Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:51 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,962,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Lol... Nice But that alone doesn't make a German "culture" in San Antonio...
BTW: does one has to be a member to eat there?
Nope, don't have to be a member to eat or drink there. I answered your question about German culture you can find in San Antonio right now. A German society hall with a German beer garden definitely fits the bill. I recommend you check it out.

And Künstler Brewing in the Lone Star neighborhood makes some killer German style beers and has awesome German food as well. The owner and head brewer is a German lady.

Last edited by TXEX06; 08-07-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 09:18 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,970,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Besides the low cost of living?
Besides the low cost of living, which is huge, because you can live in real nice neighbourhoods for very cheap, it is near the hill country, it has a slower past of life than most cities do, some people like the Tejano/Mexican culture (can't say I am too much of a fan personally though), it is pretty close to the beach (never mind the beaches in Texas suck), it doesn't get cold (yeah... some people actually like this).

I'm getting a little burned out on it, but I can see why people like it.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:19 PM

>it has German culture
Not anymore mate.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:21 PM

I forgot to add, it is sort of conservative for a city, though that is changing, and it has a strong Catholic culture, although that is also changing

Old 08-07-2018, 09:39 PM

61,430 posts, read 86,526,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
You must have not tried very hard...

Oktoberfest
Wurstfest
NIOSA has a large German influence

Castroville
Fredricksburg
New Braunfels
Being from Germany, I can assure you that's not really German, or just wanna be German. For people that don't know the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Bavarian Restaurant in Kirby
On FM 78.
This place has been here for YEARS with great ratings.
It's just Mike who cooks there. German - American food. The rest of his crew probably can't even point Germany on the map. I happen to know him and the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Nope, don't have to be a member to eat or drink there. I answered your question about German culture you can find in San Antonio right now. A German society hall with a German beer garden definitely fits the bill. I recommend you check it out.

And Künstler Brewing in the Lone Star neighborhood makes some killer German style beers and has awesome German food as well. The owner and head brewer is a German lady.
Thank you! Will stop by. Don't have many hopes, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
>it has German culture
Not anymore mate.
That's correct. It's a thing of the past.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:18 PM

I don't think it is wannabe German. New Braunfels is apparently Bavarian, specifically. They are holding on to their ancestors past culture, and celebrating it for a week. Just because Germany has gotten more like America and hasn't held on to their traditional clothing and such doesn't mean they are wannabe Germans. I generally agree, though, that in order to be a real German you have to speak the language

Old 08-07-2018, 10:29 PM

61,430 posts, read 86,526,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I don't think it is wannabe German. New Braunfels is apparently Bavarian, specifically. They are holding on to their ancestors past culture, and celebrating it for a week. Just because Germany has gotten more like America and hasn't held on to their traditional clothing and such doesn't mean they are wannabe Germans. I generally agree, though, that in order to be a real German you have to speak the language
OK. You know better

Old 08-07-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OK. You know better

Old 08-08-2018, 05:29 AM

282 posts, read 340,019 times
Thanks to being a military brat and then 42 years working for the Army I’ve lived in 17 states and 3 foreign countries. Is San Antonio the best? Probably not but much of my life was spent growing up and living in the south and southwest. Left me very little tolerance of cold weather and snow was definitely a 4-letter word. When the Army offered us a chance to move from Northern Virginia to San Antonio on their dime we jumped at it. Our quality of life definitely went up from less stressful jobs, easier commutes, significantly better housing for the same money, and no snow. We’re here for good and happy.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:42 AM

4,430 posts, read 5,324,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevereveragain View Post
It most certainly isn’t conservative, like at all. Last Republican mayor was elected in the 90s, last time voted for a Republican President was 2004.

I can go in, but 2018 San Antonio is far from conservative. Far.
The city of San Antonio is not, but the metro is very purple.

When you tally all the vote totals of the 8 county metropolitan area you will find:

Hillary Clinton 371,073
Donald Trump 380,117

https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...esident/texas/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio