U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 PM

399 posts, read 828,275 times
Sounds like freon is low. Its a distinct sound the unit makes when it's low, like its working harder. Probably check for a leak near the connection outside. The service tech will probably find it in about 3 minutes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 03:12 PM

1,740 posts, read 3,832,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post
Don't ask me how I know this... but, do you change your filters regularly? It sounds like maybe the coil needs cleaning.
Great question. I make it a habbit to use the pleated filters and change once a month year round.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:00 PM

5,070 posts, read 7,379,799 times
My vote goes for the R-22 being low. Could be a number of reasons why the refrigerant is low... whoever fixes it should be sure and track down the root cause of the problem.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:08 PM

3,060 posts, read 4,906,775 times
Our ac is very sensitive to the filter condition. If the filter is dirty, we can tell!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:15 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,368,952 times
Well, the tech came out and it was the Puron (that's what he said it was called) that was not charged enough. Ok, so I'm dumb, not sure what this means, but he said whoever did it the first time didn't know what they were doing and they needed to add a couple of pounds. Again, don't understand but I just smile and nod!
Anyway, they adjusted it and it IS getting much cooler upstairs. He said we have radient barriers up in our roof, so that should help things. He said the attic still seemed really hot for having those. He suggested adding fans up there, anyone know if this would help or how much it would cost? I'm also trying to figure out how to get our air to a point where the unit doesn't run all day long which would make our bills high. Any other energy efficient suggestions would be HIGHLY appreciated! Thanks for your help guys, my mind is more at ease!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 PM

134 posts, read 356,130 times
This happened to us last summer w/2 units too. Our room is over garage, but whole room upstairs was hot. My BIL works in cooling suggested it might be frozen. To turn off for 24hours to thaw & try again. That was our problem. If doesn't work after that you should still be in warranty.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,870,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Well, the tech came out and it was the Puron (that's what he said it was called) that was not charged enough. Ok, so I'm dumb, not sure what this means, but he said whoever did it the first time didn't know what they were doing and they needed to add a couple of pounds. Again, don't understand but I just smile and nod!
Anyway, they adjusted it and it IS getting much cooler upstairs. He said we have radient barriers up in our roof, so that should help things. He said the attic still seemed really hot for having those. He suggested adding fans up there, anyone know if this would help or how much it would cost? I'm also trying to figure out how to get our air to a point where the unit doesn't run all day long which would make our bills high. Any other energy efficient suggestions would be HIGHLY appreciated! Thanks for your help guys, my mind is more at ease!

Try to keep shades/blinds closed as much as you can. You also have to find that "sweet spot" where the temp floats naturally and won't make the AC run all day. For us..it was 75. At 74..the AC ran an awful lot...but at 75...it cut the run time down tremendously!! You need to experiment once the area is cooled form this latest incident.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 PM

134 posts, read 356,130 times
I agree we keep all our blinds closed too upstairs. Heavier blinds helped us not the cheapies builders always put in. I also run all our ceiling fans upstairs all the time & close the doors on rooms we don't use daily. Our good temp is 74 -75 also. A few times during the summer I will lower to 73 like when I'm getting dressed &blowing drying hair. I also don't turn mine up when we leave I keep it at 75. We always turn the downstairs off when we go to sleepall our rooms are upstairs.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 PM

2,400 posts, read 4,350,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
We have a home warrenty- so repair is covered, and we do have someone coming out right now. I'm just wondering if this is the "norm" for Tx. I've never lived outside of Ohio and even on the hottest days there, with one unit, we were able to sleep upstairs without a problem. Here's hoping there IS something wrong with it and it will be repaired soon!
Once you get it fixed, do remember that most AC units are able to bring the interior temp down about 20 degrees lower than the exterior temp. So, on those days appoaching 100, your AC will be running like crazy to try to keep the temp down.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:32 AM

5,070 posts, read 7,379,799 times
I've thought a lot about cooling and tried to help my family out a bit with their place... last time I priced solar powered attic cooling fans they were in the $~350 range. That was around 4 years ago. Those would be the easiest thing to install because hey, no wires. In the environment down there who knows how hot it gets in the attic. The other big thing you can do to help cooling out is to try and keep the roof and side of the house shaded. Either by trees, or if you feel like really trying something different look into a green roof.
Do-it-Yourself Green Roofs: Eco Roof Installation - Associated Content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio