Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 01:36 PM

18 posts, read 17,957 times

Advertisements

Hello form Antarctica! Just kidding we're from Chicago however it is colder here than Antarctica today so yeah... My family and I are will be moving to San Antonio this summer once our school year is over. My husband works for an airline and will be transferring to the San Antonio International airport. We have 3 boys ages 7, 4, and 2 and we need help looking for a place to call home in San Antonio. We will be coming down for a visit in March to get a better idea of areas we would like to live but would love to have some input from you all. We are looking to buy a home 4 beds 2 baths under $250K with good schools (no one has special needs), a family oriented neighborhood, and close proximity to the airport. My husband works double shifts (16 hours) at least 2 -3 days a week so he would love to avoid having a long commute 30 minutes or less would be ideal the closer the better. We currently live less than a mile from Midway airport in Chicago so we do not mind airport noise as we are used to it. We have read through out the forum and some areas we're interested in are the usual Stone Oak and Encino Park although it seems he might have a long commute if there is traffic. We also saw some homes we liked in Cibolo but it seems a bit secluded and DH commute would be even longer from there. We are a young family with very active boys who love being outdoors. Any insight you all could offer would be amazing thank you so much in advance for all your help.

Last edited by boymom87; 01-30-2019 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 01:47 PM

6,693 posts, read 8,742,982 times
It won't be long before you will be saying "Hello from Hell". It gets pretty hot here in the Summer.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:54 PM

Lol we have lived here our entire lives and we all hate the cold. So a change in climate is very much needed for us.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:03 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,970,368 times
I recommend trying to find a house North of loop 410, east of I-10 and west of 281. There are some in your price range. This is all a good area in my opinion, near the airport with good schools but not too expensive (depending on the area). If you can find a house right outside the "city" of Shavano Park I think that would be your best route.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:25 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,641,280 times
Welcome! My family moved from the Chicago area to SA in 1988 and apparently we are never leaving. LOL. My family currently lives in the De Zavala/10 area (78249). The schools are pretty good and you might be able to land a home in that price range. I might suggest looking in the zip codes of 78249, 78240, 78230, 78213 and 78216. 78216 is going to be the closest to the airport. It stretches from west of the airport all the way east to 35, so its a large chunk and the further east you go the less desirable the homes will be. Come down for a visit, do some driving 15 minutes north, east and west of the airport to get an idea of what may be a good fit.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:36 PM

Check out Harmony Hills neighborhood. Homes are older but it is the closest neighborhood to the airport within your price range.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:06 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,057,468 times
Yes, a lot of the homes in the nicer areas with better schools will be out of your range, but stick with what has been suggested any you may find something. Good luck.

Don't come crying to us about the long ,hot summer or the "critters" that you didn't have in Chi-town....lol. Kidding.

Here is a list of "pros" and "cons" from today...some are controversial.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifesty...0-13396566.php

Old 01-30-2019, 03:28 PM

Instead of scrolling through those stupid picture slides in the article that Pancho linked to....here are the reasons (all seem like "cons"):

Quote:
1. The Heat - A positive or a negative, depending who you ask.
"The average high temperature in July is about 95 degrees," World According to Briggs said. "Now that's the average. It gets up in the triple digits pretty quick.

2. Taxes - The city charges an 8.25 percent sales tax.
"If you're going to buy a house or a candy bar, you're going to pay some taxes,"

3. Severe Allergies - All seasons are allergy seasons in San Antonio.
"Juniper and Cedar trees are extremely popular in the San Antonio area," especially because they're drought resistant, World According to Briggs said. "The downside is these trees also give off an extreme amount of pollen which may affect the residents in a big way."

4. The Rodeo - The San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo brings in about 2 million visitors annually, but it might not be as popular with members of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.
"If you move here and think it's wrong, keep that to yourself," World According to Briggs said. "You might get a smack in the teeth if you tell someone how you feel about it."

5. Fire ants - Those pesky, tiny red ants that plague everyone in Texas? They're definitely in San Antonio.
"I got bit on my foot nearly ten years ago and I still have a scar. And it was painful. And they're no joke,"

6. Spanish speaking - About 65 percent of the San Antonio population is Hispanic, and the Spanish language is frequently spoken in the city.
"I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, it just seems more frequent than any other place I've ever visited," World According to Briggs said. "If you don't speak Spanish, or at least have a little understanding of it, you may find it hard at times to communicate in San Antonio."

7. The Bible Belt - San Antonio's location makes it part of the Bible Belt, which means religion is important to many people.
"Don't be surprised if the checkout lady in a grocery store asks you what church you go to. It's kind of similar to 'what kind of high school did you go to' with them," World According to Briggs said.

8. Crime - The crime rate in San Antonio is 108 percent higher than the national average, according to the video.
"To put this in a better perspective, San Antonio is safer than only 6 percent of cities in the U.S," World According to Briggs said.

9. Average income - The average annual income in San Antonio is about $50,000, which is lower than the national average.
"If you're a, let's say, IT person working in Dallas, Los Angeles, New York (or) wherever and you decide to relocate to the Alamo City, chances are, you;re going to take a pay cut," World According to Briggs said.

10. Tobacco laws - In October, San Antonio became the first Texas city to raise the tobacco purchase age from 18 to 21.
"I'm not sure if anybody's every pulled the plug on relocating to a new city over a tobacco law, but hey, it's a thing," World According to Briggs said. "And if caught smoking in the basement of the Alamo, fines are tripled."
Source for above in quote: https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifesty...0-13396566.php

Last edited by Azure110; 01-30-2019 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-30-2019, 03:46 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,057,468 times
If you go past all of those in the slides...there are more with the "pros".

Old 01-30-2019, 04:01 PM

Thank you all so much for your help! List of cons are actually pros for us.
Taxes in Chicago are 10.25%
Crime: We had over 500 murders here last year we can’t even walk to the park because of the gun violence
Heat: it’s -45 below zero right now I will take 100 degrees over ice, snow, and temperatures that literally hurt your face.
Hubby is transferring so no pay cut. Good thing we’re Mexican American and speak Spanish so we shouldn’t have a problem there �� I also love the pros
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio