Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Easy (er, not so easy) solution. EVERYONE protest!
Yes, and march on the tax assessor's office with pitchforks and torches en masse if all else fails!!!! Viva la revolucion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 03:37 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
For factual errors, you don't need a hearing. A technician can make the correction on the record. Just go down to the BCAD office and discuss the case with an appraisal technician. You'll need either the sale paperwork and photos of your home or a copy of the MLS listing to convince them of the error.

I was in and out of there within 20 minutes when I did that the year after I bought my home. Much faster than a hearing.
Would my case warrant a hearing?

My neigbor's homes with the same floor plan (different elevations) are appraised lower, one much lower and the other has a 20-25% larger lot. Also, I purchased in July for 152k and it's now valued at 161k by BCAD (3rd party appraiser at closing was 168k).

I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot and end up with a higher assessed value than it already is. I do know that I'm that the only one (of the 3 comparables) with 3 sides brick. I don't know how much value that really adds. One of my neighbors only has one side but his 07 and 08 appraised values are identical to mine.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:02 PM

529 posts, read 2,710,892 times
I'm not expert at all but if it were me, I would get some comps for the area first before protesting. The house was appraised at 168K and you only paid 152K so you probably got a good deal. But if everyone in the neighborhood got a good deal (proven with the comps) then you probably have a good case. If you were the only one who got a cheap house, then BCAD might not listen to you.
Any real estate agent can get you comparative sales data for you area for free.
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
Would my case warrant a hearing?

My neigbor's homes with the same floor plan (different elevations) are appraised lower, one much lower and the other has a 20-25% larger lot. Also, I purchased in July for 152k and it's now valued at 161k by BCAD (3rd party appraiser at closing was 168k).

I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot and end up with a higher assessed value than it already is. I do know that I'm that the only one (of the 3 comparables) with 3 sides brick. I don't know how much value that really adds. One of my neighbors only has one side but his 07 and 08 appraised values are identical to mine.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:44 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
My stupid question is this.. how do they appraise a complete city without looking at any of the buildings?
Actually, they do look at the buildings. They have people who do nothing but go up and down the streets comparing improvements to property against their records. They do a visual exterior survey, may take photographs, and/or field measurements.

My brother-in-law was at home earlier this year when a BCAD employee came around to survey properties in their neighborhood. This is when they pick up things like patio slabs, decks, metal storage buildings in the back yard, etc. that have been added over the years and were not previously reflected in their records. If they haven't been poking around on your street in the last few years, chances are they will be before too long. If you go down to the BCAD office, they can probably show you a photo they have on file that was taken of your house!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:47 PM

529 posts, read 2,710,892 times
Well, with this cool google street map thing, they won't even have to leave their office to get a picture of your house. They can get a picture the street and the front of your house through google and get an overhead picture of your house and yard from zillow or cyberhomes or google earth or msn earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Actually, they do look at the buildings. They have people who do nothing but go up and down the streets comparing improvements to property against their records. They do a visual exterior survey, may take photographs, and/or field measurements.

My brother-in-law was at home earlier this year when a BCAD employee came around to survey properties in their neighborhood. This is when they pick up things like patio slabs, decks, metal storage buildings in the back yard, etc. that have been added over the years and were not previously reflected in their records. If they haven't been poking around on your street in the last few years, chances are they will be before too long. If you go down to the BCAD office, they can probably show you a photo they have on file that was taken of your house!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:48 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I think I'll be quiet about mine.. It rarely goes up much of anything, except in 2004, so I'll just leave it at that..

Old 04-18-2008, 07:07 PM

337 posts, read 826,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
It looks like the 2008 appraisals are out. Mine went up another $8,000 again. One more year and the 2006/7 property tax break will be wiped out.
So, any idea on how they valued our land? I am thinking with the market I might get and independent appraisal and see what that is. I hate to pay almost as much on a piece of dirt (mind you a fabulous piece of dirt with a view to die for) as I do on a house and lot.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:46 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,283 times
Ours went down $7K. Me likey!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 17,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Well how about this scenario:

I looked at the values of the homes on the 4 blocks which comprise my street. If you did NOT protest the value last year (I have a copy of 2007 values from both April 2007 and 2008), the appraisal went up an average of 9%. If you DID protest the value last year, the appraisal went up a whopping 23%. In other words, they are just trying to make up the difference they lost last year!
I think you are right. I protested last year after a 20% bump, formal dispute brought it back 5% less than the previous year. They bumped it to the same amount as last years amount I disputed. Up 28%.... This is just a big game to them.

The cap is 10% since I protested, at 10%, the value of the home will double in 7 years. Not happening in San Antonio. 350K home..

I looked at neighboring properties and they all wnr up 5-8%. I'm a new home in an old neighborhood, BCAD is hammering me because of this.

Last edited by nuttin2do; 04-18-2008 at 09:21 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 17,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
My house is appraised exactly 10% over what I paid for it 6 months ago. My impression is that if I were to put it on the market today I could probably sell it for the same price I paid 6 months ago, and not at the value it is apraised. Can this be disputed?

That should be an easy fix at the informal meeting. Value is as of 1/1/08, so that is about a month or two after you bought. Value didn't go up 10% in 2 months. At that rate of appreciation, house would be worth double what you paid for it less than a year!!!!! They are taking it to the citizens that pay their salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio