Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 AM

12 posts, read 43,525 times

Advertisements

Very true. Nurseries are more adept to the conditions that we face here. Thanks for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 AM

732 posts, read 3,552,587 times
I'm hoping to pick up some seedling plants for my veggie garden at Calloway's this weekend.....How is their overall variety? I plan on going to the one on San Pedro, just inside Loop 410.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:02 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
If the store on Pat Booker was indicative of the other stores it should be quite good. My experience was two weeks ago. They had a great variety. The heirloom tomatoes looked very nice. As they should for $2 per plant. They may be very large by now but they may be on sale. It's getting a little late to be starting tomatoes. I'd get them in the ground this weekend.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Bib box stores tend to sell rather mudane varieties with usually not much thought to what varieties are the best for the area. The workers may or may not be knowlegable in plant care. I would just rather deal with nurseries.
I second that. I've had much better success with veggie plants I've purchased from Shades of Green (my preferred local nursery) than those from the big box stores.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:50 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
No wonder Callaway's is leaving town.
I went to the store on Broadway this afternoon. The plants were very expensive and I noticed they sell alot of things that will not grow here. Trees that do not survive the heat and need a dormant period in the winter. We do not always get a dormant period that trees need, and bedding plants that can't handle direct 100 degree sun. The stuff looks great in the store, but I wouldn't pay the price for the stuff.
There's a great nursery on the southside near 410 and Zarzamora that is cheaper and sells only stuff that will grow here.
It's a trip to go, but worth it.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:02 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNW4life View Post
Why do you choose not to buy plants from Lowes/HD? I have had very good luck with both places when it comes to plants. I typically shop at the HD on Culebra/1604, because it is closer and I have never had any problem with the plants there.
I can speak only for myself, but we try to avoid buying anything from Lowes/HD that we can get from a locally owned or specialized store (so I tend to avoid the chain nurseries as well) for the very simple fact that I want to keep those locally owned places in business. More importantly, however, the local places tend to have more knowledge as well as a better supply of items (in this case plants/trees/shrubs anything green) than the big box stores.

There's a fabulous gardening center on the east side - Fannicks, and another great but slowly dwindling nursery on S. Zarzamora and 410. Last time we were there the owner said he may not stick around much longer (he's been there for 20+ years; Fannick's has been around much longer).

As it is I'm forced to use HD/Lowes a lot simply because there are no other stores that carry the supplies I need in San Antonio, but I try to avoid it if I can.

Same goes for many items, including coffee

Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
If the store on Pat Booker was indicative of the other stores it should be quite good. My experience was two weeks ago. They had a great variety. The heirloom tomatoes looked very nice. As they should for $2 per plant. They may be very large by now but they may be on sale. It's getting a little late to be starting tomatoes. I'd get them in the ground this weekend.
SnappyBob, aren't you the one that does raised beds? Could we do a meet up and have you as our guest speaker to share all your knowledge with us? Then maybe I could actually keep some of the plants that I'd like to buy at Calloway alive!!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 PM

732 posts, read 3,552,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
SnappyBob, aren't you the one that does raised beds? Could we do a meet up and have you as our guest speaker to share all your knowledge with us? Then maybe I could actually keep some of the plants that I'd like to buy at Calloway alive!!
Jules.... I use something called "The Garden Patch" that is a type of self-watering, self-fertilizing raised container. I've had success with tomatoes so far and plan to branch out into other veggies and fresh herbs (I just purchased a 2nd one.) I hope to pick up some plants at Calloway's this weekend for that very purpose.

Maybe something like that would work for you, too..... You can find it online...

Old 04-10-2008, 07:14 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
Jules.... I use something called "The Garden Patch" that is a type of self-watering, self-fertilizing raised container. I've had success with tomatoes so far and plan to branch out into other veggies and fresh herbs (I just purchased a 2nd one.) I hope to pick up some plants at Calloway's this weekend for that very purpose.

Maybe something like that would work for you, too..... You can find it online...
Cool, thanx! I just checked it out, looks great. Noticed that you get a little better price when you order several. Maybe we should talk about that at the M&G!!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:30 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNW4life View Post
SnappyBob,

Why do you choose not to buy plants from Lowes/HD? I have had very good luck with both places when it comes to plants. I typically shop at the HD on Culebra/1604, because it is closer and I have never had any problem with the plants there.
I heard from someone that both Lowe's and Home Depot are the reason that Calloways is leaving, could not compete with the big guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio