Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:00 PM

658 posts, read 721,005 times

Advertisements

I have been honked over and over when I slow down or even *gasp* stop to allow a pedestrian to cross the street or walk across a driveway or you know, exist at all. Just today it happened again. If I'm in front of you, you don't get to decide when I turn or how fast I go. I'm not going to run over a pedestrian just because you are sociopathic and sadistic.

I've never had this happen to me anywhere but San Antonio. It may happen elsewhere but it feels like it's getting worse here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 11:00 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,007,182 times
Maybe they cant see the pedestrian in front of you and just see you stopping suddenly?

Old 10-28-2018, 02:40 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,117,747 times
Turn that on its head and I noticed almost immediately after moving to Texas that Texans don’t understand the usage of crosswalks. And they have remarkable trust in people stopping if they just all of a sudden cross in front of you despite having a cross walk a few yards down. It’s like how about using the crosswalk buddy. Texan pedestrians are idiots and will cross the street just anywhere. Hence the daily reports of someone getting hit and killed crossing some frontage rd or some busy road because the pedestrian couldn’t be bothered to walk a few extra feet to a cross walk.

But the majority of TX drivers will stop on a dime or just instinctively know that the idiot at the HEB parking lot is likely to dash right in front of you despite not being in a cross walk. In this scenario if I were behind you and I honked, it might be intended for the dumb pedestrian. Like use an effing crosswalk. Try something like that in NJ and the drivers will accelerate to mow you down because they’re in the clear because of you not being in a cross walk.

So maybe the honk really isn’t intended for you is what I’m trying to say.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:02 AM

814 posts, read 675,165 times
Let 'em honk. You are in front.

A 'punishment' honk is minor annoyance, it's the folks that back out of their driveway while I'm right there in front of them driving down the road that's gets me swerving and honking.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:23 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,998,131 times
Sounds more like you are stopping to let people go. That is dangerous. When people do that to me when I am walking I just look at them like they are idiots.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,683,282 times
Wee they in a crosswalk?

Old 10-28-2018, 03:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,090,603 times
If the pedestrians are in a marked crosswalk, the Texas Transportation Code says they have the right of way. Ignore the people who want you to violate the law.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:57 PM

61,623 posts, read 86,956,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I have been honked over and over when I slow down or even *gasp* stop to allow a pedestrian to cross the street or walk across a driveway or you know, exist at all. Just today it happened again. If I'm in front of you, you don't get to decide when I turn or how fast I go. I'm not going to run over a pedestrian just because you are sociopathic and sadistic.

I've never had this happen to me anywhere but San Antonio. It may happen elsewhere but it feels like it's getting worse here.
Just keep doing what you're doing. You don't want to injure or kill anyone just because that person was not obeying traffic laws.
However you get around - behind the wheel, on a bike, or on foot - you have a responsibility to share the road so we can all safely get to where we’re going. While no one - no driver, bicyclist, or pedestrian - has sole rights to the road, lots of pedestrians and bicyclists don't observe traffic regulations. Pedestrians are often jaywalking, bicyclists don't obey street signs, signals, and road markings.
Our roads are not build to share, and often there are not enough crosswalks and sidewalks. Pedestrians often have no choice but to cross the street where is no secure crosswalk. Bikers have no separate, safe bike paths. Drivers often don't pay attention to anyone but themselves.
Drivers tend to forget that at all times pedestrians crossing intersections have the right-of-way over vehicles making turns onto roads being crossed by pedestrians.

Last edited by elnina; 10-28-2018 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 04:08 PM

61,623 posts, read 86,956,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Sounds more like you are stopping to let people go. That is dangerous. When people do that to me when I am walking I just look at them like they are idiots.
Huh? So, when you are crossing a road or driveway and a car stops to let you go, you look at the driver like he is an idiot?
Do you prefer that they just roll over you or other pedestrians?
Drivers get driver's education and learn about traffic laws, and lot of them still not always obey the laws.
Pedestrians or bicyclists don't, and many lack common sense - does that mean they should be hit or killed if they dare to cross your driving path?

Old 10-28-2018, 06:26 PM

927 posts, read 1,389,550 times
Jaywalkers take advantage of the kindness of strangers. When someone is too lazy or too stupid to walk the few extra yards to the nearest crosswalk but instead choose to jaywalk they deserve what is coming to them. I wouldn't commit the act myself but if a moronic jaywalker got struck by a car in this town I would not feel sad. In fact I would say they had it coming. There is no legitimate reason for someone to jaywalk in this town or anywhere else. It is just a ridiculous choice for a pedestrian to make. It is completely avoidable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio