Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 05:04 PM

55 posts, read 115,626 times

Advertisements

My mom's house is being foreclosed and I need to remove myself from this whole equation (long story). All of the state services I've contacted (such as San Antonio Housing Authority) have wait lists that are several years long and I don't make enough for an apartment although I do have 2 part time jobs. I have no idea what to do anymore. I have 2 weeks and wasn't notified about this situation until last Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Have you tried calling 211, the United Way hotline?

Old 03-19-2019, 05:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
That’s a tough situation. Since you don’t make enough to rent on your own you may need to find a roommate. Hit up craigslist and Facebook for groups. I’m unsure what they are here in SA but Austin has lots of those groups. Look into the apartments owned by Merced Housing, those apartments base rent on income. 211 will most likely give you the same resources. SAMM ministries does have services for a program called “rapid rehousing” but you need to be homeless already, from my understanding. When/if you do become homeless (which isn’t ideal) you would qualify to complete thecoirdinated entry process. Unfortunately, it is my understanding that you need to be “completely” homeless as defined by HID to qualify for those services. https://www.sarahomeless.org/coordinated-entry/ There may be some things missing since it’s been almost four years since I’ve lived in San Antonio.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Have you tried calling 211, the United Way hotline?

I have but they weren't much help. They just pointed me back to SAHA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
That’s a tough situation. Since you don’t make enough to rent on your own you may need to find a roommate. Hit up craigslist and Facebook for groups. I’m unsure what they are here in SA but Austin has lots of those groups. Look into the apartments owned by Merced Housing, those apartments base rent on income. 211 will most likely give you the same resources. SAMM ministries does have services for a program called “rapid rehousing” but you need to be homeless already, from my understanding. When/if you do become homeless (which isn’t ideal) you would qualify to complete thecoirdinated entry process. Unfortunately, it is my understanding that you need to be “completely” homeless as defined by HID to qualify for those services. https://www.sarahomeless.org/coordinated-entry/ There may be some things missing since it’s been almost four years since I’ve lived in San Antonio.

I've been thinking about trying to find a roommate but I don't even know if I make enough to cover my half of the rent. The rent is the thing that drags me down the most. I make enough for utilities and such but not enough to cover rent.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:54 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Look into renting a room at a local motel for a time that will give you a break from the daily rate, such as for a month, this will also give you a bit of breathing room to decide what is going to happen in your near future.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:36 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
There are rooms available for as low as $20 a night on Airbnb. That could buy some time. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2019, 06:08 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
See if renting of mobile home wouldn't be cheaper. Or move to suburbs?

See if this calculator can help:
https://www.apartmentlist.com/tx/san...eap-apartments

What's your budget?

Old 03-25-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
See if renting of mobile home wouldn't be cheaper. Or move to suburbs?

See if this calculator can help:
https://www.apartmentlist.com/tx/san...eap-apartments

What's your budget?

Extremely low. $300 a month is pushing it.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanAlden View Post
Extremely low. $300 a month is pushing it.
Sounds like you need to look for better jobs.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:27 PM

173 posts, read 289,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Sounds like you need to look for better jobs.
Why not look for full time jobs and work overtime for those? Obviously, your part time jobs are not cutting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio