Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 12:01 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
From what I read in the paper, the legislature just recently tightened up the regulations. In the past, if the poll workers recognized you, they could check a box and go ahead and let you vote. That option has now been removed. She, like many of us, probably was not aware of this change because it hasn't been advertised.

That said, while I don't object to THIS change to the regulations, and I'm not against the idea of having a photo ID, I do believe that the legislature is looking for every opportunity to suppress the vote. After all, why aren't student ID's allowed as an acceptable form of identification? Why make it so difficult to acquire an ID? Why aren't hyphen's allowed in names on driver's licenses - making them different from the voter's registration and causing questions. every. single. time!?
Good points to consider in your second paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 01:10 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,392,889 times
Quote:
From what I read in the paper, the legislature just recently tightened up the regulations. In the past, if the poll workers recognized you, they could check a box and go ahead and let you vote. That option has now been removed. She, like many of us, probably was not aware of this change because it hasn't been advertised.

That said, while I don't object to THIS change to the regulations, and I'm not against the idea of having a photo ID, I do believe that the legislature is looking for every opportunity to suppress the vote. After all, why aren't student ID's allowed as an acceptable form of identification? Why make it so difficult to acquire an ID? Why aren't hyphen's allowed in names on driver's licenses - making them different from the voter's registration and causing questions. every. single. time!?
Student IDs aren't allowed because citizenship is not a requirement for issuance.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,168,462 times
Quote:
That said, while I don't object to THIS change to the regulations, and I'm not against the idea of having a photo ID, I do believe that the legislature is looking for every opportunity to suppress the vote. After all, why aren't student ID's allowed as an acceptable form of identification? Why make it so difficult to acquire an ID?
Some states allow student IDs as acceptable forms of identification for purposes of voting, others do not. Still some allow student IDs, but only from public colleges & universities. I'm not sure why Texas is among those states that don't allow student IDs at all, but I would speculate maybe it has to do with vast number of independent private schools in the state, plus the fewer number of public systems. Unless a uniform ID format were adopted, it would be difficult, if not impossible, for poll worker to spot fake IDs, especially from small private schools few have ever heard of. And of course, allowing student IDs as acceptable forms of identification would do nothing to help seniors, like our former mayor.

As for difficulty of obtaining an ID, I would take issue with that. I took my octogenarian mother to a local DPS office a few years ago to get a Texas ID card, right before her driver's license was about to expire (she was no longer driving at that point). Simple process, one-time deal for someone over age 60 (no expiration), and she was set for life. Although she was voting by mail, too many other situations where a photo ID was needed, like visits to medical facilities, for example, or in-person credit card transactions (and yes, they still sometimes ask for a photo ID at point of sale).

Old 06-05-2019, 09:19 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,299,747 times
Keep in mind to us on one side of the issue we are trying to talk sense into people who think it is okay for a felon (who did or did not mass murder people) to vote, while they cannot even have a shower without being told.

As for the student ID, that is not a valid argument. If you cannot cash a check or enter a movie with one, why should you be able to pick the next impactful president.

Logic seems to be fading in our society.

Cite some nonpartisan studies of voter suppression before you complain. (Please make sure they are nonpartisan! The southern law poverty center is not one.

One thing we do know is Lila is not a nonpartisan source, and if she is too old to know basic laws then why the heck is commenting on more impactful things like gentrification and San Antonio ethics as a knowledgeable source?

SMH at this stupid news.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:19 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,299,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Keep in mind to us on one side of the issue we are trying to talk sense into people who think it is okay for a felon (who did or did not mass murder people) to vote, while they cannot even have a shower without being told.

As for the student ID, that is not a valid argument. If you cannot cash a check or enter a movie with one, why should you be able to pick the next impactful president.

Logic seems to be fading in our society.

Cite some nonpartisan studies of voter suppression before you complain. (Please make sure they are nonpartisan! The southern law poverty center is not one.

One thing we do know is Lila is not a nonpartisan source, and if she is too old to know basic laws then why the heck is commenting on more impactful things like gentrification and San Antonio ethics as a knowledgeable source?

SMH at this stupid news.
Geez I cannot type on my phone.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:14 AM

4,687 posts, read 3,124,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Because for most of her life, you could vote with just your voter registration card. Is it really so shocking that a 97-year-old woman would be unaware of or would forget the change? She did have her voter reg card.

The rule almost did have its intended effect of blocking a Democratic vote. Sorry guys, better luck next time.
Woulda been just fine if she'd been a Republican?

Old 06-08-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Woulda been just fine if she'd been a Republican?
The voter laws in Texas as they stand now clearly benefits the Republican party so I don't think we will be hearing about the same situation affecting a Republican anytime soon.

However in this case....the lady should have known she needs an ID. In general...I see the older generation thinking they can still do things like they did "back in the day". She got a wake up call on the current rules of voting though.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:12 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
The voter laws in Texas as they stand now clearly benefits the Republican party so I don't think we will be hearing about the same situation affecting a Republican anytime soon.

However in this case....the lady should have known she needs an ID. In general...I see the older generation thinking they can still do things like they did "back in the day". She got a wake up call on the current rules of voting though.
Which part of the voter laws, specifically, benefit Republicans? I just pulled up the election rules again to refresh my memory, and being a Republican (or at least definitely NOT a Democrat), maybe I'm just not seeing it. So, please, enlighten those of us who don't follow.

From the Texas SOS website:

To be eligible to register to vote in Texas, a person must be:
A United States citizen;
A resident of the Texas county in which application for registration is made;
At least 18 years old on Election Day;
Not finally convicted of a felony, or, if so convicted must have (1) fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by any court; or (2) been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote; and
Not determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be (1) totally mentally incapacitated; or (2) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.

Again, what is it about these requirements that benefits Republicans, while preventing Democrats from voting?

Old 06-08-2019, 12:20 PM

I am speaking about all the new bills recently passed in addition to gerrymandering. Not the general guidelines. Although the Republicans will never admit it...it is voter suppression aimed towards Democrats as an attempt to keep power in Texas as a short term measure.

Texas is becoming a swing state. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not in 5 years...but it will become one and there isn't anything the Republicans can do about that long term.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:17 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
Coming from the party that STILL hasn't accepted the 2016 presidential election results, and who now are whining about the electoral college, I find all of the crying about gerrymandering hysterical. Texas was blue long before it was red, and it will probably turn blue again. The old timers are dying off, which fills the younger crowd with glee. They just forget that old Democrats die, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio