U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:16 PM

10 posts, read 28,801 times

Advertisements

Perhaps we could find the young professionals, poll those who have investment dollars and create a place/community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 03:14 PM

200 posts, read 94,200 times
Thanks guys. This is exactly the reason why I'm working on leaving this city - I've been to nearly all of the places the previous poster suggested (although I haven't visited Southtown in over three years).

The fact of the matter is this: I'm young, college educated, and gay - the educated and gay part seem to be two minorities of a city of mostly uneducated, straight people with too many kids - it's just kind of aggravating at times. While I agree it's easier to accept it than fight it, I just can't seem to fall into the laid back lifestyle even though I've lived here my entire life.

I'm going to check out Southtown this weekend with it being First Friday and all, which last time I went, was kind of fun. What's frusterating about this city is that I know there are lots of urban, young, educated types because I see them at LaCantera and sometimes at bars - but there's no specific place where they congregate (as 4th, 5th, and 6th streets in Austin, Montrose and Uptown in Houston, and Uptown, West End, and Lower Greenville in Dallas).

Someone needs to take some undeveloped land in an easily accessible and desireable part of town and turn it into a hip, trendy, urban oasis that attracts these types.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:23 PM

73 posts, read 91,196 times
Have you checked out the South Flores Art District? Go to Second Saturday or try to go to the SMART Fair that takes place in South Flores Arts District. South Flores Arts District | San Antonio, Texas

Also, did you go to Luminaria?

Old 04-01-2008, 03:32 PM

Nope, I didn't. I'll check 'em out.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:41 PM

83 posts, read 217,402 times
sometimes people just need to go out and stop looking for such specific things when you go out. go out and have fun meet all different types of people try new places don't stick to the same ones. just go out and enjoy yourself and the company around you. San Antonio is an amazingly beautiful city throw away your agenda next time you go out, see how that works!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM

More on South Flores. That area is quickly being development with new housing. From condos to lofts to apartments. This is a neat site. Welcome to Downtown Dwellings! Your site for hot properties in Downtown San Antonio.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:48 PM

580 posts, read 1,276,040 times
Hey, turnmeon.

Sorry that it's not working out for you. I think it's important for us all to realize that this city is not for everyone. Many people have good reasons for liking and disliking any city, from NYC to SA to SF. Maybe it's just not for you!

One thing I can say about SA is that pretty much everything is a little too "dispersed," but I think that is changing. I also recognize that this city can feel less "formally" educated than other cities.

I have found that people who have similar interests tend to find each other and appreciate each other quite a bit, with a little effort. Check out new areas, and make use of facebook, myspace, etc. One good contact can introduce you to a whole new world.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you've been to Liberty Bar. I was in there yesterday, and I always seem to see a good, liberal, academic-y crowd. I also notice a pretty consistent gay presence there, from the artsy types to the beefy boys. (I remember being there once and seeing a table of four GIGANTIC leathermen, and I wondered: Where the hell do you people come from?)

Also, some of the clubs in the Tobin Hill area can have a good gay/straight, and somewhat educated and artsy, feel: Candlelight, Limelight, and even Atomix on a Friday night, if you can deal with the goths.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:49 PM

824 posts, read 1,601,764 times
trnmeon:

Right now........what you're describing is hard to find. This is a city that lacks a Montrose/Lower Greenville district (a concentrated area of bars/clubs/restaurants). But we're working on it - the Pearl Brewery (2 major new restaurant announcements forthcoming soon) and surrounding developments on Broadway (700 new urban apartments within walking distance of Pearl) ought to fill that significant void.

But that doesn't mean there's not great places to hang (Southtown has been mentioned, and it's really the best thing we have right now). I would encourage you to get involved in the arts scene; there's tons of independent art events all the time, not just on First Friday. The McNay Art Museum has a Contemporary Collectors Forum, geared toward people like you & I (basically keeps you in the loop on art happenings across the city). Last year, there was an awesome collective exhibition at an abandoned motel on S. Presa; last month there was a great installation at an old warehouse just off S. Flores...........lots of young, educated people!

Keep in mind: SA is growing rapidly, and there's an influx of young, childless professionals (both gay and straight, and here mostly for jobs/careers) who are frustrated just like you at the lack of social anchors. It's a really exciting time.........since I've moved here (2000) there's never been as many young people (recent transplants, I mean) who want the same thing you want............and if you can wait for a few years, I think this is gonna be a great(er) place to live........

Old 04-01-2008, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Just a FYI, my handle is not sexual in nature, just signifiying that I need to be turned on, socially and culturally, because I've been turned off so far.

I have not been to Liberty bar yet, but I have of course been to the Heat, the Saint, and the other gay bars down there. Although I've met some attractive guys, I even find that among gay men, I still don't really vibe with the crowd. Who knows.

But I'm excited at the prospect to meet some of these types that you describe, and if I can't, I'll just know that having exhausted basically everything this city has to offer, it's not for me.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:02 PM

There's a lot of interesting things going on in San Antonio. From SoFlo to River North and the Pearl District. Not to mention the proposed Arts and Entertainment District on the near East side as well as Tobin Hill. Heck, even the suburban stuff in far north and far northwest SA is very very interesting. From phase II of The Shops to The Town Center at La Cantera, Eilan, The Landmark, The Village at The Rim, Tacara, La Joya and many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or