Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 01:44 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
I love mysteries......I love "City Confidential" on AE. The stories are so intriguing that I am usually googling the victim while the show is on!!

I agree with you on wanting to understand what possesses a person to kill their spouse or their mother and/or father. I get particularly intrigued by children who kill their parents....a lot of the times for money and not always a fortune either. It is amazing to me how someone a can methodically plan a murder. I think that is also why I really like Law and Order.....they actually delve into the reason for these heinous crimes.
YES!!! Absolutely.... this is exactly what I'm talking about.... I don't have A&E or Court TV right now, (CTV has changed so much anyway, not as 'good' as it used to be...)
but yes, City Confidential is one of the best... besides I LOVE that guy's voice!
I like everything Bill Curtis does on A&ETV also...

I think my fascination started when I was in high school; my English teacher brought the NEWLY-published "In Cold Blood" to class, talked about it... he really talked mostly about it being a new genre, true crime written almost like a novel.... was different at the time....
at the same time, Dr Sam Shepard was filing, via F Lee Bailey, for a new trial... my grandmother had been one of his nurses at one time.... I followed that like crazy, got a book by Earle Stanley Gardner...
AND nearly simultaneously, the Boston Stangler was either: concluding a trial OR the book about it just came out... so there I was immersed again....
AND a mere two years later - eegads, I can remember precisely where I was when news broke on the car radio that Sharon Tate and several other people had been found murdered in her home.... my brother's then-girlfriend lived next door to/grew up with Leslie Van Houten....

so, yeah, I got 'early' exposure, you might say... just find it absolutely jaw-dropped, gob-smacked, intriguing......

Old 12-04-2007, 01:59 PM

781 posts, read 3,816,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
YES!!! Absolutely.... this is exactly what I'm talking about.... I don't have A&E or Court TV right now, (CTV has changed so much anyway, not as 'good' as it used to be...)
but yes, City Confidential is one of the best... besides I LOVE that guy's voice!
I like everything Bill Curtis does on A&ETV also....
I am sad for you.....No A&E network......I will think of you the next time I watch it!!!

Wow....you really did have exposure to some true life crime. My love of mysteries can from....wait for it.......Nancy Drew!!!! I could not get enough of those as a young girl.....I even have a few of the original editions from the 30's that I found in the early 70's in a used bookstore. From then it grew to loving Columbo, McMillian and Wife, etc. and as I got to be an adult, more non-fiction books about crimes of passion.

Now I read them all.....fiction and non-fiction along with the shows like C.C.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:53 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
City Confidential is one of the best... besides I LOVE that guy's voice!
Which one? There were two. Paul Winfield (left), who originally narrated the show (41 episodes between 1998 and 2004, when he passed away from a heart attack) and Keith David (right), who did the remaining 11 episodes from 2004-2005...

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/5066/KeithDavid_Count_10005808_400.jpg (broken link)

Cheers! M2

Old 12-04-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Which one? There were two. Paul Winfield (left), who originally narrated the show (41 episodes between 1998 and 2004, when he passed away from a heart attack) and Keith David (right), who did the remaining 11 episodes from 2004-2005...

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/5066/KeithDavid_Count_10005808_400.jpg (broken link)

Cheers! M2

Boy, I don't know!! I'd have to hear the voice.....
but I'm guessing Paul Winfield, by the dates.....

Old 12-04-2007, 03:23 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Quote:
Are there any true crime buffs in here?
Particularly murder mysteries??
I don't know why, but I am intrigued by true crime/murder mysteries....

I think because I've always been intrigued by HOW someone can literally MURDER another human being... it mystifies me as to how someone can get to the place where they are willing to actually take another life...

and even MORE specifically, familial murder....
murder of a spouse, a parent, a sibling.....
I am intrigued by these stories....

I'm also often interested in serial killer stories as well, BAFFLED as to how/why/what these people are all about.....

Jeeze, this is sounding kind of macabre, and I don't really mean it to....
For instance, I was obsessed with the Scott Peterson trial...

now, I'm following the DREW PETERSON story...

wow, Scott Peterson, wife LACY Peterson
then, Drew Peterson, wife, STACY Peterson

anyone else interested in true crime?
YES!! I ALWAYS watch those shows on TV about true crimes (Forensic files, etc.). My husband always teases me and says "are you trying to find a way to kill me and get away with it??" LOL~~
Like you, I just can't figure out why someone could do such things. I followed the Scott Peterson story and am now following the Drew Peterson story. I was also interested in the 18 year old they just found in Kansas, maybe that is because she is from Bandera (my home town). That was a really sad story, I know it was that Mireles guy.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:34 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
YES!! I ALWAYS watch those shows on TV about true crimes (Forensic files, etc.). My husband always teases me and says "are you trying to find a way to kill me and get away with it??" LOL~~
Like you, I just can't figure out why someone could do such things. I followed the Scott Peterson story and am now following the Drew Peterson story. I was also interested in the 18 year old they just found in Kansas, maybe that is because she is from Bandera (my home town). That was a really sad story, I know it was that Mireles guy.
Emily was a close friend (during their high school years) of my daughter's best friend. The last couple of weeks have been a true emotional roller coaster for "my girls" (daughter and her friend - my "adopted" daughter). Some of the rumors that my "daughter" heard from Kansas during the whole ordeal before they found Emily were truly horrifying. It's also been a wake-up call for them, that you can never be too careful.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:03 PM

85 posts, read 357,026 times
My husband & I love the gory stuff. We recently watched some show where they performed actual autopsy. It was fascinating.
Last weekend we rented Mr. Brooks w/Kevin Costner. He plays a serial killer who looks for all the world to be a normal guy. He is even named Man Of The Year. There are all kinds of freaky twists and turns in this movie. It's an incredible look in to the mind of the truly disturbed. You'll probably spend the next couple of days, after seeing it, trying to wrap your head around the idea that people could actually be that demented.

We watch Criminal Minds, SVU, Dexter, the CSI series. My father was a police detective so maybe that's where some of my fascination w/crime comes from?????

Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
OK, one thing about me. I don't watch much TV. Just Heroes really. Did anyone see the "final" episode tonight? It was great! I totally called Nathan being one of the two killed off tonight.

Any other shows you "must see?"
The ONLY TV show I MUST see is "Desperate Housewives"....;(

I can NOT believe that I got hooked on it, but I sure did, hook, line and sinker. What a cliffhanger with this darn writers strike!!!

REALLy sad news is I read that there will be more "reality type" shows since the writer strike is killing all the series types shows.....

Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 PM

85 posts, read 357,026 times
Quote:
ooooh, what's the art medium????
Okay, let me try this again. My browser crashed the first time I tried to answer this.

Mostly charcoal or graphite pencil sketches, but I dabble in other things too such as, pigment inks/ markers, acrylics.

Here is one of my drawings....

Old 12-04-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Emily was a close friend (during their high school years) of my daughter's best friend. The last couple of weeks have been a true emotional roller coaster for "my girls" (daughter and her friend - my "adopted" daughter). Some of the rumors that my "daughter" heard from Kansas during the whole ordeal before they found Emily were truly horrifying. It's also been a wake-up call for them, that you can never be too careful.
Oh my goodness!!!

I'm not sure if I'm familiar with this one... there have been a few right in a row here that seem kind of similar....

wellll..... ((((((Jules and daughter )))))))

how really frightening and just.... FREAKY.... this must have all been for you guys.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio