U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:55 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,794,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
hey wow, a panhandler thread. I bet someone could've found this by using the search function....
INCONCEIVABLE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 03:44 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,351,122 times
Okay, I have mixed feelings about this topic, because I know for certain, in this economy there are those who may have been self supporting through their own contributons (via paid employment), for the majority of their lives, only to find themselves out of steady income, without any type of health, dental, vision insurance and with a steady stream of 'no thank you's' after the steady stream of job interviews...
I am ONE OF THEM!!!!
You just may see me on one of these corners when my savings run out.... my contract work is sporadic, and bad news came from TWO of my contracts today...... Actually, I have no idea what I will do when this money runs out....

But, I'll tell you the ones that reeeeeaaaaaalllly **** me off...

the ones with pets......

Listen up Bucko... if you can't feed yourself, you have NO DAMN BUSINESS OWING A DOG OR ANY OTHER KIND OF PET!!!! And dogs' foot pads don't do too well on the blazing hot concrete either...... When I watch them hike out into the middle of a busy street, dog on a leash or obediently following behind , I just want to smack 'em!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:59 PM

4,081 posts, read 6,085,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Okay, I have mixed feelings about this topic, because I know for certain, in this economy there are those who may have been self supporting through their own contributons (via paid employment), for the majority of their lives, only to find themselves out of steady income, without any type of health, dental, vision insurance and with a steady stream of 'no thank you's' after the steady stream of job interviews...
I am ONE OF THEM!!!!
You just may see me on one of these corners when my savings run out.... my contract work is sporadic, and bad news came from TWO of my contracts today...... Actually, I have no idea what I will do when this money runs out....

But, I'll tell you the ones that reeeeeaaaaaalllly **** me off...

the ones with pets......

Listen up Bucko... if you can't feed yourself, you have NO DAMN BUSINESS OWING A DOG OR ANY OTHER KIND OF PET!!!! And dogs' foot pads don't do too well on the blazing hot concrete either...... When I watch them hike out into the middle of a busy street, dog on a leash or obediently following behind , I just want to smack 'em!!!!!!
At least a couple of times anyway....I go beserk when I see animal cruelty.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:50 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,161,678 times
I don't get out to 1604 very often, but I noticed this morning that signs have been posted at Nacogdoches & 1604 that stating "No Loitering. No Soliciting Without Permit". It references the City Ordinance # that applies.

Ironically, a group of kids were out there at that intersection with handwritten signs stating they were from Judson High School raising funds for I believe a track meet. On my way out there earlier in the morning, I was approaced by a lone woman in street clothes in the traffic lane while stopped at the light at Nacogdoches & O'Connor. She was soliciting donations for her daughter to participate in a track meet (didn't say where). She didn't display any credentials, nor offer any pamphlets or flyers, so I declined.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:54 PM

314 posts, read 722,216 times
They were at 1604 and Potranco selling BBQ plates last week, while I hesitate to buy BBQ from the side of the road at least they were trying to earn it...

I think parents/coaches are sending a poor message when they have there kids out begging, what ever happened to car washes and bake sales?

Old 07-20-2008, 12:36 AM

4,081 posts, read 6,085,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFMike View Post
They were at 1604 and Potranco selling BBQ plates last week, while I hesitate to buy BBQ from the side of the road at least they were trying to earn it...

I think parents/coaches are sending a poor message when they have there kids out begging, what ever happened to car washes and bake sales?
There's a car wash about every three weeks at the CVS at Potranco & Ellison.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:57 PM

504 posts, read 1,303,315 times
deal with them like we do in the southside. call the cops on them until they get the picture.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:22 PM

22 posts, read 27,212 times
Screw the panhandlers and the people selling puppies on the side of the road...there are programs available for the panhandlers. If you want to give, walk into a restaurant up by Rittiman Road or on the South Side and if you see a bum sitting there, buy him a cup of coffee if you're feeling guilty, but don't give him/her money to feed their addiction(s). If you feel like donating, give money or work at the foodbank or animal shelter.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 PM

22 posts, read 27,212 times
Oh, and as a Safety Guy, what parent in their right mind would put children on a BUSY street corner where the speed limit is 55 to beg for change? That, my friends, is child neglect in my opinion. Sin

Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 AM

24 posts, read 45,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesinatra View Post
If you want to give, walk into a restaurant up by Rittiman Road or on the South Side and if you see a bum sitting there, buy him a cup of coffee if you're feeling guilty, but don't give him/her money to feed their addiction(s). If you feel like donating, give money or work at the foodbank or animal shelter.
I totally agree, dont give thm money, go buy them a sandwich or a value meal (that's what they want the money for right). I'm not trying to be some hot head person that just dont want to give up a few bucks or some change, trust me I was in their shoes I was homeless once not for long but it happened after that I started going out on Saturdays with premade sandwiches me and my dad made at home and give them out. Maybe this is what we should start doing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio