Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 AM

529 posts, read 2,706,260 times

Advertisements

It's about 6 inches around. I don't back up to a green belt and I'm not next do any vacant lots. The dogs are very curious about him/her and I don't want to the dogs to hurt the turtle and I don't want the turtle to hurt the dogs.
I'll give her a day or so to move on but if he doesn't I was thinking about taking him to a wooded area not to far from my house.

If I lift him from the sides, can she turn her head back far enough to snap at me? Any other precautions? Is there a special way to pick him up. Would he/she be happier by a lake or pond?

What do they like to eat?

BTW, I live in Live Oak.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,942,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
It's about 6 inches around. I don't back up to a green belt and I'm not next do any vacant lots. The dogs are very curious about him/her and I don't want to the dogs to hurt the turtle and I don't want the turtle to hurt the dogs.
I'll give her a day or so to move on but if he doesn't I was thinking about taking him to a wooded area not to far from my house.

If I lift him from the sides, can she turn her head back far enough to snap at me? Any other precautions? Is there a special way to pick him up. Would he/she be happier by a lake or pond?

What do they like to eat?

BTW, I live in Live Oak.

Thanks!
do you think that maybe it is someone's pet? have you asked any of the neighbors if they are missing a turtle? i've seen ppl feed lettuce to turtles. maybe you could try that. maybe there is a state wildlife agency that you could call. i'm glad that you're doing your best to help him.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,910,459 times
I have "saved' a few turtles in my life, usually when I see them trying to cross the road. I usually just grab them on the sides of their shells and have never been "snapped." Still, you want to be careful, if it is a common snapping turtle, you will want to pick it up by the tail. If you don't want to do that, and if moving it is absolutely necessary, Wikipedia recommends "scooping and lifting the turtle just off the ground with a shovel (especially a snow shovel; but where are you going to find one of those in San Antonio?), if done quickly, may be safest and easiest for all concerned parties.

Lifting the turtle with the hands is difficult and dangerous. Some snappers can -- and will -- stretch their necks halfway back across their own carapace to bite. Manual lifting (which should be done only if no other options are available) is best accomplished by sliding fingers behind the turtle's hind legs, with the tail between the hands, and gripping the turtle between the fingers and thumbs. The handler then proceeds to lift the turtle only just off the ground. The turtle will probably squirm and try to dislodge the handler's hands with its hind legs. Even a small snapper is relatively powerful for its size, with long sharp claws; further, due to their aquatic inclinations, these turtles are often slimy and wet, and they are good at causing prospective handlers to lose their grip. In any case that a snapping turtle must be handled, it is best to have the turtle on the ground or very close. Wild turtles may be covered with a smelly pond slime and may also defecate, urinate, or musk on a handler."

Good luck, but as recommended, I would check to make sure it isn't a neighbor's pet!

Cheers! M2

Last edited by majormadmax; 04-03-2008 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,524,213 times
My brother used to have two turtles. One ran away
He fed them lettuce and other leafy green vegetables.

I agree with checking the neighbors, maybe posting signs.
You can do a search for wildlife rescue - we found someone to take a baby squirrel that way.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,567,517 times
Be careful that it's not one of those South Texas Charging Turtles. Be sure he doesn't back you into a corner. If it is indeed a snapping turtle and he bites you. Be advised that he won't let go until it thunders. Around here that could be a looooong time.

Turtles are cool. Do a google and find out what kind he is and what he likes to eat. Have some fun with him. Maybe it's a sign of rain.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,438,917 times
Make turtle soup?

Kidding, kidding!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM

337 posts, read 1,428,144 times
"want to do that, and if moving it is absolutely necessary, Wikipedia recommends "scooping and lifting the turtle just off the ground with a shovel (especially a snow shovel; but where are you going to find one of those in San Antonio?), "

HEY>>> *I* just happen to have a snow shovel!!! It has moved with me from Des Moines, to Olympia, and now here! You wouldn't believe how many uses there are for a snow shovel, other than shoveling snow! Would be happy to lend it out to save a turtle!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:34 AM

260 posts, read 1,133,131 times
If I had to guess, I'd say it's most likely a box turtle... If so, picking it up by the sides won't be a problem at all.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:53 PM

330 posts, read 1,368,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Be careful that it's not one of those South Texas Charging Turtles. Be sure he doesn't back you into a corner. If it is indeed a snapping turtle and he bites you. Be advised that he won't let go until it thunders. Around here that could be a looooong time.
Also, be careful that it is not a ninja turtle, of the teenage, mutant variety. Those are liable to roundhouse kick you in the face.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:05 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,534,577 times
I would google a picture and make sure it isn't a snapper. We use to put them out of the river all the time and snappers are nothing to mess with. Now, if it is like a box or painted turtle, you can pick them up by the sides and carry them around. Watch out, they will urinate on you! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio