U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,177,198 times

Advertisements

There have been pan handlers at the corner of I-10 and Wurzbach for 30 years. For about the past 5 years, they have been literally living in the HEB at that corner. They eat sushi, samples from the live kitchen, and the rest of the samples stations. Then they sit in the Pharmacy and watch TV all day when it is cold outside. I could guarantee you 100% that anytime you went into that HEB, no matter what time...you would see the same 3 homeless people in the store.
I complained to the management after they bum refused to get up from their seats for my eldery neighbor in the pharmacy..and HEB did nothing and gave me this speech about that drug addicts/winos/homeless people are paying customers. It was interesting that the store management knew all the homeless people living in the store by name, as if they were pets. The problem finally subsided after they moved the demostration kitchen to DeZavala...but I still see a few of the same handlers in that HEB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
And, in San Antonio, it is against the law...

Quote:
Sec. 19-8. Soliciting from occupants of vehicles prohibited; causing a child to solicit from occupants of vehicles prohibited; penalty.

(a) It shall be unlawful for a person to stand on a traffic median, shoulder, improved shoulder or sidewalk and solicit, or attempt to solicit, employment, business or charitable contributions from the occupants of any vehicle on a roadway.
(b) It shall be unlawful for a person to knowingly cause a child ten (10) years of age or younger to stand on a traffic median, shoulder, improved shoulder or sidewalk and solicit, or attempt to solicit, employment, business or charitable contributions from the occupants of any vehicle on a roadway.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term "cause" shall mean aid, direct, hire, encourage, permit, or allow.
(d) Violation of any portion of this section constitutes a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed two hundred dollars ($200.00).
(e) Notwithstanding the other provisions of section 19-8 or any other provision in the City Code, a person seventeen (17) years of age or older may solicit employment, business or charitable contributions while standing on a traffic median, shoulder, improved shoulder, sidewalk, or the improved portion of the roadway from occupants of any vehicle on a roadway provided said person wears a florescent orange visibility vest, does not impede traffic, enters or remains in a roadway only while the controlling traffic signal prohibits vehicle movement, and has obtained a permit to do so, or who is a member of an organization which has obtained a permit to do so, from the chief of police.
(f) Permits may be issued to no person or organization more than once per calendar year for a period of no more than two (2) consecutive days, which days must fall within fifteen (15) days prior to a nationally-recognized holiday, and for no hours other than those between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and one (1) hour before sunset.
(g) The chief of police shall issue a solicitation permit upon application provided said application states the name and address of the person or organization for whom solicitations are made, the names and addresses of the persons soliciting, the locations at which soliciting will take place, and the times during which the soliciting will take place.
(h) Permit applications must be accompanied by a fee of two hundred dollars ($200.00) and a certificate of insurance signed by an agent authorized to bind coverage indicating that the applicant has obtained, at his sole expense, insurance coverage (1) that is written by an insurance company with an A- or better rating by AM Best and that is admitted and licensed to do business in the State of Texas; (2) that is in full force and effect for the duration of the permit period; (3) that provides one million dollars ($1,000,000.00) of liability coverage per occurrence with no deductible; (4) that insures the applicant and all persons who will be soliciting; (5) that names the City of San Antonio, its officers, employees, and elected representatives as an additional insureds; (6) that provides that any insurance or self-insurance maintained by the city shall apply in excess of and not contribute with it; (7) that is written on an occurrence basis; and (8) that is otherwise acceptable to, and approved by, the risk manager of the City of San Antonio.
(i) Notwithstanding the other provisions of 19-8, 16-227, 16-240 or any other provision of the City Code, a person sixteen (16) years of age or older may solicit the sale of newspapers to occupants of motor vehicles from sidewalks, walkways, raised medians, islands and other off-roadway surfaces and may deliver the newspaper to any such occupant who responds to the solicitation in order to complete the sales transaction so long as doing so does not impede traffic flow and provided that such person wears a fluorescent orange visibility vest. The owner and publisher of the newspaper will be responsible for periodically monitoring the activity of any such solicitor under the age of eighteen (18), such monitoring to be done by an agent or employee of the newspaper who is at least twenty-one (21) years of age. Any solicitor under the age of eighteen (18) must have the consent of a parent or adult having custody of the child.
(j) The owner and publisher of any newspaper distributed pursuant to subsection (i) shall maintain at its sole expense insurance coverage:
(1) That is written by an insurance company with an A- or better rating by AM Best and that is submitted and licensed to do business in the state;
(2) That is in full force and effect at any time sales and distribution are being conducted pursuant to subsection (i);
(3) That provides one million dollars ($1,000,000.00) of liability coverage per occurrence;
(4) That insures the newspaper and all persons who will be selling and distributing on its behalf;
(5) That names the city, its officers, employees and elected representatives as additional insures;
(6) That provides that any insurance or self-insurance maintained by the city shall apply in excess of and not contribute with it; and
(7) That is written on an occurrence basis.
The owner and publisher shall file and keep current a certificate of insurance signed by an agent authorized to bind coverage indicating that the owner and publisher has obtained the aforementioned insurance coverage, with the chief of police.
(Ord. No. 71696, 1--5, 6-7-90; Ord. No. 82745, 1, 8-31-95; Ord. No. 100823, 1, 5-5-05)
Cross references: Peddlers, hawkers, canvassers, and solicitors, 16-226 et seq.

(Source)

I have seen the SAPD tell the panhandlers to leave (usually via their police car PA system); but the cops need to stop and investigate to determine if the individual is truly in need of help. If they are, they need to be taken to social services where they will get food and shelter. If not, then they are soliciting and should be arrested. Yes, that may sound harsh but what they are doing is illegal and dangerous. I hate being in our open Jeep when one of these panhandlers walks up, especially when my 10-yr-old son is in the passenger seat. I will be honest and tell you I get prepared to "engage" them if they get too close after I wave them off, and I think most of you know what I mean when I say "engage." You never know what the person may attempt to do, and what kind of weapon they may have. I will not take the chance...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,607,444 times
Majormadmax,

I don't blame you (re: your son). You just never know these days...

--Dim

Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,728,037 times
M2, thanks for looking that info up...

Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,308,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
M2, thanks for looking that info up...
Yes, thank you. I tried to rep you but I couldn't.
I think we should all print it out and hand it to them. They will come running up to collect their "earnings" and then give them this

Old 04-08-2008, 11:05 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,553 times
yes, and they know it is illegal...i have seen many times where they have their little cardboard sign out and they are asking for work, food, money and then they see a cop car and *poof* the sign gets folded in half and put in their pants or jacket and they turn around act like they are just out taking a stroll enjoying the day...

my husband has been in uniform, off duty and will lower his car window and they skedaddle real quick to avoid the law ---

dh says that, in his opinion, most of the panhandlers at these intersections are doing it for a job --- the real homeless people, in true need, are downtown --- he sees them everynight when he works down there --- the same faces, the same people --- he has heard all their stories and how they came to be in their situation --- he has seen them crying and listened to them when they just needed to talk ...

during winter dh has often asked me for coats or blankets or jackets that we no longer use and has taken them to some of the homeless downtown and he said the look on their face is true and sincere --- they are very grateful for the gift --- sometimes dh will buy an extra soda or bag of chips for some of them or maybe a cheap pack of cigs --- again, they are truly grateful for this...dh has never had one of them turn it down or disregard it ---

i'm not saying that all those that are at intersections of 1604/bandera/culebra/potranco are scammers, but dh seems to think that the ones that are truly in need would find their way downtown, with closer access to free shelter and free food --- where they can get a hot meal a day ---

just thought i would offer dh's take on this conversation...

Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
yes, and they know it is illegal...i have seen many times where they have their little cardboard sign out and they are asking for work, food, money and then they see a cop car and *poof* the sign gets folded in half and put in their pants or jacket and they turn around act like they are just out taking a stroll enjoying the day...

my husband has been in uniform, off duty and will lower his car window and they skedaddle real quick to avoid the law ---

dh says that, in his opinion, most of the panhandlers at these intersections are doing it for a job --- the real homeless people, in true need, are downtown --- he sees them everynight when he works down there --- the same faces, the same people --- he has heard all their stories and how they came to be in their situation --- he has seen them crying and listened to them when they just needed to talk ...

during winter dh has often asked me for coats or blankets or jackets that we no longer use and has taken them to some of the homeless downtown and he said the look on their face is true and sincere --- they are very grateful for the gift --- sometimes dh will buy an extra soda or bag of chips for some of them or maybe a cheap pack of cigs --- again, they are truly grateful for this...dh has never had one of them turn it down or disregard it ---

i'm not saying that all those that are at intersections of 1604/bandera/culebra/potranco are scammers, but dh seems to think that the ones that are truly in need would find their way downtown, with closer access to free shelter and free food --- where they can get a hot meal a day ---

just thought i would offer dh's take on this conversation...
Tell your DH that we say thanks to both of you for this!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 PM

337 posts, read 1,286,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
i just saw panhandlers at bandera/1604 a few days ago ---

you know, my husband and i actually saw a couple with a toddler in a stroller with a sign saying they were hungry ... so dh and i went to wendy's and got a few .99 burgers and fries and some drinks and took it to them --- do you know that they turned it down and asked for the money it cost us instead??? --- i was in shock, didn't know what to say --- i was truly speechless --- i told them to at least take it for the toddler --- they said no thanks and walked away from the car ---

that was very disheartening and it was the last time i ever tried to "help" people who asked for money on the side of the road ---

A while back (before I decided to boycott Walmart) I was in the parking lot of my local Wmart and I was approached by a woman asking for "help"...she seemed to just be walking the parking lot looking for people to approach. I was on my way in to the store and she came up and asked if I had "anything to help her...all alone....stranded...etc." I quickly told her that I do not carry cash on me to which she snapped,"Well, it didn't have to be money!" I was a little aggrevated with her.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:24 PM

There's a lot of this around the Lackland area - lots of families to target. It's unfortunate. There are some people that have no problems taking advantage of others' big hearts for their own gain.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,291,155 times
I definitely don't like the parking lot people, especially the ones trying to sell you on some religion. Some times they sneek up on you and I'm surprised I haven't hit one yet. I definitely do not like people coming up to me that I do not know and sneeking up on me is never a good idea.. I'm also one of those people that you have to back up from if you wake me up. My son learned that the hard way one day and luckily he backed up quick before I could get my hands on him.. He said he was impressed by how quickly I went from asleep to reaching for his throat though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio