Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:01 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,585,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
[Mod cut: rude]

The sometimes aggressive mentality challenged/homeless/arsehole (Not equating so put the online pitch forks away) are at Blanco/1604, three sides of Culebra/1604, De Zavala, Stone Oak/1604, and anywhere on Bandera. Love that SAPD picks them up and takes them DT, but I don’t know the Haven policy.

San Antonio needs to be very careful in balancing tourism and homelessness. Went to Austin recently and it was crap show and just gross with the side effects.

The the poster I quoted... this comes from someone that has a homeless uncle and brother with a drug problem that moved into homelessness. You sound like someone who does not practice what you preach in your interactions. Trying to bring these people back has been everlasting but futile so far...
Stopped reading after that. One of my closest friends currently works at Haven and the network of services provided is large. It's not large enough to accomodate the needs of the whole homeless population. However, I don't think there is one single metro in the US that has the capacity to meet the needs of all homeless people. Austin is trying and I have heard several NPR stories about places like Los Angeles and Boston attempting to solve their homeless issues. Working together, as the partner agencies within Haven for Hope (Center for Healthcare Services, Salvation Army, the city and county, physical health providers, etc) is a start, but until there is a magical pot of money to support every single mental health, addiction, financial, educational and any other number of things, homelessness will be an issues.

Last edited by elnina; 01-03-2019 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 PM

1,022 posts, read 857,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
[Mod cut: rude]

The sometimes aggressive mentality challenged/homeless/arsehole (Not equating so put the online pitch forks away) are at Blanco/1604, three sides of Culebra/1604, De Zavala, Stone Oak/1604, and anywhere on Bandera. Love that SAPD picks them up and takes them DT, but I don’t know the Haven policy.

San Antonio needs to be very careful in balancing tourism and homelessness. Went to Austin recently and it was crap show and just gross with the side effects.

The the poster I quoted... this comes from someone that has a homeless uncle and brother with a drug problem that moved into homelessness. You sound like someone who does not practice what you preach in your interactions. Trying to bring these people back has been everlasting but futile so far...

Bottom line: Do you know anyone who's been at HFH? You skirted that one in your reply.

We're talking about HFH, not general homelessness. Stay on topic. Debate specifically, not generally in a flailing attempt to justify.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:14 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
"They" is Haven for Hope that gives them (the homeless in case you don't know who "them" is) bus tickets which they (the homeless, again in case you don't know who this "they" are) use to venture out to the busy intersections in the suburbs to panhandle where yes, the suburbanites are to blame for everything.
As someone already pointed out, they have free will to go anywhere with that bus fare. Seems like they choose to go where the money is, just saying.....

Old 01-04-2019, 10:49 AM

6,478 posts, read 7,433,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Are you near haven for hope at all? The purpose of H4H is to centralize homeless services. It’s near the jail but not close to the touristy part of the river. I haven’t been downtown recently, though.
No, I am talking about within the downtown loop. They weren't lined up all together like they do over by the Haven For Hope Place or by the jail, but the rainy day just made it easier to spot them all throughout the city benches here and there.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:55 PM

812 posts, read 666,063 times
I remember 20+ years ago: No homeless in SA. Tourism and conventions ruled the day. The police had a policy of picking them up and taking them to the city limits.

Then the courts made them stop.

I remember as Kelly AFB closed down there was a local lawyer who slowed things (couple years) by finding interesting Federal laws about property disposition. His plan was to convert the hangars to sheds for sleeping shacks and put a bus station nearby so they could be taken to their "work" (street life/begging).

Old 01-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
No, I am talking about within the downtown loop. They weren't lined up all together like they do over by the Haven For Hope Place or by the jail, but the rainy day just made it easier to spot them all throughout the city benches here and there.
Well maybe that's why they were more noticeable. When I am in town I go to a church that serves the homeless population (and still maintain contact with members in the 3 and a half years I have been gone) and I don't think they would say there has been a huge jump in the number of homeless people they serve. Homelessness has changed its face from a single white guy with mental health issues to married couples with kids who lost their jobs and housing, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
I remember 20+ years ago: No homeless in SA. Tourism and conventions ruled the day. The police had a policy of picking them up and taking them to the city limits.
If you're thinking closer to the plus then 200 years ago then maybe, but as De Zavala started to develop homeless people started showing up. I lived in the area from 1988-2015 and from maybe 1996-onward there were homeless people around. Maybe not as many as there are within the last 10ish years, but lots.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:50 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,299,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
Bottom line: Do you know anyone who's been at HFH? You skirted that one in your reply.

We're talking about HFH, not general homelessness. Stay on topic. Debate specifically, not generally in a flailing attempt to justify.
My brother.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:23 PM

812 posts, read 666,063 times
Quote:

If you're thinking closer to the plus then 200 years ago then maybe, but as De Zavala started to develop homeless people started showing up. I lived in the area from 1988-2015 and from maybe 1996-onward there were homeless people around. Maybe not as many as there are within the last 10ish years, but lots.
20 years ago SA essentially stopped at the 410 loop, certainly did for tourists and convention folks.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
20 years ago SA essentially stopped at the 410 loop, certainly did for tourists and convention folks.
Not really. Wurzbach/10 was a thing in ‘88. We moved to the woods if shavano then and we did all our shopping there. That’s outside 410. The taco cabana on de zavala opened in ‘96 along with target and H-E-B. That’s when it all started.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:46 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,168,462 times
Quote:
Quote:
Not really. Wurzbach/10 was a thing in ‘88. We moved to the woods if shavano then and we did all our shopping there. That’s outside 410. The taco cabana on de zavala opened in ‘96 along with target and H-E-B. That’s when it all started.
20 years ago, SA essentially stopped at the 1604 Loop, I would say. Development outside 410 on the north side got started around 1960, and progressively crept further toward 1604 through the years, along with annexation. As ashbeeigh notes, Wurzbach & IH10 was hot in the 1980s, and the Woods of Shavano neighborhood she mentions, which is a little further out off De Zavala, was substantially built-out in the 1970s.

Sea World, which is just inside 1604 on the west side, opened in 1988. Hyatt Hill Country Resort followed around 1992, as did Fiesta Texas (which is actually outside 1604). Prior to the establishment of those attractions, most of the tourist attractions were concentrated in the downtown area, like the Riverwalk, Alamo, King William, etc., as well as the convention business. Probably the only other significant tourist attractions would have been the missions on the south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio