Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,700 times

Advertisements

Hi- I have recently been offered a position at the Medical Center and am considering leaving the mountains of Nevada for your lovely and warm city. I am wondering whether I should, but what would be helpful is knowing where to live and what to do. I do not want a long commute, but I want to live in a nice area with good condos (no more than $350k), places to walk to, and conviences close by. I would prefer no more than a 20 to 30 minute commute and I am not really into the suburbs. Any suggestions? Here in NV, you just don't travel far for anything. Also, I am into improv theater and African drumming. Anyone around there do those things? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 08:02 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,532,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovative View Post
Hi- I have recently been offered a position at the Medical Center and am considering leaving the mountains of Nevada for your lovely and warm city. I am wondering whether I should, but what would be helpful is knowing where to live and what to do. I do not want a long commute, but I want to live in a nice area with good condos (no more than $350k), places to walk to, and conviences close by. I would prefer no more than a 20 to 30 minute commute and I am not really into the suburbs. Any suggestions? Here in NV, you just don't travel far for anything. Also, I am into improv theater and African drumming. Anyone around there do those things? Thanks.
There are plenty of places to live in the Med Center that fall under your price range, and though there is a lot to do in terms of shopping/restaurants/pubs, it basically all requires driving and IMO, even if you live only a few miles away the commute can be a pain. The surface streets can be really congested. I live downtown (southtown specifically) and commute to the Medical Center - if I go direct from my house it's about 20 mins. On the days I don't work, I walk all over downtown. That said, we have to drive to go grocery shopping, unfortunately, but that's true nearly everywhere. The way the shops are built, they are not really set up for walking to them.

You could comfortably buy a condo in the Lavaca or KW neighborhood for that amount. Check out Welcome to the grand opening of San Antonio's hottest urban lifestyle -- Artisan Park Townhomes or Lifshutz Companies - King William Townhomes, San Antonio, TX (http://www.lifshutz.com/kwilliam.html - broken link)

I don't do improv or African drumming, but I know of people who do one or both, so there are groups around you could connect with. The Lavaca and King William neighborhoods (collectively Southtown) are vibrant arts communities, you'd meet a wide range of eclectic sorts.

Another area to consider is Mancke Park, just north/east of downtown. Similar types of people, slightly different style of housing, still close to shops, etc. The commute would be about the same.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:46 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,307,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovative View Post
There is a highrise condo called the Wurzbach Tower which is directly across the street from the Medical Center and only cost about 150K range for a condo. Alot of medical professionals live there. It is on Wurzbach. It looks nice from the exterior and has a doorman.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 32,623 times
The Area Off Of Hwy I-10; Dezavala Area/huebner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio