Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 02:46 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,233 times

Advertisements

The Strip's revitalization (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/The_Strips_revitalization.html - broken link)

I found this interesting and helps show just how gay-friendly this city is becoming. It is located off Main St. to the North of downtown near San Antonio College.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 03:15 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,486 times
Tobin Hill, the Strip, man, that area has so much potential to be a majorly happening area, not just for the gay community but everyone.

Also, why not a gay district called the Happy District or Happyland? No, not because gay = happy but because of Arthur Veltman, or better known as Happy to his friends, who was one San Antonio's first big time gay activists and started Bonham Exchange as well as many other things. I think naming a Gay district after him would be a great way to honor his memory.

Main Ave. could be a really happening corridor between downtown and Monte Vista/SAC

But I think infrastructure repairs and improvements need to be done.And thought they are planned they need to be put on the forefront. With Tobin Hill being made a historical district a year and half ago they need to plan a really cool logo/slogan and come up with a good marketing campaign.

P.S.

I thought St Mary's was known as The Strip?

Last edited by lemonfresh; 06-13-2009 at 03:24 AM..

Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 AM

7 posts, read 16,947 times
if you dont mind a short road trip austin is the place to visit...i think you will love it..

Old 06-13-2009, 07:46 AM

355 posts, read 1,374,894 times
those guys post on here. i wonder what they have to say.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:47 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,988 times
I vote for Hap. Ex-Bohnam employee here,have a fondness for Hap and all he did for the city.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,688 times
Thank goodness for these very positive changes. I applaud the men in the article who are behind much of this.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:04 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
Why a gay section. The rest of the town isn't good enough?

Old 06-13-2009, 03:16 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I sort of agree with Steve here, but perhaps not for the same reasoning...

In thinking along the neighborhood ideals of other major cities out there, you're seeing less and less 'ghettoization' of people. What it really means, for the better, is that the human race is more comfortable with each other and we feel less need to keep within our own 'type.'

What the SABJ is writing about is nothing new: San Antonio's gay scene, while mostly comprised of bars and adult video stores, is attempting a revival thanks to two enterprising guys. While I applaud them in the effort, the end-product leaves quite a lot to be desired.

Even if the trend of a 'gay'borhood is somewhat outdated, what SA needs for a successful one is group of investors (gay or not) that can open up day-and-night business, build from the ground-up and look to the future of what Main Street can actually be. Right now, the buildings are delapidated, the scene dismal and in many ways it feels Stonewall-era: Like we're hiding out in a windowless hole instead of being face-foward. The 'hood would definitely benefit from new construction, design-concious ideas and a quality, not quantity, frame of mind.

As a sidenote about Luthers, the building has been rehabbed beautifully, but their staff attitude leaves a LOT to be desired. I understand the want to hire a mostly gay or gay-friendly staff, but never at the expense of making sure they're well-trained, friendly and attitude-free. Consistency is what makes a business succcessful: It's been that consistent attitude at Luthers that keeps me from coming back.

BN

Old 06-13-2009, 03:42 PM

448 posts, read 918,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Moderator cut: off-topic Houston and Dallas have similar area/districts but in a much larger scale.

Last edited by Bo; 06-13-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 04:42 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,000,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
[mod]off topic[/mod[ Houston and Dallas have similar area/districts but in a much larger scale.
Moderator cut: orphaned

I'm with BN on this one as well. I personally don't think we need a "gay" or "black" or "white" side of town. I know it is all to easy to hang out with like attributed people but that does not always lead to good things. I can honestly say that I feel no more comfortable in a room full of gay men than I do straight men. What I don't understand is why we need a gay area. Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 06-13-2009 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Updated quote to match original. The orphaned sentence referred to the deleted portion of the quote/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio