Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 22,543 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on Disney posssibly developing off HWY 211 and Hwy 90? I have heard from three separate sources. Anyone?
Maybe a call center? lol

Old 10-20-2006, 06:06 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,903 times
What sources are these?

Maybe, you never really know, SA is really popular with theme parks owners right now, it's probably one of if not the best market for theme parks. Six Flags is adding more rides and expanding its season here and Sea World is adding a bunch of new rides. Not to forget Splashtown east of downtown or Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, always ranked number 1 water park in the country.

And it's so crazy because not too long ago I was thinking if Disney ever built here, it would be in that area (off of 211) in far west Bexar.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:50 PM

18 posts, read 136,167 times
Do you think there is enough land out there for Disney to build on?

Old 10-20-2006, 08:30 PM

469 posts, read 2,341,796 times
Rumor has it Disney purchased 10k acres west, Seaworld area like west.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:34 PM

18 posts, read 136,167 times
That would be awesome to have Disney down here in SA.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:44 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Default Disney Attraction in SA?

If I'm not mistaken, the area of Hwy 90 and Hwy 211 will be a large golf resort area. HollyHills Principal Dan Bailey says work has begun on the initial phase of construction on a new vacation resort situated near the Golf Club of Texas at Briggs Ranch. I have heard nothing about a Disney attraction in that area.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:02 AM

Briggs Ranch Resort will be at the northeast corner of the 211/90 intersection. The rest of the land around the 211/90 intersection is undeveloped with no known future plans.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:31 PM

lockeed, who are the sources?

Old 10-29-2006, 10:22 PM

75 posts, read 362,002 times
I'm starting to hear rumors about this too. My family visits Disney every year, with a recent trip to WDW and it would be awesome if they would build here. I shiver at all the money i'd save on such frequent trips to "the world" as it's know in other VBB communities.

As much as i'd like to hear about this stuff, i'm somewhat certain that they won't come.

1. we don't have the airport facilities to accommodate such a large influx of people. i'm sure the expansion will be great, but nowhere in the realm of supporting so many people coming to a Disney park

2. we don't have enough hotels to house everyone coming to the park. even with the Disney-themed hotels that will surely follow, there's no way (in the immediate future) we can build enough places to support such a large facility of that magnitude.

I've got more but it's pretty late. Plus i hate discouraging myself from believing that this will ever happen. Disney has publically stated in the past few years that they tend to focus on overseas resorts with no intention of building another theme park domestically. This was during the late Eisner days and alot has changed. Lets hope the new #1 person running the show can take better leadership and bring Disney to Texas.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven69david View Post
I'm starting to hear rumors about this too.
Where are you hearing all this? I ask because I'm hearing people on the internet say this and I'm wondering if it’s just a story that's been circulating the internet or something people are hearing from credible sources. I don't want to get my hopes up over nothing, you know.

Quote:
As much as i'd like to hear about this stuff, i'm somewhat certain that they won't come.
I agree with the two things you listed, however, both of those problems can be solved before the gates to the park open.

Quote:
1. we don't have the airport facilities to accommodate such a large influx of people. i'm sure the expansion will be great, but nowhere in the realm of supporting so many people coming to a Disney park
I believe, and this is just my belief, with the right leadership and the right strategy that if Disney said they needed a larger airport that a new one would be built and finished before the park opened. It could be built just big enough (50-60 gates) to partner with San Antonio International Airport but be built in an area were future (major) expansion wouldn’t be hindered by any type of housing or retail development. Also, far enough from the city core so as is not to be greatly opposed by residents.

Sort of like Denver and how they bought tons of land in a rural and has room for as much expansion as they want.

And as the new airport grew the city could either continue to run SAT or closed it and sell the land (Developers would pay big dollars for that land).

Of course that is all in my imagination but it’s doable.

Quote:
2. we don't have enough hotels to house everyone coming to the park. even with the Disney-themed hotels that will surely follow, there's no way (in the immediate future) we can build enough places to support such a large facility of that magnitude.
I fully believe that if the city and Disney agreed to build in SA that new hotels (besides the ones being built now) in the downtown area as well as near and around any Disney park would spring up before and during the construction of the park. You're talking at least 3 years to build the park maybe longer so many many hotel rooms can be added. There are already 45,000 – 50,000 hotel rooms with two 1,000 room hotels under construction and many others. SO I don’t think the city has that much of a gap if any at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio