Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:30 PM

6 posts, read 16,724 times

Advertisements

Hello there all you helpful friends,
My husband and I will be moving to San Antonio in the all too near future from the Washington, DC area. We don't have kids, so schools are not an issue. We may only be there a year, so we'd like to rent. I will be working at Wilford Hall on Lackland AFB (living there, practically) and am looking for a 20 min commute at worst. The most important things to us are access to a big park or running trail (we've got two big energetic dogs). Neighborhood can be new or old, we like an eclectic mix, but not in the ghetto.

So any suggestions for a place that would fit our needs? Would really like to live in a single family home, but might settle for a duplex or a condo with a small yard.

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 06:29 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,744,216 times
Saddle Mountain in Stone Oak backs up to Stone Oak Park and has a private entrance from within the neighborhood. It has great trails for running/walking that are tree covered. Very nice.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:33 AM

67 posts, read 274,924 times
Yes, but Stone Oak is much more than a 20 minute drive from Lackland.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:41 AM

759 posts, read 3,688,852 times
Okay, I'm going to admit that I'm not 100% sure where Lackland is (runs and hides in shame)

However, McAllister Park is amazing... tons of jogging trails and even a completely fenced in dog park where the pups can run and play off leash!!! So if you could find an apt. or home to rent near there, that would totally fit your needs. McAllister Park is in the North Central part of town.
Neighborhoods that would give walking access would be Oak Hollow, Santa Fe Trails... ahh, there are several but my brain isn't working this morning.
GL!

Old 04-20-2008, 06:59 AM

67 posts, read 274,924 times
I too live near McAllister & it is amazing, but again probably too far for these folks.

Lackland is on the SW side (Hwy 90 & 410 area). Think of having to drive through downtown and then back out. I wouldn't even want to try going around on 410 to get there. I work just off Hwy 90 near I-35. It takes me 30 minutes to get to work & Lackland is another 15 minutes from me if there isn't any traffic issues.

Maybe something on the W or NW side? 151 area?

Old 04-20-2008, 07:21 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
Something around the OP Schabel park off of Bandera might fit the bill, French Creek would be the neighborhood with direct access but the drive to Lackland might be long. Or something in the Government Canyon are might fit the bill also but I think the trails might see be in the process of being built.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:52 AM

77 posts, read 221,425 times
I'm not familiar with the Lackland area, so I can't recommend a specific neighborhood. But I do have two things to consider that apply no matter where you go.

The first was mentioned to me by the realtor when my wife and I were house shopping. We don't have any kids either, so we told her we didn't care about schools either. But she made the point that if you're planning on reselling at some point the schools are important. Just because you might not care about the quality of nearby schools doesn't mean whoever buys your house from you in a few years doesn't. A good school can raise the value of the houses in its district. Of course that means your taxes will be higher since a good school isn't cheap. But there's another thread for that.

The other thing to remember is that this is Texas. The roads are wide here. It's quite safe to run almost anywhere even if there isn't a jogging trail. My neighborhood doesn't have a dedicated running track, but traffic is light, the roads are wide, and the sidewalks are nice, so I just run around in the neighborhood. I used Google Earth to measure out several different routes in the area.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,744,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrads View Post
Yes, but Stone Oak is much more than a 20 minute drive from Lackland.
Not much further...besides - who wants to live "near" Lackland.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:31 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,422,182 times
Westcreek has 1 trail. But there are lots of runners on the roads here...and some 'unofficial' trails in the middle of the area that are worn well for running/hiking....

Old 04-24-2008, 07:59 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Not much further...
During rush hours, it takes about 45-60 mins from Lackland to Saddle Mountain.
At 3 in the morning it would take you 30 mins..

McAllister Park area should be doable in 20-30 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio