U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 PM

31 posts, read 67,904 times

Advertisements

About a year ago I was walking from the parking lot into the HEB at 1604 & Bandera, a women of mideastern descent drove up to me in a shiny late model escalade and said her husband had just left her and she had no money to feed her or her 2 kids. Seeing the 2 kids strapped into their car seats and being a new father myself, I opened my wallet gave her the only bill I had, a $20. I got home told my wife what happened, she stated, "you were taken"

I have seen panhandlers at 410 & McCullough get in nice cars before, but really believed this woman was sincere.

Fast forward to last month, same woman at the same location but in the Lowes parking lot hits me up again with the same story, with the same kids, but this time in a 10 yr old Ford piece of junk. I said s**t, what happened to your fancy car and walked off................my wife is still laughing about it.....

Rick:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 02:45 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,283,357 times
at least someone explained to her that an Escalade isn't exactly the ideal down on your luck vehicle... funny story

Old 04-09-2008, 02:51 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,606,269 times
Hmm..I can't help but wonder if she sold the Escalade or if perhaps it was repossessed. If she sold it and then bought the other vehicle, her situation may not have changed. I guess I'm too naive for my own good.

--Dim

Old 04-09-2008, 07:26 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,095,805 times
And I am sure that if you go to downtown Washington D.C. you will still be approached by some guy claiming he had his wallet stolen and needs gas money to get home. He will be willing to give you his driver's license in exchange for $50, which he will send you in return for the license.

I always ask how they still manage to have their license after their wallet was stolen, and never got a good answer. They are scam artists, just like the panhandlers that dot our city. I was downtown yesterday and saw some real homeless people under the IH-35 overpass. You can tell they are not the same people who beg for money at intersections. Instead of giving them anything, offer to call welfare services on your cell phone to come out and pick them up and take them to a shelter. If they are truly hungry and need a place to stay, that is a great solution; but I will bet you dollars to donuts they won't take you up on that offer!

Again, my main concern is if they get aggrevated and try something stupid when we are in the Jeep. As I suspect most are professional panhandlers, I doubt that will happen; but I stay prepared just in case.

2TTC 1TTH WPTA BWTTD!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,432,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Again, my main concern is if they get aggrevated and try something stupid when we are in the Jeep. As I suspect most are professional panhandlers, I doubt that will happen; but I stay prepared just in case.
For a few weeks there was an older guy at the 151/Potranco area. One day I saw him he was obviously upset about not getting anything and stood in the road between the two lanes sort of throwing a fit. He was blocking traffic and kept jumping out in front of cars. When DH came home about 45 minutes later he said there was an ambulance and police cars at the intersection. I told him what I had witnessed earlier and wouldn't have been surprised if it was this guy. I saw him a couple times after that a few weeks later, but haven't seen him recently.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
2TTC 1TTH WPTA BWTTD!
muahahahahaha

edit- for those that don't get it, google two to the chest one to the head...

Last edited by rd2007; 04-09-2008 at 08:06 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 08:23 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,725,896 times
In today's world I take no chances when it comes to my family's safety....and yes that means exactly what it says! NO chances!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM

definitely better to be safe than dead.. and contrary to what some people say, it does cut down on the amount of criminals..

Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,095,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
muahahahahaha

edit- for those that don't get it, google two to the chest one to the head...
OK, since the cat's out of the bag...

WPTA BWTTD! = We Prefer Them Alive, But Will Take Them Dead!

And before anyone's feathers get ruffled, I do not advocate, fantasize nor desire to shoot anyone. Heck, if anything, I hope I never find myself in the position to have to make that decision; but if I ever am, I will be prepared to use lethal force to protect my family, myself, and, if possible, any other innocent victim of a violent crime.

Cheers! M2

Old 04-10-2008, 06:55 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,305,691 times
Quote:
OK, since the cat's out of the bag...

WPTA BWTTD! = We Prefer Them Alive, But Will Take Them Dead!

And before anyone's feathers get ruffled, I do not advocate, fantasize nor desire to shoot anyone. Heck, if anything, I hope I never find myself in the position to have to make that decision; but if I ever am, I will be prepared to use lethal force to protect my family, myself, and, if possible, any other innocent victim of a violent crime.

Cheers! M2
I totally agree. My family's safety comes first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio