Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 04:09 PM

30 posts, read 42,513 times

Advertisements

I have taken 410 (from the airport/Broadway entrance until I get off at I-10 for 3 years now. However, in the last 3 weeks, my commute has spiked from 25 minutes to 45 minutes every afternoon, and the sheer volume of traffic has gone through the roof it seems in this time frame.

My question is what is going on for my commute time to go up 80% every afternoon? I look on google maps for accidents but none really. It’s just insanely busy compared to its usual self.

Any input as to why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 04:48 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
That stretch of westbound 410 has traditionally been congested during the weekday afternoons/early evenings. I drive that stretch frequently during those times, and I don't see how it could get much worse than it has been in recent years.

Sometimes it's accidents, or it could be residual backup from an earlier accident that takes time to clear. I've come across stalled vehicles in one of the traffic lanes (usually the one I'm in) at times The traffic is usually very heavy at those times to begin with, and it doesn't take much to gum up the works. Also, there is a stretch that cuts through the City of Castle Hills that is especially accident-prone (approximately Blanco Rd to Jackson Keller), and I've found those accidents often are not reported by the TV/radio media traffic reports, even though they may result in multiple lane closures. Also, I find it to generally be worse on days that schools are/have been in session. We did have spring break two or three weeks back.

I've taken Wurzbach Parkway on a few occasions from Nacogdoches to Lockhill-Selma. With the exception of the traffic Light at NW Military that may take a few cycles to get through, I've found the traffic volume to be much lighter, in very sharp contrast to volumes 410.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:05 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titansfan777 View Post
I have taken 410 (from the airport/Broadway entrance until I get off at I-10 for 3 years now. However, in the last 3 weeks, my commute has spiked from 25 minutes to 45 minutes every afternoon, and the sheer volume of traffic has gone through the roof it seems in this time frame.

My question is what is going on for my commute time to go up 80% every afternoon? I look on google maps for accidents but none really. It’s just insanely busy compared to its usual self.

Any input as to why?
Fastest growing city in the country.

5 years again our busiest freeway segment was 215,000 now it 300,000 cars per day. The expansion of 1604 to 5 lanes in each direction will not start till 2021. Once the fix Wurzbach Parkway at NW Military and and Lockhill Selma that will take a little pressure off of 410.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:24 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,061,893 times
He's saying "in the last 3 weeks" his commute time has almost doubled from 25 to 45 minutes.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:24 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
He's saying "in the last 3 weeks" his commute time has almost doubled from 25 to 45 minutes.
As somone who commutes 20+ miles my commute gets longer and longer. It is never gradual and when it hits at once it stays indefinitely. I’m doing the opposite commute as the OP and a few years back I never had stop and go traffic. One year it started stopping at San Pedro, then a few years later at Vance Jackson, now at Babcock. It was never gradual and always seemed like one weekend I was joined by thousands of more motorists.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:37 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,061,893 times
Guess the OP can expect it to be indefinitely. BTW- I'm sorry you have a 20+ mile commute.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:59 PM

173 posts, read 289,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titansfan777 View Post

Any input as to why?
Get used to it. It will only continue to get worse.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:05 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,826,047 times
Get on here, Facebook, and other social media pages. Boast about the "secret route" you found that cuts the time in half. Talk vaguely about the route......within a week, half the traffic will be gone they hunt for your secret route!

Old 04-09-2019, 08:58 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,999,431 times
I have been driving east on 410 and looked over and noticed this too in the past month or two. The traffic is backed up for like 6 miles or more sometimes. It is truly nuts.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:43 PM

30 posts, read 42,513 times
I wasn’t sure if there was some lanes that are being worked on or what, but it’s truly a massive spike. Naturally it’s been getting busier over the years, but this last month is an extreme outlier. That’s what I was getting at. It just seemed to abrupt to be natural.

As for other ways, I wish Wurzbach was an option. Unfortunately, I live right off 410 and Huebner, so for as fast as wurzbach is, as soon as you hit SW Military it’s all traffic jam from there to Huebner/i10 so it more than makes up for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio