Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 01:39 PM

61,403 posts, read 86,378,176 times

Advertisements

They should then focus on creating safe ways for bicyclists and scooters. Actually do that first then ban the sidewalks. Where those people should drive?
Also those scooters should have docks everywhere, so the charge would stop only when docked. It would eliminate all the vandalism and abandoned scooters in parks and sidewalks.
Austin did that with bicycles. No more mess....

Last edited by elnina; 05-31-2019 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 02:02 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,064,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It seems like this is an instance where state government should step in, since it's a transportation issue. There's no reason these should be banned on the sidewalks of San Antonio and allowed on the sidewalks of Fort Worth, for instance.
Why? If its a "transportation issue" wouldn't that mean the fed govt should step in then? This is how local governments work. When they are doing their jobs, they decide on issues that effect locally before a larger government takes action. Not only to test out rules but to establish a basis for the state and federal government to see how areas are working with it or stopping it.

These are probably a non-issue in most of Texas (rural area). The college towns will probably have a different outlook on these then the big three cities.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:25 PM

3,164 posts, read 1,713,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
In a month, electric scooter riding won’t be allowed on San Antonio’s sidewalks.
Don’t expect a city-wide crackdown with vigilant scooter police and tough fines, but the San Antonio City Council unanimously approved an amendment to the city’s scooter ordinance Thursday that would ban the dockless vehicles from sidewalks by June 30. Legal ridership will be exclusively on streets, along with bicycles and other traffic.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...e-13907124.php
If they’re going to be limited to the streets, will they be required to wear head gear? The scooter rider’s head would be like a smashing pumpkin 🎃 without gear in an accident.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:09 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,141,518 times
As if we all didn't see this coming from the beginning.

I wish SACC would abandon their "keepin' up with the Joneses" mindset, forget about what other cities are doing, and just focus on what is best for the people of San Antonio.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,785,157 times
I agree with banning scooters and anything else with a motor from the sidewalk, with the exception of motorized wheelchairs.

It's already illegal to ride bicycles on the sidewalk. I still do it on main streets because a lot of drivers will either come too close by accident or swerve toward you to scare you on purpose. When I'm riding, I understand that pedestrians have the right of way on the sidewalk and I'm always careful not to get in their way or pass them before they realize I'm there (so I don't scare them). I've never been ticketed for riding on the sidewalk.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:54 PM

6,485 posts, read 7,468,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
These are probably a non-issue in most of Texas (rural area). The college towns will probably have a different outlook on these then the big three cities.
Plus these scooters are rolled out differently in different cities. In some cities, these scooters can be found spread all over the city where as in San Antonio, they seem to be mostly clustered in the downtown area.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:55 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,064,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Plus these scooters are rolled out differently in different cities. In some cities, these scooters can be found spread all over the city where as in San Antonio, they seem to be mostly clustered in the downtown area.
Not where I'm at. I'm near right between the two loops, and I see them all over the place. Usually its just one lone scooter, but rarely ill see three or four together. (I think they are being left at the bus stop).

Old 06-04-2019, 03:54 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,321,345 times
There are rows and rows of them around UTSA, north.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,629,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
There are rows and rows of them around UTSA, north.
SO many by UTSA. There’s some sitting outside my parents’ neighborhood at Babcock and de Zavala. I’m Aldo wondering what the status if scooters on trails, like Valero and salado. There is officially a geofence around the town lake trail for scooters, but motorized bikes can be on the trail. That can be super dqngerous. Up here I don’t think we’ve “banned” them from sidewalks, but they have been classified as vehicles so people now can be cited for speeding and being wreck less drivers.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:05 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,582,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
1. They used to have these scooters in Arizona, and it didn't take long before they completely banned them. I hope they eventually do that here, (not a personal one, but one that is going to be left as trash around the city until someone picks it up behind them).
Scooters are not banned state-wide in AZ. They may have been banned in your city however. I'm in Mesa and I see them all over the place here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio