U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,216 posts, read 3,983,454 times
Reputation: 1179

Advertisements

What about the middle school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
 
6 posts, read 16,882 times
Reputation: 10
Not sure about middle school. You may want to try GreatSchools.net.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-04-2008 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: repaired url address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 14 days ago)
 
14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedar View Post
Yes, the SD is just off of Kriewald Rd. The elementary school is northside. The elementary school is Mary Michael elementary.
My nieces, both excellent students, attend Mary Michael Elementary, and they are white. My SIL has not mentioned any racial problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,216 posts, read 3,983,454 times
Reputation: 1179
I checked and believe it is Anson Jones Middle School.
I don't know anything about the elementary schools. They may be great. But I would run from AJM from my observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 11:12 AM
 
29 posts, read 80,845 times
Reputation: 18
Rayburn Sam is the middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 02:17 PM
 
361 posts, read 821,892 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Sorry, but, your friend is full of crap. As a Latina, I can tell you that no one will think twice because you're caucasian. The only time that will ever be an issue is, as kevcrawford stated, if you carry yourself with a superior attitude. But, honestly, it would be the attitude more than the skin color. Trust me, plenty of chicanos walk around with a superior attitude and that isn't well-received, either!

Not true. I grew up in a primarily-hispanic neighborhood, and got called "gringo" (among other things) more times than I could count (you know very well it's not intended as a compliment and is intended as a derogatory remark against my skin color). I also got treated like an outsider by most hispanic kids even though I did have quite a few hispanic friends. Going to school sucked because I was always singled out by other kids raising the "gringo" factor.

Not all hispanics are like that, but to say that hispanics don't single out and treat non-hispanics differently isn't true at all. I've seen it repeatedly pretty much my whole life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
2,397 posts, read 5,843,572 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
Not true. I grew up in a primarily-hispanic neighborhood, and got called "gringo" (among other things) more times than I could count (you know very well it's not intended as a compliment and is intended as a derogatory remark against my skin color). I also got treated like an outsider by most hispanic kids even though I did have quite a few hispanic friends. Going to school sucked because I was always singled out by other kids raising the "gringo" factor.

Not all hispanics are like that, but to say that hispanics don't single out and treat non-hispanics differently isn't true at all. I've seen it repeatedly pretty much my whole life.
Oh, please...cry me a river. I grew up and went to school in the Harlandale and South San school districts. Both high schools were predominantly Latino. The only time an Anglo got called out was because he/she was being obnoxious, not because they were white. Where in my post did you read that I said ALL Latinos would be welcoming? I don't think I said that. As in other racial/ethnic groups, you have those Latinos who will be distrustful of someone they consider an "outsider." As for having been subjected to prejudice, all I can say is welcome to my world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Rio Grande Valley/Tone City
362 posts, read 939,746 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3253 View Post
Most of SA is made up of mostly hispanic/mexican along with a few whites and blacks mixed in. I can't say I don't notice the race of my neighbors, it's human nature, but I am not turned off by non latin neighbors.I love seeing the kids walking home from school, the groups made up of all races. I am American/Mexican and would love to have you as my neighbor. Is Amberwood the SD located near 1604/90/hunt ln area?

A few whites? Whites compromise almost 40 percent of the population. Almost 800,000 in the San Antonio area, more than the pop of some major cities, Indianapolis for example. Over 1 million hispanics in S.A metro, and over 100,000 african Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM
 
361 posts, read 821,892 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Oh, please...cry me a river. I grew up and went to school in the Harlandale and South San school districts. Both high schools were predominantly Latino. The only time an Anglo got called out was because he/she was being obnoxious, not because they were white. Where in my post did you read that I said ALL Latinos would be welcoming? I don't think I said that. As in other racial/ethnic groups, you have those Latinos who will be distrustful of someone they consider an "outsider." As for having been subjected to prejudice, all I can say is welcome to my world.

Where in San Antonio does a hispanic face prejudice? I've never seen it. This city caters to hispanics in every aspect. Sorry but I call shenanigans on you. In some small town in Alabama you might face problems for being hispanic, but in this city, well it's YOUR city and you know it. There's a reason why neighborhoods go from having a little of everyone in them to mostly (if not entirely) hispanic, and it's called displacement. That wouldn't be happening if every hispanic was as friendly as you say.



And I was never obnoxious or a trouble-maker. I never got into trouble at all, but others never minded bringing it to me anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Stone Oak
320 posts, read 933,375 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
Not true. I grew up in a primarily-hispanic neighborhood, and got called "gringo" (among other things) more times than I could count (you know very well it's not intended as a compliment and is intended as a derogatory remark against my skin color). I also got treated like an outsider by most hispanic kids even though I did have quite a few hispanic friends. Going to school sucked because I was always singled out by other kids raising the "gringo" factor.

Not all hispanics are like that, but to say that hispanics don't single out and treat non-hispanics differently isn't true at all. I've seen it repeatedly pretty much my whole life.


"Gringo" is a term that is part of or was a part of the vernacular of working-class or uneducated Hispanics. I was witness to its use growing up in a barrio back in the '70s. Its not unlike an African-American or Hispanic person in a predominantly poor and Caucasian, often ungraciously called "hick", town being singled out and called derogatory names.

There was a time when it was more acceptable for middle-class or professional Caucasian people to openly say such racial remarks without fear of recrimination. I'm sure every one still has a grandpa or great-aunt who from time to time says such flagrant remarks that you just roll your eyes at.
Times have changed or are changing and educated parents of all races now raise their kids with a bit more decorum so its unlikely that these kids single out others who are not like them. I am not familiar with all sides of San Antonio, but have witnessed this kind of acceptance and racial intermingling in the North side of SA more than in other cities. There is a private Catholic school over here near Stone Oak that has a large percentage of Hispanic kids and as far as I know the Caucasian kids are quite happy there. The school my daughter attends is predominatly Caucasian and I have yet to hear of racial issues springing up.

So to the original poster, I would venture to say that the degree of acceptance of your family not only depends on how you treat others, as others here have said, but on the socio-economic status of Hispanics in your neighborhood. I am not familiar with that particular side of town to make generalizations about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top