U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:24 AM

5,066 posts, read 7,321,488 times
Default Ikea?

This may have been discussed in the past, but is there going to be an Ikea nearby anytime soon? I enjoy the one we have in Seattle and want to pick up a few things from there after the move, and don't want to drive hours to the nearest location (north of Austin?). Are there any other trendy furniture stores in the area?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:27 AM

734 posts, read 2,026,059 times
Motif just opened at 1604/281 (Legacy - near Lifetime Fitness) but I have no idea of their price ranges. I do believe they are higher quality than IKEA though. I was going to go browse through this weekend because I was curious.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,381 posts, read 20,360,338 times
Two years ago, the closest IKEA was in Houston. Mrs. Bowie and I don't mind the drive to Round Rock nearly so much as we did the drive to Houston. We made the drive to Houston for IKEA shopping once a year, and we seem to be on a 2x/year pace to Round Rock. If IKEA opens a store here in town, I worry about how often Mrs. Bowie and I would feel compelled to visit it.

Being based in Europe, I think IKEA's growth is less affected by the current economic downturn in the US. It'll be cheaper for IKEA to expand during a recession, because they'll have less competition for resources.

This is one of the fastest-growing areas in the US and the metro area is chock-full of the younger people and families who like the merchandise they sell. My uneducated guess is that we'll see a store within a mile or two of The Rim or a mile or two of The Forum by the end of this decade.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:42 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,698,314 times
IKEA is in talks with The Rim to build at the I-10/Loop 1604 intersection. If built it will be located in a section on The Rim that has yet to begin construction. The Rim is also trying to get Sears Grand in that phase.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,668,990 times
Scuba Steve, I love your username!! I hear Adam Sandlers voice every time I see you have posted something! LOL!

Sorry, now back on topic....

Old 04-18-2008, 01:10 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,939,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
Motif just opened at 1604/281 (Legacy - near Lifetime Fitness) but I have no idea of their price ranges. I do believe they are higher quality than IKEA though. I was going to go browse through this weekend because I was curious.
Motif's price point is MUCH higher than IKEA's, as their quality and design selection is more akin to DWR than the all-MDF construction of IKEA. Motif also introduced their flagship 'studio line' in the adjoining space at The Legacy. It's really quite interesting stuff.

BN

Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 PM

5,066 posts, read 7,321,488 times
Cool, sounds like I'll have to give Motif a try after the move.

I like Ikea's style, just not their materials. Sounds like Motif doesn't use particleboard anyway. I've gone from a 3 small bedroom house to a 1 bedroom apartment (most furniture was old, gave it away) and now buying a 4 bedroom house I'll need to pick up a few things...

Even if you're not looking for a table Ikea's a cool place to go. They sell sweedish food there at a great price.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:03 AM

790 posts, read 2,052,586 times
I also love their kitchen gadgets. I had a pampered chef food chopper, but saw that Ikea had one, but it was in a black and stainless silver finish so I bought it. I like it more (the job it does) than the pc one. They have a lot of neat little things.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 AM

794 posts, read 2,835,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Motif's price point is MUCH higher than IKEA's, as their quality and design selection is more akin to DWR than the all-MDF construction of IKEA. Motif also introduced their flagship 'studio line' in the adjoining space at The Legacy. It's really quite interesting stuff.

BN
I always laugh when I see that store mentioned... "Design Within Reach". Umm, I'm just curious as to how many people find $1,200 coffee tables, $400 desk lamps and $5,500 sofas "within reach". Yes, it's very stylish furniture, and I'm sure there is a market for it. But it's laughable to think that this store is putting great design within the reach of the average consumer. I'll just have to keep window shopping.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:46 AM

790 posts, read 2,052,586 times
I have been to both locations and really like the store. True, there are some high dollar items, but there are also some affordable pieces. There are a few coffee tables that we are considering that are only $300-$500, very comparable prices to Star Furniture, etc. They also have a bar stool that I like and have not seen in any other store and it is only $99. Not really more than other barstools that I have seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio