U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:36 AM

21 posts, read 51,989 times

Advertisements

We are moving to San Antonio this summer and are looking to buy a home under 200K. We are coming down next week to look at some houses and was wondering if I could get some input on the neighborhoods. We are a family with kids ages 6-13 so schools are pretty important. The areas we are looking at homes are in Helotes (Stanton Run and Helotes Crossing), Braun Willow, Stonefield, Silverbrook, Hunters Chase, Parkwood and Westfield. Any opinions on these neighborhoods would be appreciated. We've never lived in any sort of big city before so it is all new for us. My husband will be working at Lackland.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
I don't know those areas well, but I know that Helotes is a popular area in the Northside ISD. You might be facing a situation where enrollment at the schools or grades for the schools serving the neighborhood you choose are capped or close to being capped. If that happens, your kids will be send to another school nearby.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,735,284 times
Just curious, why are you mainly considering those particular neighborhoods? There are similar neighborhoods a little further south that would be an easier commute for your husband.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 AM

We were told that O'Connor was one of the better high schools in that area and that is why most of the homes we are looking at are in that district. We also have a son in elementary school that has special needs. These are the areas the realtor has sent to us. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 AM

Ah. Yep, O'Connor is by far one of the better (if not currently the best) HS in the area. (Although, Clark isn't real far from there, and it's also highly regarded. But again, most neighborhoods that feed into it would be a longer commute as well.) I just personally wouldn't want to deal with the commute from that area to Lackland, but there's tons of people who do it, so it must be worth it for them. Wish I could offer you input about the particular neighborhoods, but I'm not real familiar with any of them. Best of luck!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,983 times
there is a new high school opening up for the 2008-2009 school year --- Brandies --- so living in Parkwood would put your students going to the new school, not O'Connor ---

you might want to check which other neighborhoods would go to the new school vs. O'Connor ---

I believe that Stanton Run would still go to O'Connor as well as any other neighborhoods with a Helotes address, but again, i would double check that as the boundary lines are very close to separating the 2 schools ...

Old 04-09-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
there is a new high school opening up for the 2008-2009 school year --- Brandies --- so living in Parkwood would put your students going to the new school, not O'Connor ---

you might want to check which other neighborhoods would go to the new school vs. O'Connor ---

I believe that Stanton Run would still go to O'Connor as well as any other neighborhoods with a Helotes address, but again, i would double check that as the boundary lines are very close to separating the 2 schools ...
EXACTLY!!!

So, run the address of ANY home you consider thru the Boundaries & Buses search;

North Side ISD - Street Category Selection

Don't rely on what the listing says. Many times it's outdated. When I was practicing Real Estate, I ALWAYS had my clients do this.

Also, check this page. It has listings of all the different boundary changes associated with Brandeis. (There's LOTS!!)

Approved Boundary Change : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238 (http://nisd.net/boundaries/boundary/5 - broken link)

Last edited by jules07; 04-09-2008 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: addl. info

Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 AM

Thank you both for that information!! I greatly appreciate it.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,358 times
We live in Willdhorse Vista subdivision and love it here. Mainstreet homes is starting phase 2 soon....but still some houses left here in phase 1 under 200K. Go to thier site and you can see the plans for them. Our neighborohood is nice and quiet and family oriented.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:10 PM

33 posts, read 109,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana99 View Post
We are moving to San Antonio this summer and are looking to buy a home under 200K. We are coming down next week to look at some houses and was wondering if I could get some input on the neighborhoods. We are a family with kids ages 6-13 so schools are pretty important. The areas we are looking at homes are in Helotes (Stanton Run and Helotes Crossing), Braun Willow, Stonefield, Silverbrook, Hunters Chase, Parkwood and Westfield. Any opinions on these neighborhoods would be appreciated. We've never lived in any sort of big city before so it is all new for us. My husband will be working at Lackland.
Thanks!
I live near Braun Willow and I work on Lackland and it takes me 20 min. every morning to get to work so it's not to bad. I avoid driving down bandera rd to get to work though.....The areas you mentioned are good locations. Of course every part of town has it ups and downs and neighbors that dont seem to care much about anything.....there is plenty to do for the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio