Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:16 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,728,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
An obvious gap between the home and the garage that had a fabric expansion joint.
I have seen these type of fabric exansion joints used underneath tile after a slab crack was repaired to stabilize the flooring and seal the gap - but never an expansion joint between pours. Very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,397 times
I have a royal sovereign in my 2-car garage here in Texas and it works wounderful.Ten thousand BTU you can't beat it. Right now, I'm using the heater; come summer I'll switch to the a/c. GREAT!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,714,961 times
I didn't see where there was any discussion on the ductless split unit type ac/heat pump where the outside unit is about the size of a piece of luggage and only about a 2 inch hole is needed to run the piping to the inside unit. Quiet operation...somewhat expensive
Ductless Split Systems Overview :: Friedrich Air Conditioning

Installed one of these in a small 20x30 building and it worked great...

Last edited by RGJ; 01-24-2010 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-24-2010, 05:33 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,591,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I didn't see where there was any discussion on the ductless split unit type ac/heat pump where the outside unit is about the size of a piece of luggage and only about a 2 inch hole is needed to run the piping to the inside unit. Quiet operation...somewhat expensive
Ductless Split Systems Overview :: Friedrich Air Conditioning

Installed one of these in a small 20x30 building and it worked great...
Friedrich used to be the finest window a/c's money could buy. They were never known for their venture into central a/c. I doubt anything with their name is still made here. Is their plant even open here still?? Quality of their window units dropped over past 30 years. I'm sure a much sharper drop in quality later years. You paid big bucks over the price of a regular A/C. Why??
A window unit can be slid out of it's case and cleaned or serviced easily. The thru the wall unit is a PIA I'm sure to maintain. Unless they are using some new fangled quick connectors that don't leak. But, I just don't see any advantage. I saw an early attempt at this style unit by Sears or Whirlpool/Coldspot many years ago. I'd avoid these units. Wish you luck with yours though.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 PM

4,305 posts, read 7,183,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Friedrich used to be the finest window a/c's money could buy. They were never known for their venture into central a/c. I doubt anything with their name is still made here. Is their plant even open here still??
I'm pretty sure Friedrich phased out the last of their U.S. based widow A/C manufacturing a couple of years ago. Their headquarters is still located here in San Antonio, though.

I recall it was reported in the media at the time the local plant's closure was announced that Friedrich was the last remaining manufacturer of window A/C units that was still making the products in a U.S. plant. I think production was moved to Mexico.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:12 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,591,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I'm pretty sure Friedrich phased out the last of their U.S. based widow A/C manufacturing a couple of years ago. Their headquarters is still located here in San Antonio, though.

I recall it was reported in the media at the time the local plant's closure was announced that Friedrich was the last remaining manufacturer of window A/C units that was still making the products in a U.S. plant. I think production was moved to Mexico.
Pity! Ed Friedrich made ammo boxes for the U.S. Army during WWII. Even made heavy ornate wood pool tables at some point. I saw a really nice one along with a fancy coffee table at his sister Olla's home in Terrill Hills. The family has now reclaimed the Buckhorn Saloon "Hall of Horns" collection. It's a shame the U.S will lose it's ability to manufacture anything before long. Thanks for the post. I haven't kept up with them. I first saw this type A/C advertised on TV by another manufacturer. Window A/C'S are much cheaper now but not worth squat. Sad!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,714,961 times
Actually, I've had the split unit for about three years now with no problems. It probably wasn't made by Friedrich, but it's working fine. I mentioned it only because of some HOA restrictions about window units. The outside unit of the split ductless unit can be placed almost anywhere and hidden pretty well. And it's really quiet on the inside. But you're right about the cost. It cost almost three times what a window unit cost, but I think they are more energy efficient, but I'm not really sure about that. And some people were mentioning about having brick walls which make the split unit work since it only requires about a 2-3" hole for the piping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio