U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:51 PM

4,263 posts, read 7,132,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1226 View Post
OK guys, we are moving to SA this summer and your speeds arent close to ours in Delaware. We hate Comcast, but it looks like our speeds are much better, what gives? Is yours like a low RR basic plan? anyone on Uverse can post their speeds?

You probably won't even notice much of a difference. Yes, there are several different levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 AM

1,836 posts, read 2,097,554 times

Mine's not bad, but it's been better on the upload speed in the past. I've pushed 1.5 on a good night. My best DL was around 13000.

Right now, I've got RR Turbo. Tested on a wireless-N network, so the numbers may be a smidge lower than on a CAT-5, wired connection.

BN

Old 06-20-2008, 09:00 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,738,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1226 View Post
OK guys, we are moving to SA this summer and your speeds arent close to ours in Delaware. We hate Comcast, but it looks like our speeds are much better, what gives? Is yours like a low RR basic plan? anyone on Uverse can post their speeds?

Mine is basic. 10/1 is available for $60. But CWH just mentioned 15/2 so I suppose some in S.A. have that option and the up on that is twice what you have.

The larger question is... how much are you paying and do you really take advantage of it? I pay $30 and believe you me, I take full advantage of my speed. I'm being presumptuous, but no streaming SD video or small sporadic downloads (less than a gig) do not warrant anything higher.

Despite avg. need, I think all major ISPs need to up their game to parallel our neighbors abroad... some of my in laws in Tokyo have 100Mbps full duplex FTTH

If I'm not mistaken, FTTH was a pre-condition for some of FCC's grants/Fed subsidies to ATT, yet here they are rolling out the cheaper (and less scalable) FTTN alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post

Mine's not bad, but it's been better on the upload speed in the past. I've pushed 1.5 on a good night. My best DL was around 13000.

Right now, I've got RR Turbo. Tested on a wireless-N network, so the numbers may be a smidge lower than on a CAT-5, wired connection.

BN
Good point on LAN type. At my current LAN speeds, I'd probably peak at 9.8Mbps to my upstairs game room because of signal attenuation. Sadly, this is even on MIMO G. Central placement of my router or another WAP would be ideal to achieve your speeds, but I'm focusing on final ratification of the N spec in March '09 (but hopefully sooner!).

OR... maybe I should task my wife with a new project today:

Ez-12 <-- Parabolic Antenna how-to

Oh, what the hey, I'll do it

Last edited by tekka-maki; 06-20-2008 at 09:29 AM..

Old 06-20-2008, 10:27 AM

RR has been very kind this morning

Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,097,554 times
... And with all of these bandwidth numbers, you also have to take into account that speed without the proper processing power is totally useless.

Example: You've got an insane speed pipeline, but the website you're DL'ing from is on a slow server. Also, it works in opposite ways, with your own chipset determining how fast your machine can display the DL'ed info.

Basically, no matter how fast the connection, the ultimate speed is determined by how clean your computer is running.

On a sidenote, I love FireFox 3.0... It's fast, offers some nice add-ons and works well within the TWC system.

BN

Old 06-20-2008, 01:22 PM

4,263 posts, read 7,132,911 times
Yes, it does. very smooth so far.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
... And with all of these bandwidth numbers, you also have to take into account that speed without the proper processing power is totally useless.

Example: You've got an insane speed pipeline, but the website you're DL'ing from is on a slow server. Also, it works in opposite ways, with your own chipset determining how fast your machine can display the DL'ed info.

Basically, no matter how fast the connection, the ultimate speed is determined by how clean your computer is running.

BN
Yes, you'll always be only as fast as the slowest link (or hop, as it were).

However, you'd have to be talking about a really archaic system to not handles the speeds posted here. I still have a notebook purchased in 2002, with a 1Ghz PIII (Tualatin core), 10/100TX NIC, 5400RPM ATA HDD, and 512MB of RAM. However it can handle 10-15Mbps down just fine which is much more than most would need or at a transfer rate greater than many web/file servers would even serve.

Perhaps if one's HDD was seriously fragmented and the disc was transferring slower than 15Mbps (1.8MB), but that sucker would have to be in pretty bad shape.

Proper MTU setting on your NIC is one of the most important settings, imo.

Quote:
On a sidenote, I love FireFox 3.0... It's fast, offers some nice add-ons and works well within the TWC system.
A little buggy on my wife's Vista notebook (not sure if it's an extension so running in safe mode now to deduce problem) but overall I love it too. Loads faster than FF 2 in startup and particularly javascript intensive apps (e.g. Gmail) with smaller memory footprint.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:10 PM

107 posts, read 262,760 times
Quote:

BN
agreed...and although I have a Wireless N, Im running through my 10/1000 router with a Q6600, 4gb RAM, 2 X BFG 8800GTS (G92)on an Abit IN9-32MAX ~ call me a tech junky, but I really want the most speed for the best price. And im not sure which way to go...RR or Uverse. I have 4 weeks to decide

Old 06-24-2008, 07:12 AM

To all those still making up their minds, it seems that the majority (if not all) TWC HSI customers have gotten a speed bump. I average about 12Mbps down now, on the standard/basic whatever-you-call-it-this-week tier.

This coincides w/ TWC's recent move to discontinue complimentary newsgroups to its customers effective 6-23-08 .

Next batch of anti-consumer network regression techniques will be the 40GB caps, at which point, I'll be saying 'hasta la vista' Time Warner. I'm sure they'll miss me and my $30 HSI monthly payment.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have U-Verse-rr.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio