Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:33 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilo-11 View Post
My first language is spanish and that's a big part of why I want to move to San Antonio, to be able to speak spanish all the time and to teach my kids spanish.

My wife (who is white american) told me that she couldn't believe how often she heard people speaking spanish and that many times she felt as if she was in another country... I was surprised to see so many cars with license plates from Mexico.
Thanks for your honest analysis, Danilo. One thing I did notice when I last visited S.A. was the Mexican license plates. Certainly adds a unique cultural element to the city, that's for sure. But, the more I get to thinking about it, S.A. has surely always had very strong Hispanic influences by virtue of it being less than three hours from the border.

Spanish is being spoken more here in Kentucky with migrant workers moving here, so my basic Spanish language skills are slightly improving. Surely, but slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
I think a definite disclaimer needs to be made here. Your experience with Spanish in San Antonio will largely depend on where you live and what you seek out in your lifestyle. ...If Spanish offends you, then you can pretty much avoid it by staying in certain areas of town where it is not spoken as prevalently...
I'm sure the south and west sides of town inside I-410 have the highest concentration of Hispanic folks. Consequently, I'm sure those are where the best Mexican restaurants are.

Quote:
Oh, and for what it's worth, I second the motion in favor of downtown and near-downtown living if you're looking for fun nightlife. Not only are there nightclubs and entertainment galore in Southtown, downtown, St. Mary's Strip and the soon to be booming Pearl District, but you'll also find lots of arts and cultural activities, great parks, and rental housing is not too steep in many neighborhoods. Depending on your budget and desired living conditions (single, roommate, house-share, etc.) you can find a place in Tobin Hill, Alta Vista, Beacon Hill or other north-of-downtown neighborhoods for as little as $400-500/mo. Southtown and vicinity will probably be more expensive, but if you search you can find house-shares, etc., for as little as $600/mo. Good luck and welcome!
Sounds great! The San Antonio Express-News will only tell me so much about the "goings on" of the city.

What other newspapers, websites, blogs, etc. can I utilize to learn more about the city's neighborhoods, things to do.

For places to live, I've looked at Craigslist and apartments.com, the latter of which I think is more reliable. I guess the best way to get a good feel of my "type of neighborhood" is to just visit for a week, stay cheaply at an Extended Stay, and get a much better feel for S.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
(3) Is there a thriving singles scene for SA 20-somethings, or is it one of those places where everybody gets married by age 25?
Young adults in San Antonio, like in most of the US, are waiting to get married. I don't have actual stats, just anecdotal evidence from where I work and my friends. I got married recently at age 36 and was always able to meet plenty of single people my age (up until I met "The One", of course! ). Admittedly, many of them were divorced, but most had never been married.

Quote:
(4) My Spanish skills are extremely limited. Will that be a hindrance in the future? (By the way, I believe immigrants should learn our language, English, rather than us learning their language(s).)
I'm the whitest white boy you'll ever meet, and I know un poquito Español, which I have picked-up entirely while living here. But I never need it, and when I try using it with my bilingual friends, they think it's cute.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:04 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,992 times
Quote:
What other newspapers, websites, blogs, etc. can I utilize to learn more about the city's neighborhoods, things to do.
Read the San Antonio Current (the local arts/entertainment weekly) online at San Antonio Current - Home Page. There's entertainment listings, but the local columnists will give you insight on the community, issues, hot topics, etc. Interestingly, I just realized that two of the most popular local columns have Spanish names, so it might help you to know what they mean... "The QueQue" (loosely translated to "The What's Up", "The Scoop") is about local news-type events and "Chisme Libre" (translates as "Free Gossip" but really means "Everyone Chime in With Your Opinions & Chat/Gossip").

BTW - Uncle Mat and "Ask a Mexican" are syndicated and NOT local columnists. And why "Ask A Mexican" appears in the Current I have no idea. Maybe the Current editors find him funny in a sarcastic/edgy way, but I find the writer abrasive, racist, and counterproductive to improving communication between cultures. He's from California... hmmmm.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-20-2008 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: blog site removed - against ToS

Old 04-20-2008, 12:55 PM

486 posts, read 1,114,001 times
As far as another couple of apartment sites for you to browse are Match My Tastes to Find an Apartment for Rent - Apartment Home Living and Apartments for Rent and Homes for Rent

Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Young adults in San Antonio, like in most of the US, are waiting to get married. I don't have actual stats, just anecdotal evidence from where I work and my friends...

I'm the whitest white boy you'll ever meet, and I know un poquito Español, which I have picked-up entirely while living here.
Well, glad you mention those things. In my part of Kentucky, most of the 22-year-olds I know are in serious relationships or married. Makes it hard to even just enjoy the dating element of being single when you can't find a date, and I KNOW it's not all me! Not whining, but just being truthful.

As for knowing (conozco-?) un poquito Espanol, well, I'm actually looking forward to my skills improving if I move there. Learning a new language can be quite hard, and it's easy to forget what you learn when you don't apply it.

Quote:
Read the San Antonio Current (the local arts/entertainment weekly) online at San Antonio Current - Home Page. There's entertainment listings, but the local columnists will give you insight on the community, issues, hot topics, etc.
Thanks for the sites, they give me a LOT to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife1029 View Post
Thanks! Hopefully in a city as large as S.A. I'll find something to "suit my tastes."

Old 04-20-2008, 07:35 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,366 times
Quote:
Hi! I want to learn more about your city. Why? Well, I've applied for three jobs there. I am about to graduate from college (degree in Political Science) and ready for a change from central Kentucky. Texas is my first choice and, so far, I've applied to jobs in SA, Austin and Ft. Worth; closer to home, I've sent apps to Cincinnati and Jackson, MS.

Why is SA one of my major picks? Well, it's in Texas. 'Nuff said. Texas derives from Tejas, meaning "friend," which I'm sure ya'll know. Anyhow, I like the friendly culture, open skies, open minds, great highways, beautiful landscapes, and cleanliness of the Lone Star State. And...no state income tax! I'm a very friendly person; however, I think Kentuckians as a rule are, while polite and not rude, rather reserved and don't want to open up, so it's VERY hard to prolong friendships here. I find myself constantly taking the initiative, not equal initiative, so I hope Texans are truly as friendly and outgoing to friendly, law-abiding newcomers as I think they are.

So, these are my questions:
(1) I've been to SA and throughout Texas once. Is my above analysis accurate?
(2) Where are the most feasible (i.e.: cost, nightlife, safety) places inside 1604 (or preferably inside I-410) for a single, white, 22-year-old male?
(3) Is there a thriving singles scene for SA 20-somethings, or is it one of those places where everybody gets married by age 25?
(4) My Spanish skills are extremely limited. Will that be a hindrance in the future? (By the way, I believe immigrants should learn our language, English, rather than us learning their language(s).)

Okay, enough of my wordiness at the moment. Thank you to all that answer.
A single 22 y/o man should move to Austin or Ft. Worth. Both have alot going on in regards to nightlife/culture geared towards the younger crowd. If you love live music and alot of nightlife head for Austin. Austin is very open minded. SA more reserved and conservative. More married folks with kids and alot of military families and retirees settle in SA. You will love Austin.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:36 PM

Well, some bad news. I interviewed over the phone last week for a job in the city and was just told by this company that they're "pursuing other candidates." (It was involving automotive sales and customer service, not like a car dealer, though.) Oh well...I guess just keep trying.

Meanwhile, thanks for all the feedback you've given me. I'll be checking this thread and the S.A. section periodically to learn more and more about S.A. You all have been quite helpful.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,975 times
Quote:
Well, some bad news. I interviewed over the phone last week for a job in the city and was just told by this company that they're "pursuing other candidates." (It was involving automotive sales and customer service, not like a car dealer, though.) Oh well...I guess just keep trying.

Meanwhile, thanks for all the feedback you've given me. I'll be checking this thread and the S.A. section periodically to learn more and more about S.A. You all have been quite helpful.
I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out for you this time around. Best of luck with and hope you find the right calling for you.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:50 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:

Well, you said you've applied for 3 jobs here, so there's still hope, right? Have you checked all the big job boards? How about workintexas.com?

Good luck! Something will come along for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio