Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:25 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times

Advertisements

[quote=alamocitygirl;3649161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradyFan View Post
Honor them? For what? Simply being born here? Come on, what have those two ever done for San Antonio? Exactly, nothing.

My question for you is what has Lon Chaney, Cary Grant, Charlie Chan, Dan Suryea, Gomer Pyle, John Chapman, Danny Kaye, Bogart, Gary Cooper, Alan Hale, and Jackie Geason done for San Antonio? You'll find streets with their names just north of the Bandera Rd and Wurzbach intersection. I don't know if any of them were even born here or ever lived here. How about the fact that Carol Burnett and Joan Crawford were two of the greatest, most beloved entertainers of all time, regardless of what you think. Inspite of her unhappy childhood, Carol Burnett brought many joyous hours to many of us who lived similar childhoods. She rose from the West side of San Antonio to Hollywood! There is probably about a handful of people world wide who can't tell you who Carol Burnett and Joan Crawford were. In spite of what you think, I'm sure that Ms Burnett would be honored to know that San Antonians thought as much of her, just as Ms Crawford would have been.
I think that's just the general "theme" of that particular neighborhood.

I'll agree that Carol Burnett at least is/was a great entertainer, but I really don't know much about Joan Crawford other than what turned out to be a mostly fictional account of her life in "Mommie Dearest." I'd vote for having streets named for them. I mean, Carol Burnett Drive is much easier to say for all the newbies moving in than Nacogdoches or Perrin-Beitel or Days of Allah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 12:59 AM

39 posts, read 39,117 times
[quote=alamocitygirl;3649161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradyFan View Post
Honor them? For what? Simply being born here? Come on, what have those two ever done for San Antonio? Exactly, nothing.

My question for you is what has Lon Chaney, Cary Grant, Charlie Chan, Dan Suryea, Gomer Pyle, John Chapman, Danny Kaye, Bogart, Gary Cooper, Alan Hale, and Jackie Geason done for San Antonio? You'll find streets with their names just north of the Bandera Rd and Wurzbach intersection. I don't know if any of them were even born here or ever lived here. How about the fact that Carol Burnett and Joan Crawford were two of the greatest, most beloved entertainers of all time, regardless of what you think. Inspite of her unhappy childhood, Carol Burnett brought many joyous hours to many of us who lived similar childhoods. She rose from the West side of San Antonio to Hollywood! There is probably about a handful of people world wide who can't tell you who Carol Burnett and Joan Crawford were. In spite of what you think, I'm sure that Ms Burnett would be honored to know that San Antonians thought as much of her, just as Ms Crawford would have been.
That seems to be an overall theme, old Hollywood. Like having all streets in a subdivision have the subdivisions name in it. There's a street named after Chevy Chase somewhere in San Antonio. Honestly, I seriously doubt it's an honor having a neighborhood street named after you.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:05 AM

79 posts, read 318,144 times
Maybe San Antonio could do something similar to San Francisco, which has named "alleys" for famous authors and artists that lived and/or worked in the city. Individuals such as Jack Kerouac, Bob Kaufman, Dashiell Hammett and William Saroyan to name a few.

I think it would be a fun thing for tourists to do downtown. To make it unique to SA the pedestrian bridges over the riverwalk could be named for these individuals (there is already one named for Rosita Fernandez a good start). If SA went with famous actors/entertainers the list could (and this is off the top of my head) include:

Joan Crawford, Carol Burnett, Tommy Lee Jones, George Straight, Henry Thomas, Eva Longoria-Parker, Peter Weller, Jackie Earle Haley, John Schneider, Ricardo Chavira, Thomas Gibson and Robert Rodriguez

Old 05-04-2008, 12:35 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
[quote=smitty12;3649273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamocitygirl View Post

I doubt Gomer Pyle or Charlie Chan did anything, they are fictional characters.... Bandera Rd and Wurzbach is Leon Vally not San Antonio I think... Maybe the Leon Valleites adopted them
In the San Diego Airport, along the inner wall facing the gates, they have posters of all the great sports figures from San Diego history. Some where not born there, but played there for a few years (and found greatness elsewhere) and some were born there (and found greatness elsewhere) and some where not born there (but found greatness there). There is no reason we should not honor JC and CB (and Henry Thompson and Tommy lee Jones) here.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 AM

361 posts, read 924,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebrg View Post
Maybe San Antonio could do something similar to San Francisco, which has named "alleys" for famous authors and artists that lived and/or worked in the city. Individuals such as Jack Kerouac, Bob Kaufman, Dashiell Hammett and William Saroyan to name a few.

I think it would be a fun thing for tourists to do downtown. To make it unique to SA the pedestrian bridges over the riverwalk could be named for these individuals (there is already one named for Rosita Fernandez a good start). If SA went with famous actors/entertainers the list could (and this is off the top of my head) include:

Joan Crawford, Carol Burnett, Tommy Lee Jones, George Straight, Henry Thomas, Eva Longoria-Parker, Peter Weller, Jackie Earle Haley, John Schneider, Ricardo Chavira, Thomas Gibson and Robert Rodriguez

........and Summer Glau. She played "River Tam" in the show Firefly and recently played the terminator in the Terminator: the Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:19 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
How true. Christina Crawford was a spoiled little turd and was even outed as a liar by her own siblings regarding her tortured feelings for her mother. It was basically all a ploy to sell books (and a fantastic camp-turn by Faye Dunaway in the film version).

BN
Really? Now I never heard or read that...
Do you have a link? Cause I'd be pleased to read something that exonerates Joan in some way......

Old 05-04-2008, 04:20 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
I guess we can petition city hall for Joan Crawford Blvd

Old 05-04-2008, 11:26 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
........and Summer Glau. She played "River Tam" in the show Firefly and recently played the terminator in the Terminator: the Sarah Conner Chronicles.
Wow, huge fan of the new Terminator show, and I didn't know she was from here.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:50 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
They could rename the infamous Cherry Street to Joan Crawford Blvd

Old 05-10-2008, 11:28 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
There is a Burnet Street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio