesome gift. I'm just glad now we know how to use it. We were too worried we'd burn everything down. Gasp. I will definately take your tips to use!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio