Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2006, 08:46 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,254 times

Advertisements

i am here in san antonio on business and I have seen several accidents due to the never ending construction.

The construction maybe needed but some of the ways in which is done seems to create alot of congrestion and accidents.

Has anyone else encounterd such issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 05:29 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
Yup, see it all the time however the news teams and TXDOT (TX Dept. of Transportation) are pretty good about getting the word out when something is changing on the freeways or a closure. still lots of problems from the strangers just passing through on the freeways to another place.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,408 times
Red face About traffic problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
i am here in san antonio on business and I have seen several accidents due to the never ending construction.

The construction maybe needed but some of the ways in which is done seems to create alot of congrestion and accidents.

Has anyone else encounterd such issues?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,408 times
I visit San Antonio for the very first time last week with two of my clients/friends hoping to relocate to San Antonio. They were quite impressed about the progressing infrastructure construction specially on 410 and 281 NW.

However, I do agree with others that many of the roads/highways/expressways have to be either widened or improved to avoid accidents from being occurred. Many of these thoroughfares are either outdated or with cracks/holes.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 30,138 times
SA traffic is nothing as compared to Austin, Houston or Dallas. As Ram Ayala of Taco Land would say...don't be a poosey.

The decisions to not connect 281 with either 410 or 1604 are two that I'll never believe were backed up with any worthy reasoning.

Hey natives, what was the justification for those decisions?

Old 08-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
City versus State vs Feds pissing match, if I remember correctly. 281 was doomed from the beginning, though. It had the Conservation Society AND the Catholic Church working against it, so it was a benighted project from the get-go.

Oh, one thing I like to tell new residents when they complain about the construction - if they, and thousands of people like them, hadn't moved here, we wouldn't need to be drastically widening freeways as fast as we can. So, to be the cause of the construction, and then complain about the construction, is a bit ironic.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:01 PM

6 posts, read 30,138 times
I would think that the property to connect the interchanges would be eminent domained for right-of-way purposes. That has been one of my peeve's in my time here in SA. But there are too many positives to mention that heavily out-weigh that frustration.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:09 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,249 times
Watching that cable channel that flashes through the trans cams you always see accidents.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
281 was built in the '60s, a time when eminent domain was much more restricted that it is now. Nowadays, a government entity has the right to seize your private property and turn it over to another private entity if they feel like it. Back then, it was much harder.

Besides, it wasn't an eminent domain issue that affected the interchanges. That was a State vs Feds pissing match that the State "won". It had to do with taxes and transporation budgets and things like that.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,429 times
The San Antonio Area Freeway System - Airport Interchange Construction (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: